General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members
Mickey has always maintained that counter protests are a bad idea to be fair to him. Of course, the EDL started as a counter protest group but that is by the by.

He has, but he does seem to be complaining that the EDL was moved on.

I thought you were in favour of people being able to have their protests, mickey?

Is it different when it's muslims who want to protest?

I have no problem with MAC or anyone else protesting and I will say the EDL should never counter protest them.

What gets me is that the same organisations that want EDL protests banned are always suspiciously quiet when MAC decide to protest.

• Paid Members
He also said "Look I don't support the EDL being there yesterday"

With a qualifier. But fair enough with regards to the counter-protests point.

The MAC are a significantly smaller group, with significantly less (for want of a better word) brand awareness. Most people havent been condemning them, because most people aren't aware of them as a specific organisation.

This is despite the fact that similar groups have had far wider and far more vociferous condemnation in the mainstream media. Regularly. And yet, mickey complains that nobody wants to criticise them.

• Paid Members

And in a similar way, you've not been happy about the National Front/BNP/EDL links being talked about. That's the kind of thing that I'm finding so frustrating about you.

I agree they're all linked, and we all agree that they're a shower of arseholes. But it does take time for people to realise it's the same group. And once they do, the reaction is almost always 'oh, those arseholes'. But you seem to be complaining that people don't immediately realise what's going on and react in the same way that they do to the EDL - who are immensely more visible.

To be fair MAC, Islam4UK and Al-Muhajiroun are all linked, they get themselves kicked through the Terrorism Act & change up, different name, same people.

But to be fair the EDL BNP and other white racist groups are all linked and now the EDL are classed as a terrorist group if the EDL did get banned they would just restart under a new name.

The BNP is getting closed down soon and I expect them to return with a new name.

But to be fair the EDL BNP and other white racist groups are all linked and now the EDL are classed as a terrorist group if the EDL did get banned they would just restart under a new name.

The BNP is getting closed down soon and I expect them to return with a new name.

Ya think? I have to say I think the reaason they've run out of cash and lost most of their councillors and generally got shut down is more of a problem than just a name change can sort out. What griffin did very well was sell the BNP as an alternative to mainstream political parties while underplaying it's links to the national front. That ended up splitting it apart when he got exposed on newsnight while alienating alot of his key support. I'd say they're done as a political force, under any more, and I'm very pleased about that.

But the flipside is the EDL will pick up alot of what the BNP had, so while politics will be a little less repgugnant, the street movement of the far right will pick up some steam.

Of course we've yet to see where the economy goes, and how bad the current crisis is going to become. If it goes as badly as I fear it might, a rise in the EDL and a new version of the BNP is quite plausable, worryingly.

Thankfully the National Front have become a sad relic with no political footing whatsoever & the news that the BNP are facing the end does bode pretty well for the EDL, as we've never classed ourselves as an "all White" movement, nor should we and hopefully we can take advantage and stop being linked with them & have no part of whoever inevitably replace them.

Believe it or not there are many members of the EDL who want no part of any BNP or NF association.

• Paid Members
Ya think? I have to say I think the reaason they've run out of cash and lost most of their councillors and generally got shut down is more of a problem than just a name change can sort out. What griffin did very well was sell the BNP as an alternative to mainstream political parties while underplaying it's links to the national front. That ended up splitting it apart when he got exposed on newsnight while alienating alot of his key support. I'd say they're done as a political force, under any more, and I'm very pleased about that.

But the flipside is the EDL will pick up alot of what the BNP had, so while politics will be a little less repgugnant, the street movement of the far right will pick up some steam.

Of course we've yet to see where the economy goes, and how bad the current crisis is going to become. If it goes as badly as I fear it might, a rise in the EDL and a new version of the BNP is quite plausable, worryingly.

Was that the Newsnight during the election? I was in the audience for that one. Sort of sat next to him at one point, which was very strange.

Well maybe not the BNP with a new name but whoever starts up next will get a lot of the old BNP members involved maybe even get Nick Griffin to work with them so it may as well be BNP mark 2.

Thankfully the National Front have become a sad relic with no political footing whatsoever & the news that the BNP are facing the end does bode pretty well for the EDL, as we've never classed ourselves as an "all White" movement, nor should we and hopefully we can take advantage and stop being linked with them & have no part of whoever inevitably replace them.

Believe it or not there are many members of the EDL who want no part of any BNP or NF association.

Which is ridicously ironic, as the EDL was created by BNP activists to help create racial tensions and further their cause.

Well maybe not the BNP with a new name but whoever starts up next will get a lot of the old BNP members involved maybe even get Nick Griffin to work with them so it may as well be BNP mark 2.

Griffins fucked, he's hated by the moderates who don't wanna be nazi's and hated by the nazi's for selling out, he'll be out of british politics within the next five years.

UKIP would, I'd imagine, take alot of the floating political support of the BNP, cos they're a bit mental and little england, but the link with the national front will get broken and they'll be alot more moderate.

S progress there.

Which is ridicously ironic, as the EDL was created by BNP activists to help create racial tensions and further their cause.

Not so much, no. It was BNP members who had grown disillusioned with the party and wanted something alternative to the BNP.

They best thing the EDL can do is not affiliate ourselves with any political party.