Best British Match of 2009

tiger_rick

Best British Match of 2009?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'm in the rare position of actually being there live for each and every one of the shortlisted matches this year, all of which were truly excellent bouts which would genuinely stand up well against anything anywhere in the world.

That said, Thrillers vs. Leaders from IPW:UK's May Sittingbourne show (which was called either Epic Encounter or Sittingbourne Spectacular, depending on where you look) stands above all the others on this as being the best of the bunch. A truly breathtaking effort from 4 of the very best that Europe has to offer.

To say that the match only took place on this show because Hubba Bubba Lucha (El Ligero and Bubblegum) didn't make it, and both Haskins and Redman had had singles matches against US imports earlier on the card, this unannounced surprise replacement got the fans involved on a level I've rarely ever seen, extracting genuine emotions through the combat being portrayed.

Slick tag team work, ridiculously hot comebacks, and an extended sprint section which was as exciting as pro wrestling gets - this one wins out over all others.

Special mention to the 2 GPW bouts on the list, they were both excellent too. Crazy Cruiser 8 2009 is definitely a DVD to seek out for these, and other, bouts.

It's not going to suprise anyone when i say I've voted for a GPW match however the one I've gone for is joey hayes vs bubblegum which was a semi final match from the best show gpw have done this year the crazy crusier8 tournament back in november (in fact there were a few good-great bouts in that show) However bubblegum vs joey hayes was a absolute scorcher I think its the best match I've seen either man in and it was a fitting way for bubblegum to leave gpw with the fans witnessing his best performance in the ring against joey hayes (who I think is in the top 3 british wrestlers)

The match was even better than the main event match they had in the cc8 tournament a few years earlier which bubblegum won.

The juice vs joey hayes in the cc8 final is a absolute belter as well but this match shades it as my moty pick.

Shame the juice vs sam bailey didnt make it on to the list cos thats afantastic match as well.

• Paid Members

It's going to be a bit harsh on the others if the DG match wins, for as great as that was, it only has one brit guy out of 6 participants. I know it qualifies in the rules and such, but it probably wasn't even the best match of that show. Like Big Benny HG, I've gone for Leaders vs Thrillers from Sittingbourne.

edited for spelling

Edited by gadge

It's going to be a bit harsh on the others if the DG match wins, for as great as that was, it only has one brit guy out of 6 participants. I know it qualifies in the rules and such, but it probably wasn't even the best match of that show. Like Big Benny HG, I've gone for Leaders vs Thrillers from Sittingbourne.

edited for spelling

Saying it wasn't the best match on that show is fairly harsh as well, considering how good the best match was.

As for whether it's harsh because of how many guys from the UK are in it, the rules are quite clear. I'd say it'd be harsh on the six man if people voted for something else just because of who was in it. If people think it's the best match they should vote for it.

the sittingbourne tag match for me too. Good as the DG atch was, it didn't have *quite* the same shit-yer-pants, out of your seat excitement for me, probably because I was just happy watching the DG match regardless of the outcome, whereas in Sittingbourne, I reall, really, REALLY fucking wanted the Leaders to take it.