Survivor Series 1988 - The Double Turn

Dashing

So I've been watching Survivor Series 1988 for the first time in a few years and me and a mate were discussing how odd and confusing the double turn between Demolition/Powers of Pain was at the time.

For those who haven't seen it, or are in need of a refresher; Mr Fuji opens the rope when Smash hits them, leaving him to go tumbling to the floor. Fuji basically doesn't care and proceeds to tell Ax that he's the boss and they listen to him. When Ax turns his back, Fuji wallops him with the cane but hasn't bargained for a recovered Smash giving him a giant wedgie and chucking him back to Ax. Ax then slams him on the floor and the Demolition boys leave the ringside as amidst this chaos, they'd been eliminated by count-out I believe.

As Fuji is laid out on the floor with his undies stuck up his arse and his shirt untucked, the Powers of Pain go over and help him up. Fuji is glad of the helping hand and is in the Powers of Pain's corner for the rest of the match. The only teams left are the Powers themselves and the Conquistadors. The Powers win not long after.

Whilst the Powers & Fuji are celebrating in the ring to the sound of cheers, the Demolition lads run back out and twat them to the sound of boos. How very confusing. Most people seem to think Fuji had turned face. To add to the insanity, when the Powers high-tail it down the aisle, they're still behaving like faces. Not only that but they'd been left against a boring, go nowhere heel team in the Conquistadors.

Badly executed?

When seeing this in 1988, I absolutely loved it. I still do.

Fuji didnt switch from heel to face though, Powers of Pain switched from face to heel and Demolition switched from heel to face (as can be seen from the matches after this double switch).

Yeah but i think the OP is specifically referring to the night of the change and how you as a fan took it initially

Looking back they could have handled it much better and perhaps a 20 man elimination tag wasn't the right way to go about it.

But when you analyse it Fuji never changes his mannerisms in any way if anything he out-heels Demolition

The confusion probably comes by seeing two monsters of men beating up an old Japanese man in a bowlers hat, and we have to cheer for this.

Also if i remember rightly didn't the POP after winning the match elevate Fuji on their shoulders and pander to the fans a bit?

I can't remember who else was Fuji managing at this time? Muraco was face by then .. :confused:

Yeah but i think the OP is specifically referring to the night of the change and how you as a fan took it initially

Looking back they could have handled it much better and perhaps a 20 man elimination tag wasn't the right way to go about it.

But when you analyse it Fuji never changes his mannerisms in any way if anything he out-heels Demolition

The confusion probably comes by seeing two monsters of men beating up an old Japanese man in a bowlers hat, and we have to cheer for this.

Also if i remember rightly didn't the POP after winning the match elevate Fuji on their shoulders and pander to the fans a bit?

I can't remember who else was Fuji managing at this time? Muraco was face by then .. :confused:

Demolition got cheers for slamming Fuji during the match as i remember. Yes the POP did get cheered when they won, but i'm sure there were some boos when they put Fuji on their shoulders.

Seeing as though it was 1988, I think they got away with it. However if something like that happened by today's standards, it would have come across as lame. I also recently watched Survivor Series '88 for the first time in years as I've been going through the Survivor Series DVD boxsets. Whilst on the whole I've enjoyed most of what I've seen (I'm up to SS '90 now), some of it is very dated and the double turn is a prime example of that.

Just wondering why WWE only released the first ten years of Survivor Series on DVD. Maybe it's because a lot of Survivor Series events actually stopped (or at least cut down on) the traditional elimination tag matches in later years?

Seeing as though it was 1988, I think they got away with it. However if something like that happened by today's standards, it would have come across as lame. I also recently watched Survivor Series '88 for the first time in years as I've been going through the Survivor Series DVD boxsets. Whilst on the whole I've enjoyed most of what I've seen (I'm up to SS '90 now), some of it is very dated and the double turn is a prime example of that.

Just wondering why WWE only released the first ten years of Survivor Series on DVD. Maybe it's because a lot of Survivor Series events actually stopped (or at least cut down on) the traditional elimination tag matches in later years?

yep survivor series is dogshit now, just like any ppview now

• Paid Members

Might be something to do with the constant blurring of the WWF logo?

Archived