Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

IMO the Scottish Parliament should force Rangers and Celtic to merge and become Glasgow FC. They can play at Hampden Park. Play in a kit containing neither Green or Blue. If necessary do the same with Hearts and Hibs as well, Edinburgh FC, play at Murrayfield.

Nobody rising to your mong posts in the other threads are they? So you've decided to start it in here too. Great.

Would you like to argue against it? The people who just want to see football would still get to follow a football team. The bigots who follow the current teams for sectarian reasons would be largely driven away. The lack of football rivalries would remove a major avenue where sectarianian attitudes come to the bubble.

I can't see any other way that all the trouble and violence will ever come to an end. I think there's a lot of people that only care about protestantism and catholicism due to football.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its simply because he's a catholic from Northern Ireland.

It's simply Sectarianism. Ridiculous.

Must have missed Martin O'Neil being sent nail bombs and being attacked on the side of the pitch? don't talk fucking stupid. Lennon is outspoken and says what is on his mind, sometimes his timing and what he says is not always the smartest thing to say, but its still no excuse to what has happened to him this year, some thick "fans" (I use the term lightly) can't take it when a manager like him says what he feels all the time, saying that the pic's with people who are pretending to hold guns do him no favors.

Martin O'Neill had his share of things too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/1810177.stm

• Paid Members
Would you like to argue against it? The people who just want to see football would still get to follow a football team. The bigots who follow the current teams for sectarian reasons would be largely driven away. The lack of football rivalries would remove a major avenue where sectarianian attitudes come to the bubble.

I can't see any other way that all the trouble and violence will ever come to an end. I think there's a lot of people that only care about protestantism and catholicism due to football.

You need to study some history about the clubs before you say something as stupid as what you did. Yes there is problems due to protestantism and catholicism but there is loads of other differences from the 2 clubs. Would you do the same with Aston Villa and Birmingham after the trouble at the mid-week cup game also? How about the teams abroad that also don't live together hand in hand?

The ONLY was you will drive out all the bigots is to stop football. If you combine Rangers and Celtic nobody would except, the 2 sets of fans would find another to teams to link to for arguments sake say Motherwell and Hamilton, after a few years would you do the same again and combine the teams?

The way you try and take out the bigots is punish the clubs with large fines. That way the will drown out bigot songs and self police there own fans.

Edit.

FUM planting a flag is hardly sending death threats or a nail bomb or attacking him while he was on the touchline is it. There has been players from both sides who have had smiler problems like that flag planting, while again its stupid that these things happen there will always be a bunch of stupid fans that do fucking stupid stuff like that, But saying that I doubt Lennon could take his kids to Gig on the Green and sit on the grass with only a touch of friendly banter thrown his way at the moment now could he, O'Neil did and had no police around him at all.

Must have missed Martin O'Neil being sent nail bombs and being attacked on the side of the pitch? don't talk fucking stupid. Lennon is outspoken and says what is on his mind, sometimes his timing and what he says is not always the smartest thing to say, but its still no excuse to what has happened to him this year, some thick "fans" (I use the term lightly) can't take it when a manager like him says what he feels all the time, saying that the pic's with people who are pretending to hold guns do him no favors.

It's hardly the same.

Nobody deserves the stuff Lennon has had to put up with, but it's too easy to blame it on sectarianism completely. I think the majority of SPL fans who don't support Lennon think that he's a prick and it's got nothing to do with his nationality/religion. On the other hand, I think most football fans have respect for Walter Smith. And it's all down to how they act as people.

Sadly, Lennon's outspoken ways mean he's become a magnet for it all. He's the catalyst that has brought all the existing sectarian hatred back into the limelight and while he's at it, he's clearly made enemies outside of that too.

I think we can all agree that fair or not, Scottish Football would be better off without him, he would be better off without Scottish football, and crucially his family would be better off without it too.

Sounds like a great idea. Celtic and Rangers form the one club. I dont see how Celtic and Rangers fans in the same section of the ground every week could be any bother at all.

Do you think the Celtic and Rangers fans that hate their rivals enough to fight them in the ground would be interested in supporting a unified club?

If Rangers and Celtic fans want to fight, they can do it on the street, or anywhere else. They'd be utterly stupid to pay to see a football match and then use it as an excuse to fight amongst themselves (and leave themselves far more likely to face prosecution and stiffer sentences than if they'd just settled it in a car park or somewhere).

It's hardly the same.

Nobody deserves the stuff Lennon has had to put up with, but it's too easy to blame it on sectarianism completely. I think the majority of SPL fans who don't support Lennon think that he's a prick and it's got nothing to do with his nationality/religion. On the other hand, I think most football fans have respect for Walter Smith. And it's all down to how they act as people.

Sadly, Lennon's outspoken ways mean he's become a magnet for it all. He's the catalyst that has brought all the existing sectarian hatred back into the limelight and while he's at it, he's clearly made enemies outside of that too.

I think we can all agree that fair or not, Scottish Football would be better off without him, he would be better off without Scottish football, and crucially his family would be better off without it too.

I know it's not the same, my point is that it's partly sectarianism.

• Paid Members

Funny thing is that if he was at a prem club he would be on Sky Sports news everyday, they would love his outspoken ways no doubt.

There's plenty of managers in England that people think are pricks, Neil Warnock for instance. I don't see him getting sent bombs in the post. The situation in Scotland is out of hand now. People are going to end up dying if something drastic is not done.

• Paid Members
Do you think the Celtic and Rangers fans that hate their rivals enough to fight them in the ground would be interested in supporting a unified club?

You have not been to Scotland have you? You do realize that Celtic and Rangers fans would wear there old clubs colors to these games and yes would fight in the ground.

If Rangers and Celtic fans want to fight, they can do it on the street,

They do.

They'd be utterly stupid to pay to see a football match and then use it as an excuse to fight amongst themselves

Like that guy who ran on the pitch today yeah? which caused the Celtic and Hearts to start fighting.

and leave themselves far more likely to face prosecution and stiffer sentences than if they'd just settled it in a car park or somewhere.

So its worse to fight in a ground then on a car park? :confused:

Funny thing is that if he was at a prem club he would be on Sky Sports news everyday, they would love his outspoken ways no doubt.

The media would love him, but the fans of opposition clubs would hate him.

In his first full season in charge, Lennon has managed to almost single handedly bring Scottish Football to a stand still with the referee strike, plant the seeds that other teams would sooner Rangers won the league, been a major contributing factor to the carnage at that ridiculous Old Firm game, and through various other means just piss off the Scottish Football community.

I don't think he can help it, and I don't think he realises how influential he is as Celtic manager.

Lennon has been bad for Scottish Football. It would be better without him in it. We must all be able to agree with that? Whether he deserves the treatment he's received in recent weeks or not (and the answer remains 'not') the point still stands.

Strange how the Hearts fans didn't care this much when their team was rolling over and getting their bellies tickled at Ibrox on Saturday?!

Diet H*ns indeed.

Was really hoping this was gonna be ironic but seems not. Never mind the fact they had what 9 players out on Saturday and were all over us for long periods.

And don't use that word no matter if you star out a letter in it, that pish was meant to have stopped in here so keep your bitter little bigot shite out.

Looks like the attack on Lennon wasn't the only thing that happened at Tynecastle tonight...

The Guardian reporting on the aftermath:

A section of the Celtic following subsequently became embroiled in fighting with the police and stewards.

As he was huckled up the tunnel by police, trouble also broke out when the police moved into the Celtic end; the most vocal pro-IRA chanting of the night surrounded what bother occurred there

And the Daily Mail too:

An astonishing melee ensued and the intruder was eventually marched up the tunnel by police but that was not the end of the trouble as some fans in the Celtic section of the ground appeared to fight with stewards and police.

"oh the wee huns are shite" according to a court of law in scotland, the word hun is deemed sectarian.

"jimmy jefferies a sad orange bastard and a shite fitbaw team (deemed sectarian)

"dirty orange bastards" deemed sectarian

ira songs from the first few mins into the match all the way through to the final mins

then PIRA chants

now if fare don't get involved here then it pretty much sums up their agenda

• Paid Members
The media would love him, but the fans of opposition clubs would hate him.

In his first full season in charge, Lennon has managed to almost single handedly bring Scottish Football to a stand still with the referee strike, plant the seeds that other teams would sooner Rangers won the league, been a major contributing factor to the carnage at that ridiculous Old Firm game, and through various other means just piss off the Scottish Football community.

I don't think he can help it, and I don't think he realises how influential he is as Celtic manager.

Lennon has been bad for Scottish Football. It would be better without him in it. We must all be able to agree with that? Whether he deserves the treatment he's received in recent weeks or not (and the answer remains 'not') the point still stands.

I would agree with most of what you say. I see Lennon almost like Holloway but in Scotland everything you say is under a microscope, With the added Celtic Rangers stuff,something was going to happen with Lennon in charge. I worry for next year with Ally and Lennon to be fair.

You have not been to Scotland have you? You do realize that Celtic and Rangers fans would wear there old clubs colors to these games and yes would fight in the ground.

Don't let people in wearing Rangers and Celtic colors. They don't let people wearing Celtic kits into Ibrox or Rangers kits into Parkhead at present. So it's no different.

If Rangers and Celtic fans want to fight, they can do it on the street,

There wouldn't be any Rangers or Celtic fans though. Just Glasgow FC fans. If they want to fight amongst themselves, let them do it and prosecute them appropiately. I don't think it'd happen for that long before people just gave up and put it in the past.

Like that guy who ran on the pitch today yeah? which caused the Celtic and Hearts to start fighting.

The Celtic and Hearts fans were supporting rival clubs.

So its worse to fight in a ground then on a car park? :confused:

Sentencing is certainly a lot harsher for people fighting in a football ground than fighting in the street.

Archived