Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

so celtic fc are going to find the culprits involved and ban them for life? they still haven't found the coin throwers, lighter throwers and the mobile thrower, what chance have they got in finding them

juan guy indeed

-------------

i think hibs could cause a upset tomorrow

Couldn't be too hard really given the 'minority' would just be like a big game of Battleships on the season ticket data base.

"G 17...."

"HIT"

Of course, rightly or wrongly, there is a chance that a few of them may not know what they were holding up seeing as all they'd have seen was a plain white side of a sheet however how well lined out and organised it was with the layout and spacing makes me think they probably did all know what was going on.

Back to the football i think Aberdeen will get a result tonight, raise their game for Rangers and then that'll set the blue torch paper for another week of conspiracy riddled nonsense on the phone-in's and newspapers.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a very difficult subject for Celtic to approach, and it's one that needs to be handled with the utmost care as there is massive potential for an explosive inter-support rift here. The Green Brigade bring a lot of colour and noise to games - this cannot be used as a tool for them to excuse some of the disgraceful behaviour they impart. I'm not saying the poppy banner is an example of this (as stated earlier, I feel this is an example of peaceful protest) - but the issue of sectarian singing is one that can always be held against us as long as they have free reign.

I know this approach wouldn't be considered acceptable by some, but I think that there has to be a sitdown between someone at Celtic and the head of this group, and others like it.

The bull in a china shop approach won't work, as you say Soapy.

They need to sort out what the fuck is going on with sense and a calm head.

• Paid Members
Back to the football i think Aberdeen will get a result tonight, raise their game for Rangers and then that'll set the blue torch paper for another week of conspiracy riddled nonsense on the phone-in's and newspapers.

I expect us to get a draw tonight at least. A defeat would probably cost McGhee his job.

Saturday at Ibrox however, I'm not to hopeful. If I hadn't already paid for tickets etc I wouldn't be going. It won't be 9 but (and it sickens me to say it) I expect to lose by a few goals.

That was actually a fair minded statement until the part with John Reid. It just makes the whole statement seem like an angle to get at him.

Personally I don't have a problem witht he club putting the poppy on the shirts even although I don't choose to wear one myself. Aidan Corrigan posted the club's mission statement a page or 2 back and that mission statement was drawn up, IIRC, in collaboration with various supoorters groups. So what do we do now that it doesn't the Green Brigade's current agenda, tear it up?

It's not just the Green Brigade though. The AICSC complained about the poppy issue last season as well and I believe they were told they'd be consulted this year. That's not happened. And John Reid...well, a former British NI secretary presiding over CFC isn't the most obviously happy marriage, is it?

That was actually a fair minded statement until the part with John Reid. It just makes the whole statement seem like an angle to get at him.

Personally I don't have a problem witht he club putting the poppy on the shirts even although I don't choose to wear one myself. Aidan Corrigan posted the club's mission statement a page or 2 back and that mission statement was drawn up, IIRC, in collaboration with various supoorters groups. So what do we do now that it doesn't the Green Brigade's current agenda, tear it up?

It's not just the Green Brigade though. The AICSC complained about the poppy issue last season as well and I believe they were told they'd be consulted this year. That's not happened. And John Reid...well, a former British NI secretary presiding over CFC isn't the most obviously happy marriage, is it?

I think the AICSC do have grounds to complain if they were told one thing yet the club did another without bothering to tell them. However, I think the club have just tried to dodge a bullet here by wearing the poppy to avoid the obvious flack they would take and given the way we are often represented in the Scottish media I don't blame them.

On John Reid, I can understand why some supporters object to his appointment, they may feel they have good reason to. That said though a lot of the people who have taken issue with John Reid are the 'up the ra' mob who constantly drag the name of the club through the mud.

You may think it would nullify it but it won't as the idiots would have won...

The poppy has been put forward as some sort of object for glorfiying war, it doesnt. this is what they say. Each year the demand for our support continues as Service men and women, young and old, call on us for assistance. There are many ways you can help including making a donation, volunteering your time, participating in a fundraising event and supporting the Poppy Appeal.

Is that supporting a WAR or is that supporting people who have served or are serving in the armed forces...

I still stand by my Celtic supporters have served or are serving in the armed forces i feel that the way they get treated by the soo called celtic family is a disgrace... Half the fans don't even know about nothern ireland and the other half got told a story off there scottish da and get up in arms about it... Sorry Celtic are a scottish club with irish history and thats a hundred year old history its different too shout about winning the big cup as its never been done by another scottish team but too shout about irish heritage and all that no its a scottish club...

By the way i have irish heritage soo i can shout about whatever i want but i wear a Scotland top and im Scottish!!!

You may think it would nullify it but it won't as the idiots would have won...

The poppy has been put forward as some sort of object for glorfiying war, it doesnt. this is what they say. Each year the demand for our support continues as Service men and women, young and old, call on us for assistance. There are many ways you can help including making a donation, volunteering your time, participating in a fundraising event and supporting the Poppy Appeal.

Is that supporting a WAR or is that supporting people who have served or are serving in the armed forces...

There is a letter in today's i newspaper (they had quite an intriguing editorial on the entire poppy debate last week and how there is now an annual race between the various newspapers to display a poppy on its masthead first [The Sun won this year, with a poppy appearing on its masthead on October 26th]) from a gentleman in, I think, Milton Keynes who was making the point that there is a growing number of people who are uncomfortable wearing a poppy due to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. People who want to see peace in the world becoming worried that by wearing a poppy they are seen to be supporting the military action of the last decade. I think someone earlier in this thread even posted the link to the British Legion website which shows that there is an increasing focus from the poppy appeal on to recent conflicts. The poppy is no longer about just the great sacrifices made in the two world wars.

The point I'm making by highlighting that letter from Milton Keynes is that it is not just a small group of Celtic supporters who don't want to wear the poppy, and it isn't only in a small section of Scotland where there is dissent against the poppy. People everywhere in Britain are becoming quite cautious about wearing a symbol which, rightly or wrongly, has partly come to represent the controversial invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Archived