SOUTHSIDE present - 5TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW - 24th OCT - STEVENAGE

Southside crew

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I'm very happy with. Andrews has been a guy I've been quite keen to see more of after only prior seeing him in 4FW, AAW and RevPro so made up he's having a real baptism of fire with his first few announced matches against Rich Swann and Tommy End. Hope Andrews more than lives up to those bookings because he's going to need to make an impression in a big way hanging with those two.

• Paid Members

ino4.jpg

We promised you an additional announcement before tonight's SWE - Southside Wrestling Entertainment Speed King match and here it is. At Day of Reckoning 2, Kay Lee Ray finally gets her chance for revenge against Martin Kirby.

Last year Kay Lee Ray got unceremoniously dragged onto the Kirby / Ligero feud, as Kirby attempted to use her as a pawn in his mind games with The Mexican Sensation. Kirby was aware of Kay Lee and Ligero's past relationship and ongoing friendship and set about trying to inflict as much pain as possible on Ligero by attacking those he cared about.

But Kay Lee Ray is not the type of girl who backs down from a fight and when Kirby attacked her, KLR immediately demanded a match where she could get some pay back. That match came at Crossing The Line in September last year, but rather than settle the score, the rivalry became more personal and bitter as Kirby got disqualified for brutally pouring thumb packs into Kay Lee's mouth and down her throat.

Since then Kay Lee competed with Kirby in the first ever 6 way scramble match at Super Show last November. As the only women in the match many would assume KLR was the massive underdog. But she more than held her own and she was on the verge of the ultimate revenge by taking Kirby's precious Speed King title, going into the final minutes of the match holding the latest fall. But in the closing seconds Kirby managed to pin Kay Lee and see out the clock to retain his title.

This only added to the hatred between the 2 and Kay Lee has had to wait patiently for her next opportunity to get her revenge. But her opportunity is now fast approaching and Kay Lee finally gets the 1 on 1 rematch she's wanted for so long. KLR has already shown she has the ability to compete with the men in Southisde, but this is as personal as it get's so we expect to see a more fired up and determined KLR than ever before.

Day of Reckoning 2 takes place directly before Speed King 2014 in Nottingham on Saturday 26th April, tickets for both the main show and the special afternoon event 'Risky Business' are on sale now and a combo ticket can be bought that gives you entry to both shows for a special discounted price.

• Paid Members

4mfy.jpg

This rivalry started back in 2012 when MK first entered Southside and after building a strong cult following before he arrived was looking to make an impact in SWE. He was pitted against Mark Haskins at Seasons Beatings and the two men went on to have a classic match and despite suffering defeat MK had his best performance to date.

At the conclusion of the match the fans chanted 'one more match' and just 3 months later at Battle of the Ego's 3 SWE obliged and booked the much anticipated rematch. MK and Haskins went on to surpass their first match and stole the show. This time MK came out on top to tie the series at one win each.

The fans again chanted 'one more match' but this time the fans, MK and Haskins had to wait as Haskins focused on his feud with Stixx and his quest to become SWE champion. The third decisive match was scheduled for last years Day of Reckoning show in December but Stixx put a stop to that by viciously attacking MK backstage and putting him out of the days events, taking his place as Haskins opponent in the process.

But SWE doesn't want to disappoint the fans so in our first trip back to Nottingham, where the match was originally set to take place, the match will finally happen and we will finally find out who is the best between MK and Haskins!

And this is just the afternoon show, also scheduled for this show is Rich Swann vs Tommy End, Tommaso Ciampa vs Joe Connors, El Ligero vs Kris Travis vs Noam Dar vs Trent Barreta, Johnny Gargano vs Robbie X and Kay Lee Ray vs Martin Kirby. And the evening show is just as packed!

Day of Reckoning 2 takes place directly before New Beginnings 2014 in Nottingham on Sunday 9th March, tickets for both the main show and the special afternoon event are on sale now and a combo ticket can be bought that gives you entry to both shows for a special discounted price.

Last minute change to the show as Johnny Gargano vs Robbie X on the afternoon show is now an Open The Freedom Gate Title match. Massive match for Robbie and it's just been made even bigger as he will be the very first Englishman to challenge for the belt. I'd assume this match would be the main event on the afternoon (and could perhaps even main event the evening) but then you've also got Martin Kirby vs Kay Lee Ray which has been building since August and a third match between Haskins and MK which we've been waiting for over a year for now (I hope MK is still on the card that is as he did appear to get injured on Friday night). Along with international exhibition matches like Tommy End vs Rich Swann and Trent Barretta vs Travis vs Ligero vs Stixx and Ciampa vs Connors in Connors first real chance to get a big name singles match in Southside to coincide with The Predators split.

So a pretty stacked afternoon and then the evening has Haskins vs Barretta (really looking forward to this one after growing to really love Trent's work on the Indies lately), End vs Robbie and Swann vs Andrews so three very different matches involving all six guys who can fly and really move. Looking forward to seeing The Bucky Boys live for the first time (again providing injury doesn't stop that) against Ego and whatever they do with what should've been Predators vs Ligero/Kay. I'm presuming a four-way. Gargano/Ciampa/MK could be a sleeper match of the night, providing MK's there.

• Paid Members

Solid pair of shows. 2014 looks set to be the best year yet for Southside.

MK not being there lead to Ciampa vs Gargano, which was probably the best match of the day despite a time limit draw finish at the 16:45 mark (!)

Night Show ( couldn't make the day show) -

Started with Stixx cutting a promo saying hes going to kill all the Speedking lot... challenged them to a fight... Zack (someone, i forgot his surname... he was from HOP:E promotions i believe). Stixxs won by pinfall after a feigned pin... thought he was going to go crazy on him after the feigned pin, but ended up just pinning him again.

JOHNNY GARGANO v TOMMASO CIAMPA - Best match of the night - ended in a draw 'time limit reached'. Wasn't expecting a clean end with both being champs at the moment. Great back and forth all the way through.

TOMMY END vs ROBBIE X - For me two of Europes top talent. Great match, ended with a hell of kick from Tommy End to Robbies face. Tommy won by pin and then sat on Robbie... which confused me for a moment until i realised Haskins came out and they had a stare off until Tommy ran away smiling. Good stuff.

SWANN v ANDREWS - High flying crazyness from these two. Really enjoyable and Swanns entrance, despite being longer than Takers, was great fun. Swann won with massive splash.

Diamond Dave had a little back and forth with Harvey Dale, said that Dale can have his job back if he joing the 'Kiss My Ass Club' at Speedking. Dale agreed.

EL LIGERO & KAY LEE RAY v THE PREDATORS - Ended being just Joe after he attacked Paul - Joe Won pinning Kay Lee Ray. He then decided to preform live bondage, gaffer taping Kay Lee to the ropes and insinuate beating her with a belt, 1950's dad style. After much taunting Ligero ran in and scared Joe off.

PROJECT EGO v THE BUCKY BOYS - Ended up being Stevie and Grado not The Bucky Boys - I think Trav got the pin... I've slept since and my mind is a maze.. After they cut a promo saying they want to take X-Pac on 2 on 1 in a handicap match. Trav was wearing a fetching trilby hat. Grado was hilarious as per and Im pretty sure Trav and Kirby got him to actually properly wrestle and everything.

MARK HASKINS

• Paid Members

Any results from either show?

[/quote

Joseph Conners beat Tommaso Ciampa

Kay Lee Ray beat Speed King champion Martin Kirby in a non title match

Mark Haskins beat Mark Andrews

Tommy End beat Rich Swann

Johnny Gargano beat Robbie X in a Open the Freedom Gate title match

Kris Travis beat El Ligero , Stixx & Trent Barretta

Two very good shows. I'd be hard pressed to pick the better of the two shows as each contained several very good matches.

Connors/Ciampa was very good at getting over Connors aggression as a solitary Predator as he worked over Ciampa's knee. While I didn't mind Connors going over, the ending was flat. Connors brought in a belt (as he did to whip Malen a week prior) but Ciampa took it from him. When Ciampa went to belt Connors with it, the ref forced it out of his hand. With the ref's back turned Connors came into the ring to kick Ciampa in the stomach and deliver a DDT for the 3 count. Had that been a low blow before the DDT or anything of nefarious means with the ref's back turned I wouldn't have had an issue, but the relatively clean finish seemed to throw a lot of people when Ciampa didn't kick out as the DDT hadn't yet been established as Connors new finisher.

Kay Lee Ray and Martin Kirby have good chemistry together as Kirby would dominate KLR who in turn would get a few hope spots and fiery comebacks as the crowd really wanted to see her get her own back on Kirby after what happened between the two in September. It was going back to that incident in September that cost Kirby the match as when he again went for the drawing pins (he'd placed them in her mouth before delivering a jaw breaker for the DQ loss last time) KLR took advantage of the distracted Kirby for a flash roll up pinfall. Kirby didn't look too weak in defeat and KLR had at the very least gained a small measure of revenge and a pinfall over the reigning Speed King Champion.

Attempting to out-do an Undertaker Wrestlemania entrance, Rich Swann did almost spend All Night Long (or rather, all afternoon long) dancing and singing to Lionel Richie, prompting a bored Tommy End to pick up a broom and start sweeping the hall. As good as Tommy End is, I don't think he'd have been able to carry that broom to a good match. Fortunately he was in the ring with one of the most charismatic and energetic high flyers in the world today so Swann and End had a belter of a match. Pretty much everything you'd expect to see in a match between the two with Swann's athleticism faced dead against Tommy's precision kicks and strikes. This on any other card would've been match of the night (or, afternoon as the case may be).

Having a year of break out MOTN matches, Robbie may have out-done himself in his Open The Freedom Gate challenge against Gargano. I'd say if this match would've happened in front of the same crowd as his Jay Lethal match, this would be considered the better match. Not once did he look out of place against the 27 month reigning Champion, this was the kind of match that will get him noticed and booked internationally. Gargano is probably one of the most consistent guys on the Indy scene as it's been years since I've ever seen him in anything less than a great match but here he was very willing to elevate Robbie up to his level and make it look like the match result, even for just a split second, was in jeapordy. One very scary moment saw Robbie attempt a moonsault onto a downed Gargano, only for Johnny to boot him away while Robbie was in mid-air, mid-rotation and sent right into the ring ropes! This was the match of Robbie's career to date, besting the Marty Scurll, Jay Lethal and Zack Sabre Jnr matches.

Before the start of the afternoon show Haskins was out to announce to the crowd that his opponent for the day, MK McKinnan, had unfortunately been injured the Friday and would not be on either show. Shame as this is now the second time MK/Haskins III has been postponed so hopefully third time lucky! He sent out an open challenge for the Southside Heavyweight Championship which was accepted by Mark Andrews. So for those of you following the whole Defend vs Screw Indy Wrestling thing going on between each mans respective camps, this was the first time they've ever faced each other since that all started. Although nothing of that was mentioned in the match, Haskins did seem a little bit more tuned up in his aggression. And the two had a really good sub-10 minute match together where the both of them came out looking stronger for the match. Andrews really was placed into a sink or swim situation with his first 4 matches, and halfway in with matches against the SWE Champion and Rich Swann, he's more than earning his place on the roster with Tommy End and AR Fox yet to come.

I was surprised to see the four-way between Trent Barretta, Kris Travis, El Ligero and Stixx as the main event, but in the end I think all four realized they really had to work hard and put a shift in to not let the other matches on the afternoon out-shine them so what I thought was going to be a relatively simple four-way with tags and face/heel divides soon went out of the window as all four brawled around the venue and into the outside. No alliances were made for the most part outside of momentary convenience and it really was each man out for himself, all in search of the victory. I'll be honest that I can't remember all of the big spots in the match, because there was an extended run of them near the end including the Indy staple "and all four men are down". Travis was a more than deserving victor however as his in-ring work, personality and charisma really do make him stand out in any ring and kept him strong after his ROH TV Title loss against Tomasso Ciampa the week before.

Perhaps one of the best afternoon shows I've seen an English promotion put on, if not the very best. End/Swann, Barretta/Travis/Ligero/Stixx and especially Gargano/Robbie would have all been at home on the main card of any show to challenge for MOTN honours. Robbie may have had his best match to date and I really do hope more eyes lay upon this match, both in the UK and internationally as that was the kind of match that could get him booked for Dragon Gate USA in the future. I thought he was the first Englishman to challenge for the belt, but had forgotten about YAMATO vs PAC. Well, he more than lived up to earn to be the second Englishman to face a DG USA Champion with the belt on the line.

Archived