USB to SATA/IDE converter

King Pitcos

usb2ide.jpg

Just bought a cheap one of these on ebay (it's got a SATA port as well, but that's irrelevant to me at the moment) to get the data from an old laptop with a fucked power supply. I've taken the 2.5" hard drive out of the laptop, connected it all up to the desktop, and XP recognises the USB device and the hard drive as connected devices. I can hear/feel the drive spinning... But it doesn't show up in My Computer or Disk Management or anything.

Anyone got experience with these things?

One of the instructions that came with the device is "Connect AC power to SATA/IDE device" suggesting that the converter cable itself isn't strong enough to power the drive properly. Which renders it fucking useless, surely?

If you laptop hard drive is SATA you can plug a SATA molex power connector straight into it because 2.5" & 3.5" SATA drives have the same connections.

If its IDE you need something like below to connect it up.

laptop25IDEfull.jpg

It basically converts a 2.5" drive to have the connections of a normal hard drive so you can plug it into your desktop PC.

The thing you've bought will work with a SATA hard drive (if you plug a molex connector into it) but its need a power source for an IDE hard drive.

Was yours something like this, Stylin'? http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-IDE-CABLE...7944&sr=8-2

When the converter I have is connected, I don't see any room on the connector end of the drive to attach a power supply to. In the laptop, it was only connected via IDE. So I'm guessing I'd have to buy an adapter with a power supply and the 2.5" to 3.5" converter in Rossman's picture.

I'd still need the USB adapter/power supply thing as well though -- I don't want to connect anything to the motherboard of my PC, if I can help it (PC's a bit fucked, and backing everything up for hard drive replacement in there is the ultimate intention of this USB-to-IDE plan). Ideally, I'll do the actual file transfer via this 2.5" drive and a properly-enclosed external drive via a netbook.

I could just buy an external 2.5" drive enclosure, but those are only USB-powered so would that work?

I'd still need the USB adapter/power supply thing as well though -- I don't want to connect anything to the motherboard of my PC, if I can help it (PC's a bit fucked, and backing everything up for hard drive replacement in there is the ultimate intention of this USB-to-IDE plan). Ideally, I'll do the actual file transfer via this 2.5" drive and a properly-enclosed external drive via a netbook.

I could just buy an external 2.5" drive enclosure, but those are only USB-powered so would that work?

Yeah, an external enclosure will work. A 2.5" drive should run off a single USB cable if you're running it on a USB 2 port. If its USB 1 or a power hungry hard drive it needs 2 USB cables plugged into it. Like this one.

Archived