General politics discussion thread

David

Al Jazeera is the bomb, I wish it was on Freeview for more hours a day. They have the best international coverage by far, when the Americans aren't bombing their bureaus.

• Paid Members

Not yet, but Obama apparently gets it in his office and watches it regularly. There was a Twitter campaign to get it over there during the height of the Egypt protests.

• Paid Members
That says it all really, doesn't it? The US gets shitloads of channels, but they can't get Al Jazeera? Aren't they also prone to bombing the shit out of their offices as well?

Yep. As I understand it, they were quite keen on Al Jazeera prior to 9/11, dishing out praise for their impartiality, then afterwards things turned sour. I have to admit, for some years, I knew it as the channel that broadcast Bin Laden's messages and nothing more, purely because that's the only time it ever got mentioned in Western media since I've been aware enough to take in the news.

Edited by opcws

A girl I went to uni with ended up working for Al Jazeera. That's how I knew it wasn't about Islamic extremism. If it was, they'd have stoned her, not given her a job.

Same girl found Euan Blair pished, face down in Leicester Square, for anyon who remembers that story.

• Paid Members
The main people that talk about Fox News in this country are the Guardian. I don't know anyone that watches it. Very few Americans watch it(less than 2 million, in prime time), yet the liberal media seems to paint it as some kind of insidious brainwashing machine.

For a 24 hour news channel to get ratings like that during primetime shows how influential it is. Fox News gets more viewers than the other three highest news networks in the US combined.

Still less than 1% of the population though. The coverage it recieves in the liberal media is far out of proportion to the amount of influence it actually has. It's like people get off on pointing out that they don't watch it and how bad it is.

The main people that talk about Fox News in this country are the Guardian. I don't know anyone that watches it. Very few Americans watch it(less than 2 million, in prime time), yet the liberal media seems to paint it as some kind of insidious brainwashing machine.

For a 24 hour news channel to get ratings like that during primetime shows how influential it is. Fox News gets more viewers than the other three highest news networks in the US combined.

They have the market cornered on violent, gun toting republican maniacs.

• Paid Members
Still less than 1% of the population though. The coverage it recieves in the liberal media is far out of proportion to the amount of influence it actually has. It's like people get off on pointing out that they don't watch it and how bad it is.

That's the case if the same two million people are the only people watching throughout the 24 hours.

That's the case if the same two million people are the only people watching throughout the 24 hours.

Two million people is the rating for peak times. It's lower during other times of the day I imagine.

They have the market cornered on violent, gun toting republican maniacs.

Is that a big demographic?

I imagine most of the people who watch Fox news are older Americans that wonder what happened to the country they used to love.

• Paid Members

Two million people is the rating for peak times. It's lower during other times of the day I imagine.

Yesterday's ratings were over 3 million at 8pm. Again, are you suggesting it's the SAME 3 million people watching throughout the 24 hours?