General politics discussion thread

David

The term "Tory trolls" gets used a lot on CiF. It seems that anyone posting there that dares to have views which differ from the liberal hegemony is branded a troll and swiftly hounded out. And it seems the same happens in a lot of discussion, only liberal views are regarded to have any validity, yet liberals seem to be unable of arguing their points without reverting to massive generalisations such as "the world has moved on".

The world has moved on.....

:laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're the gift that keeps on giving! But seriously, nine years is a long time to be a gimmick poster - you should take a rest now.

I've always been a Daily Mail reader. I prefer it to a newspaper.
Edited by Bashar

The term "Tory trolls" gets used a lot on CiF. It seems that anyone posting there that dares to have views which differ from the liberal hegemony is branded a troll and swiftly hounded out. And it seems the same happens in a lot of discussion, only liberal views are regarded to have any validity, yet liberals seem to be unable of arguing their points without reverting to massive generalisations such as "the world has moved on".

There it is again...

200% inflation in housing costs is way off the mark. In real terms, inflation in house prices from 1997 to now was round about 100% from base to peak, and about 150% in absolute terms. Since there's already been a "correction" (starting in 2007 and which appears to be ongoing), and the fact that 1997 was about the lowest the market got after the crash of the mid-90s, it's also about the most dramatic comparison possible. It's a bubble that will slowly deflate over the next few years and will probably not inflate in the same way again, since the mortgage market has changed (hopefully permanently) as a result of the banking disaster.

It depends where you go. In other parts of the country, it may have normalised but here in leafy, Conservative South East London the prices are back to the level they were for flats and mid-range houses before the Credit Crunch. Flats are fucking ridiculous. Back in 2006, you could get something decent for around

Well, Rupert Murdoch can add some more power to his portfolio within the UK it would seem;

Rupert Murdoch has pretty much got what he wanted from Jeremy Hunt. He will be allowed to take over all of BSkyB, in return for the relatively modest concession of being held back at a 39.1% shareholding in the newly independent Sky News Ltd. From a Sky News point of view that's pretty much the status quo - News Corp, after all, owns 39.1% of the whole the Sky company today.

The pill he has had to swallow is to concede that the chairman of Sky News Ltd will be independent. Jeremy Hunt will argue that he didn't show much love to the Murdochs the day after Valentine's Day, when he wrote to News Corp telling the company that he wouldn't ratify any regulatory deal unless there was somebody autonomous at the helm. But given that News will be the biggest shareholder and (at least from the start) the sole funder of Sky News Ltd, it will be a tricky balancing act for that individual to pull off.

Essentially what is being created is another ITN (40% owned by ITV, since you asked). Come to think of it Sky News Ltd could continue to chase hard contracts for news supply at Channel 4 if not ITV. So Sky News is hardly suffering. And, given that television news is fairly tightly regulated by Ofcom the extra safeguards are only really reassurance that News Corp won't one day turn Sky News into Fox News Light, or Sun News. But then News Corp wasn't probably going to do that anyway.

What News Corp has got through is the ability to takeover the rest of Sky - creating a

Nice to see that no-one actually has any valid rebuttals to any of the points I have made. It's just stupid mutual liberal backslapping, as I stated originally.

This thread is completely pointless, and it's a clear display of why so many people in this country are utterly disillusioned with politics.

Nice to see that no-one actually has any valid rebuttals to any of the points I have made. It's just stupid mutual liberal backslapping, as I stated originally.

This thread is completely pointless, and it's a clear display of why so many people in this country are utterly disillusioned with politics.

You're actually accusing Yoghurt & myself of "liberal backslapping"? :laugh:

• Paid Members

Nice to see you're pulling your usual shit of completely ignoring anything anyone ever says to you.

Chris B has attempted to engage you in debate, and you've said fuck-all.

And yet the same people will still blindly support Labour in everything they do and claim that they are the party for the normal working-class Briton today. Unbelievable really. It's got to the stage where it is worse than religion. No evidence will ever be good enough to change their mind.

What people? Are you talking about anyone who posts in this thread?

And yet the same people will still blindly support Labour in everything they do and claim that they are the party for the normal working-class Briton today. Unbelievable really. It's got to the stage where it is worse than religion. No evidence will ever be good enough to change their mind.

What people? Are you talking about anyone who posts in this thread?

I don't know. Are there any Labour voters in here? Or people in favour of mass immigration?