Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The results of yesterdays football summit are in;

Players and officials from Rangers and Celtic will be warned they face the possibility of arrest if there is a repeat of the onfield violence and disorder that marred the last match between the rival clubs.

Allowing police to brief the teams each time they face each other is another of a series of measures announced on Tuesday to tackle the violence, sectarianism, alcohol misuse and domestic abuse which dramatically increases when the two "Old Firm" teams play each other.

The proposals were agreed at an emergency summit involving Scotland's first minister Alex Salmond, the clubs, Scottish football authorities and police after their cup tie last Wednesday saw a violent confrontation between senior officials, three Rangers players sent off, 13 yellow cards and arrests of 34 fans inside the stadium.

The game was followed by allegations of racial abuse by Neil Lennon, the Celtic manager, towards one player at the centre of the disorder, Rangers' El Hadji Diouf. The claims are denied by Lennon and Diouf but are being investigated by Strathclyde police.

Lennon, a Catholic, has had a fake nail bomb and live bullets sent through the post and sectarian death threats posted on the internet, leading to the former Northern Ireland player and his family moving house and given round-the-clock security.

The fixture provoked further demands for action by the police, senior political figures and religious leaders to combat the "shameful" rise in domestic violence and drink-related disorder outside the ground on match days in the Glasgow area.

Strathclyde police claimed domestic abuse rates doubled after Old Firm games, while there were more than 200 crimes of violence and disorder in the area after an earlier Rangers-Celtic game in February. The Scottish Police Federation suggested their games could be held behind closed doors, a proposal rejected at the summit.

Salmond said at the summit: "No football club is responsible for violence, disorder or bigotry across our community, and everyone here condemns such acts entirely. But there's an acceptance that organisations, professionals, role models who play and coach the game have a particular duty to ensure their behaviour on and off the pitch sets the highest standards across society."

Alarmed by the backlash after last week's game, Salmond has reversed an expected cut in funding for grassroots anti-sectarianism campaigns by announcing that

Bollocks to the keyboard bigots. How about stamping out the songs that have already been deemed illegal? A wee bit less subtly biased news coverage would be a positive too. The fact that the fourth official reported Lennon the other night but Diouf and Bougherra don't get a mention tells me that they're just not paying attention. And while I accept that Celtic have a responsibility for some of the issues surrounding the Old Firm, I've been absolutely infuriated by the way they've been required to accept equal blame to Rangers for the mess of the game the other night. 3 yellows in a major game against your biggest rivals is not a big deal, and in the grand scheme of things, pushing someone away when he squares up to you isn't either. What Lennon did wouldn't get a player a yellow card in a normal game. What Diouf did after the game could be treated as breach of the peace (ignoring the police's instructions is out of line no matter what you're doing, and aren't you meant to go to the dressing room IMMEDIATELY after get a red card?) Three times as many red cards as shots on goal in a game - that doesn't shame Scottish football, but it should shame Rangers. When it comes to "Scotland's secret shame," it really is time that people across the board accepted that being Catholic in Glasgow makes you ten times more likely to be a victim of sectarian abuse than a Protestant. One side IS worse than the other. That doesn't excuse the problems on the Catholic side, but it doesn't mean we're to blame.

I've got no problem accepting that we can contribute to dealing with the alcohol abuse and the violence and all that. It's all part of taking some kind of social responsibility. However, when it comes to the sectarian stuff, I'm sick of the sly attitude from the media and now from politicians and the SFA that both sides are as bad as each other, or especially this time around, that Lennon somehow brings it on himself. Yeah, he's got a temper? So what. If Wattie showed that kind of passion, maybe he'd be winning these games. Then again, if he was winning these games, I doubt there would be so much fuss about any of it.

The latest in the Old Firm carry-on that's been top of the football news in Scotland;

Ally McCoist was angry at comments over the last few days relating to what he is supposed to have whispered in Lennon's ear in that fateful coming-together at Parkhead. It has been reported by at least one newspaper that McCoist challenged his counterpart to a fight, a claim that appeared to be given some credence by Paul McBride, Lennon's lawyer and Celtic's QC.

Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland on Wednesday evening, McBride seemed to suggest there was substance in the claim that McCoist was spoiling for a row. McCoist utterly refuted this last night. He stopped short of having a go at him directly, but it is clear that McCoist is furious at what McBride has been alleging. And so the flak keeps flying.

"I must admit, I thought I, and the club as a whole, had drawn a line under this whole issue," he began. "Last week when I left the Celtic management room after a bottle of beer with Neil I felt that was it finished.

"In the last 48 hours or so there's been comment and I feel I have to put my side of events over to you all.

"We as a coaching staff and indeed some of the officials - not just on Wednesday, but on previous occasions - had heard some of our players being subjected to verbal abuse and we felt it was wrong, to be honest with you.

"I make absolutely no apology at all for the fact that, whether it's Kyle Lafferty or (El-Hadji] Diouf or (Steven] Naismith or any of the boys I would defend those players in a case like that.

"For that, I make no apology. As Neil and I were shaking hands at the end of the game I mentioned this to him."

Source: The Scotsman

George Galloway has sent a letter to Lord Advocate of Scotland, Scotland

Fuck you. This isn't a thread about political values and if you want to make one then fuck off somewhere else and do it. I don't have to justify my political beliefs to anyone, least of all someone who doesn't know how to write a paragraph.

:laugh:

Now now.

Archived