Sting

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

Given that Steve 'Sting' Borden hasnt re-signed with TNA yet, and it is often speculate dthat he would sign with WWE, i was wondering wether if he did join the WWE wether he would get the star treatment. I know that WWE have always been very polite and complementary regarding Sting, but would the fact that he was the 'headline act for WWE's 2 biggest rivals in recent years (WCW and TNA) count against him.

Personally i think there would be a lot of plusses to Sting going to WWE:

For WWE

Chance to do a DVD that would sell loads

HOF inductee

Would tie in to WWE's propsoed WCW tie in at WM

Potentialy money clash with Taker

For Sting

Chance to do a DVD that would sell loads

Chance to 'retire' at the BIG company

HOF induction

PG content which coincides with stings beliefs

I think it would be win/win for all. Could WWE, given its history of burying ex 'other' company talent bring itself to go all out for a star though that was one of WCW's biggest (arguably biggest) catalyst in the Monday night wars?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think Sting would bother with WWE on a long term basis anyway, maybe a Hall of Fame induction and leading to Wrestlemania program. If you look at other former external stars Steiner and Goldberg in particular there entry to the company and first few months were very strong. It was when there weaknesses and the WWE system not being geared up to help protect them and push them how they should be became apparent that promlems arose.

as has been said many times, the Mcmahons respect sting and if you look at how he is portrayed on any DVD's Monday Night Wars, Rise and Fall of WCW, Flair DVD's etc it is always very positive. I think there was a plan at one point to release a Sting DVD even if he didnt get involved just showing his best WCW matches.

Personally I think when Sting is really done he will contact the Mcmahons and get that DVD deal and the star treatment, it really wouldnt be selling out if he has control and it would finish off his legacy. Plus I hope so as still want to see Sting Vs Taker

I think Sting might like to retire with the pride of having never worked for the 'big' company. I guess it comes down to what Stings motives are. Money, Hall of Fame and the chance to have all his best matches archived are all good but is that what Sting wants?

I'm sure a Hall of Fame spot is a guarantee at some point down the road and I think one of the main reasons Sting would agree to do it is for the potential to have all the archive footage. TNA can bring out as many Sting DVD's as they want but WWE own all the good stuff and I'm sure Sting would love to have all that on a DVD set and be able to do his own commentary on the extras and stuff. I know Bret Hart fought for years to access old footage.

Having Sting inducted along with the other big name they've already announced (Not spoiling it for anyone who hasn't watched Raw) would guarantee they sell out the tickets for the ceremony. I think the whole WCW themed HOF/Mania has been scrapped but having those two massive names would do good business. One of the greatest stars of the WWF/E who's never worked for the competition and one of the competitions greatest stars who's never worked for the WWF/E. Sounds good to me.

• Paid Members

I really really love sting to be in WWE, i think WWE would give him the star treatment in the short term.

Sadly it looks like hes about to turn up in TNA under the new MEM, although i would of actually screamed like a girl if he turned up in the rumble, then wreslted a wee bit, got the HOF then retired after being beating by undertaker.

One can dream.......

I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't like to see him wrestle in the WWE if he came in. However if Sting was to do anything with the WWE, he'd need to be wearing the face paint and gear. Him showing up in regular suits with the shades wouldn't have the same effect and obviously if he was face painted up with the singlet you'd expect him to wrestle. Catch 22 really.

I've heard so much about how people want Sting to come in and get all this star treatment.

Considering WWE owe Sting a grand sum of fuck all, why should they? Do people expect Sting to spike a rating or pop a buyrate? I honestly don't, not this long after the death of WCW.

So, if I ran WWE I wouldn't bother with Sting regardless of the vocal minority's wish-list.

I would consider an HoF induction but that would depend on the rest of the class. he certainly wouldn't be the number one induction. I'd have him go in when Warrior does. And he must appear as he did back in the early 90's - looking cool, because in the late 90s he turned to that shit goth look that makes we want to change the channel.

• Paid Members
I've heard so much about how people want Sting to come in and get all this star treatment.

Considering WWE owe Sting a grand sum of fuck all, why should they? Do people expect Sting to spike a rating or pop a buyrate? I honestly don't, not this long after the death of WCW.

So, if I ran WWE I wouldn't bother with Sting regardless of the vocal minority's wish-list.

I would consider an HoF induction but that would depend on the rest of the class. he certainly wouldn't be the number one induction. I'd have him go in when Warrior does. And he must appear as he did back in the early 90's - looking cool, because in the late 90s he turned to that shit goth look that makes we want to change the channel.

To be fair though, WWE have always been interested in him, as hes met vince on many occasions to talk about it, and hes passed every time.

Regardless of his "shit goth look" in 97/98 that starcade match with hogan was WCW's biggest thing, and Sting always was WCWs top guy, even when the likes of hogan/savage came in. Yeah, i'll agree many wont know who he is, but i'll compare this to When flair came in to WWF back in 92. Id imagine many WWF fans wouldnt have a clue, but vince treated him with respect by giving him the WWE title twice, although eventually flair got sucked into the WWE booking machine, and decieded to leave as he didnt feel he was a top dude.

The younger fans wouldnt have a clue, but a quick WWE made "Sting promo video" will get people up to speed fairly quickly, and i can guarentee there are many sting fans out there who would take notice. Again it would only ever work short term, but i would love it.

I don't understand people saying there's no point bringing Sting in as no one who will know who he is. They brought back Bret Hart. He left the Federation in 1997, and was off WCW programming before it's demise.

Brets a different situation to sting as he has had recognition througout most of the time he was gone as well as a HOF induction and a DVD plus WWE own all of harts best matches and promote them regularly. They haven't mentioned sting since that tribute video in 2001

• Paid Members
They haven't mentioned sting since that tribute video in 2001

Which tribute video was that?

Although it may be fan created i seem to think it was shown on WWF TV once or twice

I dont think sting has ever been shown on WWE TV (as in raw or smackdown), although i know they used to mention him (or still do when it happens) when shelton used to use the stinger splash. Sting used his old WCW footage for the DVD he had out a long time ago, which was with WWE's permission.

• Paid Members
They haven't mentioned sting since that tribute video in 2001

Which tribute video was that?

Although it may be fan created i seem to think it was shown on WWF TV once or twice

Great video, although does look fan-created. There's a Sky Sports watermark at the start where the album cover is, but then disappears on the Sting clips.

I was /still am a major Sting mark, but what does grate me a little is that he has for you could say at least 1/3 of his career just patently phoned it in. It frustartes me that like in 2006 he got in good shape and changed his face paint/attire, and then a week or 2 later its abck to the same 'old' again. Its like before he just left he came back with Wolfpac red paint and i loved it. then you dont see it again. Ive always ehard though that Steve Borden was never 'in love' with the business and i think even Bischoff (a sting mark) said that we never saw 100% really of Stings potential as he never went that extra yard.

Archived