Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

It's interesting how Soapy continually posts stuff from the discredited Graham Spiers, a man sacked from every paper he's ever written for down to his insistence on writing absolute fabrication week on week.

Did Graham Spiers fabricate the singing of the UEFA-banned Billy Boys and The Famine Song by Rangers supporters on Sunday?

LOL "The UEFA banned". UEFA banned standing at games, yet countless clubs still do it. Should we dock them points?

Graham Spiers's article wasn't about standing at games. It was about the sectarian singing of Rangers supporters at the CIS Cup final, which you apparently think was fabricated.

The Billy Boys has been banned by UEFA. I don't believe that Rangers should be docked points for their fans continued insistence on singing the song. But I do think that the club should be more pro-active in rooting out such songs. Their current stance of occassionally pleading with fans not to sing songs such as The Billy Boys because it might get them in trouble isn't working.

What else can they do other than ask people not to sing it?

For a start, instead of asking people not to sing anti-Catholic songs because it might get Rangers in trouble, tell them to stop singing anti-Catholic songs because it is wrong in a modern, inclusive society. And don't repeat the message every four months before a European trip abroad, because the behaviour of the travelling support was highlighted last time. Do it every week.

Anyone found to be indulging in sectarian chanting at any ground should be identified by stewards and/or CCTV and banned from attending any football match in the country. They should also be handed over to the police for further punishment.

That goes for every club, not just Rangers (and Celtic).

What is anti-catholic about the word Fenian?

One rule for us, another for your own. Happy to sing about being in Paddy McCourt's Fenian army but when the big bad huns sing it grown men have tears streaming down their faces and covering their childs ears.

Hello, Hello.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's also worth remembering that Motherwell are based right in the middle of Old Firm country, with plenty of buses leaving for Glasgow every weekend (some even leaving from a pub right outside Fir Park!)

That must piss you right off? It bugs me no end seeing all the Celtic/Rangers supporters buses that leave from all the small towns in the North-East nevermind guys that actually pass your ground to go elsewhere.

You get used to it after a while.

Besides, after seeing some of the people who board those buses I'm kind of glad that they don't darken Fir Park's doorstep on a Saturday afternoon ;)

It's also worth remembering that Motherwell are based right in the middle of Old Firm country, with plenty of buses leaving for Glasgow every weekend (some even leaving from a pub right outside Fir Park!)

That must piss you right off? It bugs me no end seeing all the Celtic/Rangers supporters buses that leave from all the small towns in the North-East nevermind guys that actually pass your ground to go elsewhere.

Aberdeen have a decent sized supporters club in Glasgow, though, I think. I don't buy into this whole support the club nearest you things. Rangers are the nearest to me (actually Celtic are but fuck that) but it was Clyde when I was born. My dad has been going to the games since before I was born so there was only one way his only son could turn out. People move all over the country and still support their clubs, passing it down to the next generation and the next. So the whole local club thing doesn't work for me. If it does for some people, fair play. But I've always found it weird that some families have a Dad that's a Rangers season ticket holder and the son is a Celtic season ticket holder. The same for any other two clubs in one family.

It's interesting how Soapy continually posts stuff from the discredited Graham Spiers, a man sacked from every paper he's ever written for down to his insistence on writing absolute fabrication week on week.

Did Graham Spiers fabricate the singing of the UEFA-banned Billy Boys and The Famine Song by Rangers supporters on Sunday?

LOL "The UEFA banned". UEFA banned standing at games, yet countless clubs still do it. Should we dock them points?

Graham Spiers's article wasn't about standing at games. It was about the sectarian singing of Rangers supporters at the CIS Cup final, which you apparently think was fabricated.

The Billy Boys has been banned by UEFA. I don't believe that Rangers should be docked points for their fans continued insistence on singing the song. But I do think that the club should be more pro-active in rooting out such songs. Their current stance of occassionally pleading with fans not to sing songs such as The Billy Boys because it might get them in trouble isn't working.

For a start, instead of asking people not to sing anti-Catholic songs because it might get Rangers in trouble, tell them to stop singing anti-Catholic songs because it is wrong in a modern, inclusive society. And don't repeat the message every four months before a European trip abroad, because the behaviour of the travelling support was highlighted last time. Do it every week.

Anyone found to be indulging in sectarian chanting at any ground should be identified by stewards and/or CCTV and banned from attending any football match in the country. They should also be handed over to the police for further punishment.

One rule for us, another for your own. Happy to sing about being in Paddy McCourt's Fenian army but when the big bad huns sing it grown men have tears streaming down their faces and covering their childs ears.

Hello, Hello.

Being "up to your knees in fenian blood" isn't pro-Catholic, is it?

Because a few Celtic fans chant about being in "Paddy McCourt's fenian army" doesn't make it right to sing sectarian songs, does it?

UEFA deemed The Billy Boys a sectarian song. The Scottish courts deemed The Famine Song a sectarian song. Rangers should be doing a lot more to rid their support of these songs, regardless of what Celtic fans are signing.

Hello, Hello.

Because a few Celtic fans chant about being in "Paddy McCourt's fenian army" doesn't make it right to sing sectarian songs, does it?

UEFA deemed The Billy Boys a sectarian song. The Scottish courts deemed The Famine Song a sectarian song. Rangers should be doing a lot more to rid their support of these songs, regardless of what Celtic fans are signing.

What are your thoughts on Dundee singing "arab blood" or Killie singing "ayeshire blood" and the numerous other versions. it's because the word fenian is in there that the mopes get... well... mopey.

Hello, Hello.

What are your thoughts on Dundee singing "arab blood" or Killie singing "ayeshire blood" and the numerous other versions. it's because the word fenian is in there that the mopes get... well... mopey.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Dundee and Kilmarnock fans should be shamed just as much as Rangers fans should be.

This defence of "what about...?" doesn't justify a thing, and it's probably one of the Rangers board's gravest errors.

• Paid Members

Aberdeen have a decent sized supporters club in Glasgow, though, I think. I don't buy into this whole support the club nearest you things. Rangers are the nearest to me (actually Celtic are but fuck that) but it was Clyde when I was born. My dad has been going to the games since before I was born so there was only one way his only son could turn out. People move all over the country and still support their clubs, passing it down to the next generation and the next. So the whole local club thing doesn't work for me. If it does for some people, fair play. But I've always found it weird that some families have a Dad that's a Rangers season ticket holder and the son is a Celtic season ticket holder. The same for any other two clubs in one family.

A huge chuck of Aberdeen's support are based in the Central Belt. I think that is maybe why we get such high numbers at away games.

Hello, Hello.

Leave this shit out. It's one thing to have the debate but leave out the inflamatory language on both sides please.

What's the difference between that and the Celtic fans leaving "Hail Hail " at the end of theirs? There was nothing inflammatory about it.

• Paid Members
Hello, Hello.

Leave this shit out. It's one thing to have the debate but leave out the inflamatory language on both sides please.

What's the difference between that and the Celtic fans leaving "Hail Hail " at the end of theirs? There was nothing inflammatory about it.

We are the Killie Boys?

• Paid Members
Hello, Hello.

The song that Hail Hail proceeds is not an inflammatory song that contains sectarian terms to the equivalent of "fenian"

The singing of the celtic song by Celtic fans in Europe in the mid noughties did not receive the necessity of the action to "make an address announcement at every official fixture, be it international or domestic, stating that any sectarian chanting and any form of 'Billy Boys' songs is strictly prohibited".

Celtic fans on this forum have only left "hail hail" at the end of a message once (at the most) in the last 6 months, The Celtic Song itself is not sectarian or provocative.

Leaving Hail Hail and Hello Hello at the end of messages have purely different meanings, one is a football song, the other a sectarian mouthful of pish.

Archived