SOUTHSIDE present - 5TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW - 24th OCT - STEVENAGE

Southside crew

Good showing by all entrants in the tournament. Gutted PAC didn't make the final but what you can you do.

Ego Dragon was good as always vs Mark Haskins.

PAC Vs Travis had some nice moments.

There was some confusion about the Bubblegum Vs Max Angelus Vs Danny Chase match as we thought it was a one fall finish then it was an elimination match. Nice to see Bubblegum's 180 change from face to cocky heel.

Ligero/Kirby delivered as usual.

Dar Vs Spud and Dar Vs Marty were my Match of the Afternoon.

Left after the show finished so missed the Marty/Spud confrontation at the merch table.

Wish Spud had come out after Marty had won so he could give him a low blow and berate him. When will these guys finally face off?! :)

I felt the womens match fell flat. I think if it had been Shanna Vs Kay Lee Ray it would have flowed better.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll hold my hand up to the three way confusion. I first announced it as elimination then apparently I also said one fall to a finish. Adam told me this after the show. I had no idea I said that at the time so it was my bad. Sorry for the confusion.

• Paid Members
Enjoyed that show thoroughly. Don't often get to shows these days as there's not many in Boston (and when there are, I seem to be either ill, or expected to be somewhere else), with the line up I had to attend this one, and was glad I did. Good to see guys like Travis, Ligero, Bubblegum and Kirby again. Danny Chase is still doing well, with some painful looking bumps outside the ring.

Top performances by all, hopefully will be living in Leicester soon enough, so should be attending more Southside shows.

Really glad you enjoyed it buddy , next show on June 23rd ;)

Firstly want to say how much I liked the new venue great setup as usually from the Southside team.

Also the new Speed King belt looked awesome.

The show opened with Ego Dragon against TNA's Mark Haskins good little match with some solid action and a few high spots, Ego Dragon picked up a victory to advance to the final 6 way main event. Ego Dragon seems to get better everytime I see him and is a true Southside homegrown talent.

Next up was a 3 way (fought under elimination rules) pitting Bubblegum, Max Angelus and Danny Chase. Max and Danny were well over with the crowd (as expected) and Bubblegum played the heel to perfection playing the crowd well to get heat. Bubblegum caught a kick quite early into the match which split his eye open but continued like a true pro it was my first time seeing Bubblegum and must say I was impressed. Max got DQ'd after Stixx interjected a chair into the action, Bubblegum and Max both argued over the chair accidently taking Chase out then Bubblegum faked injury causing the ref to believe Max had used the chair on both causing the DQ, Bubblegum advanced to the final by beating Chase.

Next up was Marty Scurll vs Robbie X (I was really looking forward to this match) Both Marty and Robbie delivered big time producing some great moves and lots of near falls, this match was also very stiff inc some brutal kicks. This match was defently Robbie's biggest match to date and he done himself proud. Marty eventually won afer some great action. Nice touch of sportsmanship at the end and great respect shown by both.

Spud vs Noam Dar was match number 4 and had some background going in due to Spud's youtube promo. Spud made his usual enterence and the crowd ate it up Spud really needs be seen live to appreciate how well he can play a crowd. Dar made his enterence and was clearly the crowd favourite from the start. This match was fast paced and very physically. When Noam made Spud tap the crowd exploded.

El Ligero and Martin Kirby were up next and the crowd was very split as to who they wanted to win with duelling El Ligero/Martin Kirby chants and yes yes yes/si si si chants at various points in the match. The match was very solid and delivered as expected both put in a fine effort with Ligero advancing to the final

The last quilifying match saw Pac vs Travis. The crowd popped big time for Pac and were clearly behind him, the match was really fast paced and feauture some great spots inc a mootsault from Pac from the top rope to the outside and many high spots, the action was back and forth and at times stiff. At one point during the match Pac launched Travis high into the air and the crowd loved it, Travis got the win and the crowd showed their displeasure, Travis clearly loved the heat.

During the intermission there was a chance to get your photo taken in the ring with Pac(for a small fee) which was a great touch by Southside how often will you get a chance like that.

After the break was a guest match from Pro Wrestling Eve (which seems to be a Southside trait and was a welcome change to break up the flow of action) Shanna vs Holly Rocamora. The match featured a fantastic looking powerbomb from Holly and she seems to be improving greatly everytime I see her she is def one to watch. Shanna picked up the victory.

It was now time for the main event a 6 way elinination match to crown the first ever SWE Speed King Champion.

Bubblegum was quickly rolled up and eliminated by El Ligero, Ego dragon was DQ'd for hitting Ligero with a chair and then Travis quickly took advantare to eliminate Ligero, this left us with Scurll, Travis and Dar. Dar made travis tap out to leave just Marty and Noam, these 2 went back and forth for about 10 mins and had a great exchange and you felt that either man could win. Marty finally picked up the victory to crown him the first Speed king Champion, Scurll showed Dar great respect and offered him the first chance of a title mach which sent the crowd home happy

After the show as Marty was signing at the merch table Spud came out and spat in marty's face the 2 exchanged words before Spud flipped over Marty's table before leaving. You could sense the tention between the 2 of them hopefully leading to a match in the near future.

Overall this was a fantasic show every match was fantastic and it is hard to pick a MOTN. The crowd were very vocal and the action seemed to hold their attention. The venue was nice and easily the biggest Nottingham crowd for Southside extra seating was added and the show was a sell out. This was also def worth the price of admission and I highly reccomend getting the DVD when it becomes available, I very much doubt that you could find a single fan who didnt enjoy the show and it will def help Southsides fan base grow. I have been to many shows and not only was this the best Southside show I have attended at this point but without a doubt the best UK independant show I have ever witnessed live. I just want to say a huge thankyou to all involved with Southside for continuing to deliver fantastic and great value enertainment and can easily see why many claim that this compony is the fastest growing and must see promotion in the UK.

I'll hold my hand up to the three way confusion. I first announced it as elimination then apparently I also said one fall to a finish. Adam told me this after the show. I had no idea I said that at the time so it was my bad. Sorry for the confusion.

It's ok, Dale. We will have to get some cards written out for you for the next show! :)

• Paid Members

It's ok, Dale. We will have to get some cards written out for you for the next show! :)

He did get them honest , I know I had the hangover from hell but luckily everything was 100% prepared by Friday lol

• Paid Members
Firstly want to say how much I liked the new venue great setup as usually from the Southside team.

Also the new Speed King belt looked awesome.

The show opened with Ego Dragon against TNA's Mark Haskins good little match with some solid action and a few high spots, Ego Dragon picked up a victory to advance to the final 6 way main event. Ego Dragon seems to get better everytime I see him and is a true Southside homegrown talent.

Next up was a 3 way (fought under elimination rules) pitting Bubblegum, Max Angelus and Danny Chase. Max and Danny were well over with the crowd (as expected) and Bubblegum played the heel to perfection playing the crowd well to get heat. Bubblegum caught a kick quite early into the match which split his eye open but continued like a true pro it was my first time seeing Bubblegum and must say I was impressed. Max got DQ'd after Stixx interjected a chair into the action, Bubblegum and Max both argued over the chair accidently taking Chase out then Bubblegum faked injury causing the ref to believe Max had used the chair on both causing the DQ, Bubblegum advanced to the final by beating Chase.

Next up was Marty Scurll vs Robbie X (I was really looking forward to this match) Both Marty and Robbie delivered big time producing some great moves and lots of near falls, this match was also very stiff inc some brutal kicks. This match was defently Robbie's biggest match to date and he done himself proud. Marty eventually won afer some great action. Nice touch of sportsmanship at the end and great respect shown by both.

Spud vs Noam Dar was match number 4 and had some background going in due to Spud's youtube promo. Spud made his usual enterence and the crowd ate it up Spud really needs be seen live to appreciate how well he can play a crowd. Dar made his enterence and was clearly the crowd favourite from the start. This match was fast paced and very physically. When Noam made Spud tap the crowd exploded.

El Ligero and Martin Kirby were up next and the crowd was very split as to who they wanted to win with duelling El Ligero/Martin Kirby chants and yes yes yes/si si si chants at various points in the match. The match was very solid and delivered as expected both put in a fine effort with Ligero advancing to the final

The last quilifying match saw Pac vs Travis. The crowd popped big time for Pac and were clearly behind him, the match was really fast paced and feauture some great spots inc a mootsault from Pac from the top rope to the outside and many high spots, the action was back and forth and at times stiff. At one point during the match Pac launched Travis high into the air and the crowd loved it, Travis got the win and the crowd showed their displeasure, Travis clearly loved the heat.

During the intermission there was a chance to get your photo taken in the ring with Pac(for a small fee) which was a great touch by Southside how often will you get a chance like that.

After the break was a guest match from Pro Wrestling Eve (which seems to be a Southside trait and was a welcome change to break up the flow of action) Shanna vs Holly Rocamora. The match featured a fantastic looking powerbomb from Holly and she seems to be improving greatly everytime I see her she is def one to watch. Shanna picked up the victory.

It was now time for the main event a 6 way elinination match to crown the first ever SWE Speed King Champion.

Bubblegum was quickly rolled up and eliminated by El Ligero, Ego dragon was DQ'd for hitting Ligero with a chair and then Travis quickly took advantare to eliminate Ligero, this left us with Scurll, Travis and Dar. Dar made travis tap out to leave just Marty and Noam, these 2 went back and forth for about 10 mins and had a great exchange and you felt that either man could win. Marty finally picked up the victory to crown him the first Speed king Champion, Scurll showed Dar great respect and offered him the first chance of a title mach which sent the crowd home happy

After the show as Marty was signing at the merch table Spud came out and spat in marty's face the 2 exchanged words before Spud flipped over Marty's table before leaving. You could sense the tention between the 2 of them hopefully leading to a match in the near future.

Overall this was a fantasic show every match was fantastic and it is hard to pick a MOTN. The crowd were very vocal and the action seemed to hold their attention. The venue was nice and easily the biggest Nottingham crowd for Southside extra seating was added and the show was a sell out. This was also def worth the price of admission and I highly reccomend getting the DVD when it becomes available, I very much doubt that you could find a single fan who didnt enjoy the show and it will def help Southsides fan base grow. I have been to many shows and not only was this the best Southside show I have attended at this point but without a doubt the best UK independant show I have ever witnessed live. I just want to say a huge thankyou to all involved with Southside for continuing to deliver fantastic and great value enertainment and can easily see why many claim that this compony is the fastest growing and must see promotion in the UK.

Amazing review - thanks buddy :)

Okay more in-depth thoughts as promised, but nowhere near as early I should have done them as their is a danger of misremembering things!

Really enjoyed Haskins/Dragon as the opener. Haskins just seems to get better and better year in and out and it's all down to that international experience he's had in Japan and America. Dragon is definitely not a new-comer to the BritWres scene. There's no way that a guy who only showed up barely a year ago can wrestle that good, especially against an opponent the calibre of Haskins. There were some really good moments in this match that even stand out now (six days later...) including Haskins suicide dive near the beginning of the match, Haskins typical kip-up's showing off his great athleticism and Dragon's kicks. I figured that if one of the international names were to be sacrificed it would most likely be Haskins, but I did like how it was a "cheap" victory for Dragon as he had to resort to a low-blow behind the referee's back and then roll up to manage to defeat Haskins. Put Dragon over as a heel and kept Haskins strong for any future appearances and I wouldn't mind seeing him again in a Southside ring as the guy has really been busting his ass in England while TNA aren't featuring him.

The show kept strong with the three-way straight after and I'm glad the decision was made to take Dar out and swap Bubblegum in as Bubblegum's character and chavvy attitude really shone in this match. I took a BritWres virgin to this show and one of the people that really stood out to him was Bubblegum, in spite of the fact that he actively hates chavs! Max Angelus really impressed me. Very first time seeing him and he has the potential to go very far so I hope to see him a lot more in the future. Great look, fantastic charisma (he looks and acts like a more bulked up Johnny Gargano to me) so while I'm late to the bandwagon I will go on record to say that I do think Angelus will be one of BritWres's future stars if he continues to improve, and he might not even stop at BritWres. Thought Danny Chase looked decent, but it's hard to stand out when you're in the same ring as two incredibly charismatic wrestlers like Bubblegum and Angelus. In saying that he and Angelus had some great exchanges in the ring to show how often they must wrestle each other. Bubblegum got a nasty cut above his eye that I can only assume Angelus dished out as they were in the ring together when it happened, and he did seem to be visibly annoyed by it. But Bubblegum was able to make the most of a bad situation as he could later claim Angelus attacked him with a chair - About five minutes after he'd already started bleeding! Was disappointed to see Angelus eliminated first but the angle with Stixx and Bubblegum doing an "Eddie" with the chair and blaming Angelus was excellent. The confusion with the music playing was distracting, and while Chase and Gum did have a decent little back and forth, there was no doubt what so ever that Bubblegum would win and advance.

Robbie X vs Marty Scurll had the potential to be a break out match for the former and yet another showcase to show why I consider the latter to be the best wrestler in England right now, so I had high hopes for this match and I am pleased to say they were met. There are a lot of talented young cruiser-weight wrestlers in England right now like Owen Phoenix, Benham Ali, MK McKinnon, Mark Andrews, etc etc who appear to really be the future of the juniors in BritWres and all of them have had international experience that has only increased their profile and talents. I am of the mind that with time and the opportunity, Robbie X could rub shoulders with them into the future. It's just a matter of him proving himself working with some of England's best, and with Marty he more than passed the test. Robbie was crisp and fluid in all of his actions in the ring and is really reminiscent of a young PAC before he got his big breaks with IPW:UK/1PW that then ended with him going to America and ultimately Japan. I did like how Scurll was more about having fun in the ring and interacting with the audience and did as the lot more experienced wrestler have a lot of control over the match, but this in turn forced Robbie to step up his game and it was believable that Marty could have underestimated him allowing Robbie opportunities to really claw himself back into the match. While Marty did win, he did have to resort to his newest big finishing move, that torture rack backbreaker into the knees, and then showed a sign of respect raising Robbie's hand after the match.

I absolutely loved Spud vs Dar. Spud is such a fantastic character and he plays it so well as examplified by his entrance, jawing with the fans and refusing to relent from posing on the ring apron. Noam showed a lot of fire and intensity as a full-blown face as it really was believable he wanted to kick Spud's face in, attacking him before the match even began. The battle cry of "I hate Rockstar Spud" may have gotten one of the biggest pops of the night. Dar went for his customary spot of putting Spud's leg on the rope for him to come off the top rope with a double stomp directly onto the knee, but Spud moved. Spud soon regretted that as Dar took him out with a suicide dive that went right into a free front row seat. They brawled around the ring where Spud was able to take back the advantage by slamming Dar into the steel ring post. Dar was able to get back into the match by reversing a powerbomb attempt on the outside. I loved how Dar again went for the double stomp to the knee off the top again, for Spud to once again manoeuvre out of it. But after more back and forth wrestling - And kicking, lots of kicking from Dar's end - And a second trip outside the ring, Dar lifted Spud up into the air to crotch him on the steel ring step and then *finally* got the double stomp to the knee, an innovation this time as he took a run up to dropkick Spud right in the knee when pressed up against the ring post. In the ring Dar was able to hit the regular version of that double stomp, and Spud's selling and pain was well felt to the audiences glee. An absolutely fantastic finishing stretch as Spud desperately went for the victory at any means necessary with a low-blow and roll up that won Ego Dragon his match in the opener, but Dar managed to kick out after a delayed count. But as soon as Dar had that heel hook locked in, Spud didn't take long in tapping after the devastation done to his knee. Fantastic match and loved seeing Dar as a full-on babyface.

The good times kept rolling with Ligero vs Kirby. These two could have a good match blindfolded against each other, so fortunately they had a great match with both eyes open. This was the first match with a real face vs face divide and the crowd really was split between the two, probably leaning more towards Ligero but there were a fair few Kirby supporters. Some very nice hold for hold wrestling with neither man showing an obvious advantage over the other. The pace picked up but Kirby managed to keep up with Ligero just when you thought a faster paced match would be towards Ligero's advantage. There were some great reversals, dodges and escapes that not only highlighted how well each man knew the other, but the skill of each wrestler to carry out intricate and well-timed spots without it seeming forced and rehearsed to the nth degree. This really was the human game of chess as each tried to think two/three moves ahead, fore thinking what their opponent would do, and how an opponent could potentially reverse their own move and then use that opportunity to their own advantage. And the finish was really simple and well executed. Kirby had already hit his roll through neckbreaker once before in the match, he went for it again and with Ligero on his feet with his back to Kirby, hooked his arms into a well-played backslide for a three count.

After five matches, all living up to expectations and with Spud/Dar being absolutely fantastic, it would be a hard task for PAC/Travis to top everything that came before it. Especially with PAC's international standing and that he truly has become one of the best cruiserweight wrestlers in England and potentially England's best export out there in the world right now. But these two really did go above and beyond. I don't know if it's due to being *slightly* disappointed with PAC's match the night before, and because PAC/Travis wasn't a match I would have booked straight away (oh trust me, given the chance it would have been booked but most likely after some other choice matches) but due to all of that these two really went all out to steal the show. Trav attacked before the match started and even hit a suicide dive. PAC spent a lot of time on the defensive as Trav tried every dirty trick in the book in order to stay in charge of the match, but PAC's elbows that he really did lay in, kept him alive. PAC hit a *beautiful* corkscrew moonsault to the outside that really was a sight to behold. As has already been mentioned, PAC launched Trav so high into the air it looked likely that Trav could've touched the ceiling on his way up. He's really learnt a lot from Shingo Takagi doing the same to him. And I really did like the finish with PAC getting Trav's knees on the SSP and then Trav hitting his under-hook piledriver for the win. While I was disappointed to see PAC go out in the first round, the match was really good and probably my MOTN, and getting to see a talent like PAC live and in person on these smaller shows should really be appreciated.

Shanna/Holly was okay and killed some time before the main event. Shanna has got a great look and her character down. Holly has got a unique look although she didn't look as in good shape as she did in December. And unfortunately her wrestling skill hasn't improved since December either as there was an awkward moment at the beginning of the match when the match should have started with Shanna charging and attacking Holly with a drop-kick, but Holly was horribly out of position and Shanna hit thin air. It was a short and basic match so I do hope Holly gets opportunity to improve as she does have potential.

And the main event was fantastic and a great caper on the evening. Loved Bubblegum's elimination, just prior to when he was going to expose Ligero's shady back story. Shame that he had to go so early as he really did impress in the three-way and my mate rated him very highly. The three faces in the match worked over Ego Dragon, even as Trav sarcastically asked to be tagged in to help work over Dragon. Eventually Ligero and Dragon were left in the ring together long enough for Dragon to take a chair and attack him with it causing the DQ. I liked it as it builds up nicely to their match at the end of next month in Cambridge. Travis quickly took advantage and rolled up Ligero for the three count, however wrestling booking 101 of the guy who beat the big import sure to win it all came to a crashing halt when Dar eliminated Travis with his heel hook. What followed was 5 or so minutes of some of the best wrestling all night as Scurll and Dar both gave their all to become the first Speed King Champion. Dar successfully managed to avoid the torture rack back breaker into the knees. Scurll survived the heel hook. It was a battle of elbows vs kicks as each man really laid it in, especially when they were on the ring apron together striking each other. Scurll really was a deserving first Champion, but I really can't wait for that rematch against Dar. Both of these are two future stars, both will feature in my top 3 on the UKFF50 as it stands right now, and I can't wait for the first time ever singles match between these two to take place. It really will be quiet the coop for Southside.

This was definitely the best Southside show I have been too yet, and one of the strongest shows I've seen so far this year. Even with the matches all mainly featuring cruiser weight matches, each had enough about it to stand out individually and a lot of the wrestlers on this show all had their own unique characteristics to keep things fresh and interesting. When this comes out on DVD it will definitely be worth a purchase, if only for Dar/Spud, PAC/Travis and the main event alone but all six qualifiers and main event are all worth going out of your way to see.

Now with Scurll as first Speed King Champ I'm looking forward to the eventual match against Dar and would like to see matches against Haskins, Ligero, Travis, Kirby, Angelus and Robbie as I really think these two could be seen as great contenders to the belt one day. And as far as dream matches go, I will never give up hope on Scurll vs PAC..... Y'know if he's ever available again. And while it's already happened twice, maybe third time would be lucky and I will finally be able to see Scurll vs Zack Sabre Jr?

This really was one of the best BritWres shows I've had the pleasure of working at over the past few months, for sure.

It was an absolute dream to photograph it and capture the moments. There wasn't a dull match all night, and the crowd were hot and appreciative the whole night.

I Agree with the comments about Robbie having a breakout match. He looked like he belonged there, and as long as promoters continue to appreciate his potential and give him the chance to gain the experience he needs against established talent like Marty, then I really think he can be the next breakout cruiserweight sooner rather than later. Southside got it spot on giving him this match.

Kirby/Ligero had some fantastic chain wrestling and was a pleasure. These two (understandably) have amazing chemistry and it shone through here with some great counters and roll throughs. Really enjoyed this from a wrestling point of view.

The crowd were TOTALLY into Dar vs Spud. Spud is one of my favourite characters in recent years, and his stalling on the apron had myself and the front row I was crouching near in absolute hysterics. There's just natural charisma there and something that you love to hate. Dar's winning got probably the loudest reaction of the night up till that point.

As if the first five matches weren't exhillerating enough, we then got Pac vs Kris Travis. My picture of Trav getting launched up in the air doesn't really do it justice. It's worth buying the DVD just for this match, yet alone everything else. Simply fantastic performance from Kris, and Pac proved just why - like others have said, he's a worthy export to places like Japan and the US. This totally stole the show for me.

The question is... how can Southside top this? I'm sure we'll all have fun finding out, and it'll be a pleasure to help capture the moments. I Really believe this is one of the best promotions in the country at the moment. Those aren't forced words because I work there - those are genuine beliefs from me who's still a huge fan :)

Archived