What Album Are You Listening To?

Steveo2007

I think we all have those days where we just listen to the one album, or get hooked on a new album or re-hooked on an old album. In this thread you should recommend an album you're currently listening to that you think other people should hear if they haven't already. Or you could just use this thread to promote one of your favourite albums that again, you think other people should hear.

Anyway, my current album is.

615U+y76j3L.jpg

Band: Cage The Elephant

Album Name: Cage The Elephant

Released: 28th June 2008

I hadn't heard of this album until the vocalist Matt Schultz was on Never Mind The Buzzcocks and honestly I became intrigued by the band and decided to download the album about 2 months ago. I hadn't listened to it since I had downloaded it until yesterday when I just thought "what the hell" and I must say they're absolutely brilliant. They don't appear to me as the typical indy band you tend to see these days and it's kind of refreshing. A few songs reminded me very much of old school punk especially the Sex Pistols thanks to the bands lead guitarist who I believe is called Lincoln Parish (thanks to my friends at wikipedia). I would highly recommend this to you all and hope you at least give it a chance, unfortunately I suspect this will be the only album we see from this band as due to the current state the music scene is in, it doesn't like genuinely enjoyable bands.

8116083x.jpg

Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream

Theres something about this album that makes me think of Eddie Vedder and his vocals, really enjoying it, "Queen of the Supermarket" is a fantastic upbeat song that wouldnt seem out of place with Vedders work. Very strong album that flies by due to the warmth of it, "The Wrestler" is actually one of the weaker songs on the album, and feels almost tacked onto the album for the sake of getting the song out there (ok, it is a bonus track, but still) I can see this ending up in the list of my favourite albums of this year. Definatly recommended for any fans of Springsteen or even Pearl Jam/Vedder.

200px-syd_barrett-opel.jpg

Currently listening to Syd Barrett: Opel, it's a collection of outtakes and unreleased stuff. There's some really good tracks on it, especially the acoustic version of Dark Globe and the instrumental version of Late Night.

I've been listening to The Bitter End by Right Away, Great Captain. Really good if you're into moody acoustic stuff like Elliott Smith, Bon Iver etc. It sounds kind of overly arty, but it's the first in a trilogy of albums where all the songs are about a 16th sailor's voyage. It's by the lead singer of the Manchester Orchestra if anyone is familiar with them.

Queenie by Kings of Inifinite Space

and Be Special by Joyrider (yes after being recommended in a thred previously, when i said id got Fabulae and heard the cover which name i still for get, picked it up on a charity shop for pennies :) )

Archived