Smackdown using stock footage fan reactions?

tnauk

Saw this on another forum where i'm a regular lurker but non-poster. Thought it was pretty strange and brings up an interesting topic, do they do this regularly? Do other wrestling companies do this? Why would they do this, was the seriously no-one in the building booing Wade that they could have shown? Is angry Miz girl really a 35 year old woman with a hatred for Papa Shango?

A Weird Thing Happened While Watching SmackDown Tonight..I saw myself and my girlfriend at the show. Now you're probably thinking "good for you, you went to Smackdown." But I didn't..

The footage they showed was from the April 30th, 2010 Smackdown in Hershey, PA. My girlfriend was wearing a green and white t-shirt, I was wearing a black polo shirt. It was while Jack Swagger was the champion, he came out to cut a promo. She was yelling "you suck" I stood there with my hands in the thumbs down position. The footage of us aired on Smackdown, you can probably find that show on Hulu.

Now tonight we were watching the Smackdown from Green Bay, Wisconsin. Wade Barrett had just cut a promo on the Elimination Chamber and Rey Mysterio. The camera then cut to a close-up of her and I from the April 30th, 2010 in Herhsey, PA. The same footage that was shown of us 10 months previous. Her in the green and white shirt, myself in the black polo for several seconds. Barrett's music continues to play in the background, as if her and I, Pennsylvania residents who didnt attend, where at the show. If you happened to DVR Smackdown tonight check it out.

Now I know this is probably a pointless post and I don't mean to waste anyone's time. I just thought this was such an odd thing to have happened. It raised several questions between her and I.

Why would they use 10 month old footage for just 3 seconds like that after a Wade Barrett promo?

Why us? Why that show? Was there really no one booing Barrett they could of shown?

Did someone in the editing department say; "Hey, remember those two from Smackdown on April 30th in Hershey? Lets throw them into this show for a few seconds!"

Hopefully some of you found the humor we found in this tonight. We are still very confused. I wonder how often this happens. Now I will be skeptical everytime they show a close-up of fans at SmackDown shows wondering "are they really there?"

By the way, I would never boo Wade Barrett.

Why would they do this

Because they liked that reaction better than any the cameras picked up on on the night, I imagine. Wrestling companies have used stock crowd reactions on pre-taped shows for years.

Really? Its not something i ever noticed before tbh, and something i wouldn't think they'd need to do. I know canned audio has been piped in on wrestling shows for years but thought this was a whole new level.

It's probably not something they need to do, but it's not uncommon. Smackdown's often got these close-up shots of fit women in the front rows who then don't seem to be there during the rest of the show. They always used to use stock reactions on the weekend shows whenever there was a chairshot/punch/kick as well.

Most people shouldn't notice it because if you remember the crowd that much, you're clearly watching it too often.

Obviously there's the occasional memorable one but there's no reason the majority should be remembered.

You'd only notice if it were you or someone you know!

WWF were bad for it during the mid nineties. I remember one they seemed to be on every show for months was of a guy holding his nose in a you stink kind of way, while giving the thumbs down with the other hand. Another was of a woman dressed in Shawn Michaels type clothing along with the gay hat he used to wear at the time crying.

i was going to post that, there was another one many years back when smackdown first aired on sky one in the morning, and when there was a weapon shot or something they didn't want to show you they showed a fan doing a shocked face but the weird thing is, it was from monday night raw from 99.

think back to big show vs taker, taker busts a baseball bat over shows head

lol reminds me of what they did with Ricardo Rodriguez.

Anyone who went to the SD taping in Manchester back in November will have noticed he wasn't there but you could hear him over the speakers, come Friday when the show aired there he was in the middle of the ring. :)

Archived