WWE NXT Discussion Thread

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members

From wrestlinginc.com

Variety Magazine recently did an in-depth piece on WWE NXT and its reality concept.

The show will "pair up eight of WWE's current stars with rookies that come from Florida Championship Wrestling".

It appears that they'll be breaking Kayfabe a lot more than first thought. The article continues, "WWE has long kept that a secret from fans, opting to produce shows that turn its athletes into colorful characters involved in over-the-top storylines. But "NXT" will have pros mentoring rookies, with egos often getting in the way, as they learn the ropes of competing in the ring in front of live audiences, creating characters and speaking on camera."

There will be several seasons a year where successful rookies will progress to the main Raw or Smackdown rosters.

Kaval and Bryan Danielson will be a focal point from day one. In that respect it is still a work. WWE knows who they want to come out the other end.

Firstly, appologies if there's another thread about NXT specifically. I found one about "who will commentate it", and "an idea for the format", but none specifically talking about what it actually will be.

I actually really like this idea, and I think Danielson will emerge as a rather big star from this. It'll be interesting to see who mentors who, and what other FCW wrestlers will get the nod as far as being part of the show.

Personally I suspect Rey Mysterio will mentor Kaval, building up to their long rumoured feud. HBK could be a good bet to mentor Danielson, unless they finally decide to bring back Lance Cade as part of this show.

I'd predict the following FCW wrestlers will take part:

Brett DiBiase (mentored either by Randy Orton or Ted DiBiase) - This could help prolong WWE's current storyline involving Legacy, while giving Brett a boost.

Joe Hennig (mentored by either Orton or DiBiase) - Whoever doesn't mentor Brett should mentor Hennig, building up the Legacy storyline, as well as giving us the interesting prospect of seeing what Orton is really like, should the show break Kayfaybe at any point.

Justin Angel (mentored by Evan Bourne) - Both men are high fliers, so it'd make sense in that regard, and also give Bourne a boost by featuring him on a second show as a mentor. It may also give him the chance to show some personality.

Barretta and Croft (mentored by Matt Hardy) - Having one half of one of the most famous tag teams of all time mentor these two would make a lot of sense.

Johnny Curtis (mentored by CM Punk) - Curtis has been a regular feature of WWE House shows recently, along with Alex Riley. I'll predict one (if not both) will feature in this show. Featuring Punk as a mentor would make sense given his character, and potentially build up to a future storyline where Curtin (or whoever Punk mentors) refuses to embrace Punk's Straight Edge Society.

AJ Lee (mentored by Mickie James, Melina or Finlay) - I can't imagine NXT will feature an all male cast, and AJ Lee is the current "Queen Of FCW" so I'm picking her as our female involvement. I'd imagine her mentor will be female, but if it isn't I'd suspect they'd go with Finlay given the fact he's worked heavily with WWE Divas in the past and received major credit for it. I'd imagine they'd take this option if these are real mentors doing a real job, and not just "storyline options". I'm assuming it's a bit of both though, and this is why I've given the choices that I have.

(NB. Although There are 9 people here, and the article says 8 will take part, I'm counting a tag team as one pick...)

• Paid Members

Regal will no doubt be Danielson's mentor, I mean he pretty much has been his entire career by all accounts.

This is quite an interesting little feature and I'm quite intrigued as to how it will play out, will defo DL the first Ep and take a ganders at this, it could be belting, but knowing WWE programming it may also fall flat on it's arse from the off.

If WWE pick the right mentors, it may also serve as a great purpose for getting them over too.

Remember Regal 'training' Eugene? I loved that promo, a more serious take on that could work very well.

I'm REALLY hoping some legends pop up for this, Ricky Steamboat would be great in my eyes, and we may get to see a little more of him in the ring, a Steamboat Regal match could be all sorts of goodness.

Thing is though, Tough Enough was a disaster in terms of creating new talent. Exposing wrestlers to the public before they're ready can't be a good thing, surely?

And for those guys who ARE ready, like Bubba Poon, it'll forever break the wall of illusion surrounding them as a wrestler. People will always think of them as a weird sort of reality tv star rather than a legit wrestler. Kayfabe may be "dead" but it's still really important for taking the whole thing seriously.

Apparently HHH hated Tough Enough - I can't imagine he'll like this either.

• Paid Members

I don't think it paints people as reality stars at all. Look at The Miz, John Morrison, and The Boogyman amongst others. All differing levels of success, but I don't think many people look at them and think of Tough Enough.

Well the roster is apparently going to be (don't think its official yet):

- Justin Angel (FCW Champion)

- Daniel Bryan (formerly Bryan Danielson)

- Kaval (formerly Low Ki)

- Skip Sheffield

- Joe Hennig (son of Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig)

- Brett Dibiase (son of the Million Dollar man, brother of Ted Jr.)

- Darren Young

- Heath Slater

- Michael Tarver

I don't think it paints people as reality stars at all. Look at The Miz, John Morrison, and The Boogyman amongst others. All differing levels of success, but I don't think many people look at them and think of Tough Enough.

Nidia and Chris Nowinski managed to shake off that tag, as did Josh Mathews. It took years for Maven to rid himself of that stigma though.

Also, nobody equates Kenny King to Tough Enough.

I might seem a bit down on that show, but personally I adored Tough Enough. It was so well produced and chucked out some awesome TV characters and stories like Greg's back problems in season 1 which scuppered his chances of probably winning, Jackie Gayda cheating on her boyfriend and then tearing her ACL to shreds but carrying on the training in season 2, and the epic about of ribbing which took place in season 3.

If only I could get seasons 2 and 3 on DVD from someone.

Thing is though, Tough Enough was a disaster in terms of creating new talent. Exposing wrestlers to the public before they're ready can't be a good thing, surely?

And for those guys who ARE ready, like Bubba Poon, it'll forever break the wall of illusion surrounding them as a wrestler. People will always think of them as a weird sort of reality tv star rather than a legit wrestler. Kayfabe may be "dead" but it's still really important for taking the whole thing seriously.

Apparently HHH hated Tough Enough - I can't imagine he'll like this either.

Apparantly someone called Kaval used to be Low-Ki. That's the same as your name! You gonna watch your favourite wrestler on there?

Tough Enough was a quality show, great characters and stories in a show about learning to wrestle. I don't think it harms the audience as we are smart enough to suspend our disbelief then get back to reality the next moment.

Also Maven was great up until they sort of gave up on him, remember the short Undertaker fued where he eliminated him from the Rumble? Also Maven had a great heel promo at a PPV when he wrestled Carlito, but he was released soon after.

I honestly believe Nowinski could have been a star had it not been for his injuries. He had a great look and gimmick going on.

Also now The Miz, Morrison and to a lesser extent the Boogeyman. Also ODB was in the first episode of the first series so I don't know if she counts.

Oh and Matt Capotelli, who I thought was cool. But we know what happened to him.

So yeah anyway, pretty excited for NXT. If is has Danielson and Low Ki, then cool, plus I'm really excited to see what the rest of the FCW roster has to offer.

but if it is all FCW guys, what about Croft and Baretta, Vance Archer and guys like that? Do we think they'll just move to Smackdown or Raw and have enough to get over or will they go back to FCW and wait until the next series of NXT?

• Paid Members
Also Maven was great up until they sort of gave up on him, remember the short Undertaker fued where he eliminated him from the Rumble? Also Maven had a great heel promo at a PPV when he wrestled Carlito, but he was released soon after.

Do you mean against Shelton Benjamin at New Year's Revolution? I never liked Maven at all before that point and from then on I thought he was a great heel. Shame he was released a few months later though.

Do you mean against Shelton Benjamin at New Year's Revolution? I never liked Maven at all before that point and from then on I thought he was a great heel. Shame he was released a few months later though.

Aye thats probably it, don't know why I thought of Carlito... :laugh:

Archived