Any Smallville Fans?

Steveo2007

• Paid Members
The whole thing was done brilliantly with the obvious gripe being you didnt see a clear shot of Clark in the suit. It is correct that the reason that the suit wasn't fully shown was simply budget reasons. The suit literally costs thousands upon thousands of dollars to make. The one we saw was the suit from Superman Returns and was made for Brandon Routh and didnt fit Tom.

But hold on a minute, we're talking about a highly rated TV show that's run 10 years and you're telling me they couldn't afford a Superman suit? I'm just not buying that. Over the years we've seen no shortage of Superman TV shows, none of which had a problem getting hold of a suit that fit the actor, so why would Smallville be a problem? The Superman Returns suit was shit anyway, it's one of the things I hated about the film. Why on earth did they make it so dark?

The only thing that makes the suit issue forgivable is the fact that it was otherwise a fucking epic episode, truely well written and had me in the palm of it's hand from begining to end.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The whole thing was done brilliantly with the obvious gripe being you didnt see a clear shot of Clark in the suit. It is correct that the reason that the suit wasn't fully shown was simply budget reasons. The suit literally costs thousands upon thousands of dollars to make. The one we saw was the suit from Superman Returns and was made for Brandon Routh and didnt fit Tom.

But hold on a minute, we're talking about a highly rated TV show that's run 10 years and you're telling me they couldn't afford a Superman suit? I'm just not buying that. Over the years we've seen no shortage of Superman TV shows, none of which had a problem getting hold of a suit that fit the actor, so why would Smallville be a problem? The Superman Returns suit was shit anyway, it's one of the things I hated about the film. Why on earth did they make it so dark?

The only thing that makes the suit issue forgivable is the fact that it was otherwise a fucking epic episode, truely well written and had me in the palm of it's hand from begining to end.

In addition to the cost of the suit, I think Warner's and perhaps DC Comics didnt want another actor wearing the suit whilst there another Superman film in production. There is a belief (regardless of how stupid it is), that two actors donning the suit at the same time would cause some confusion to fans.

EDIT:- Just rewatched the last 5 minutes, I truly believe its the best 5 minutes of Television I have ever seen. The truly gutwrenching this that there won't be anymore.

• Paid Members
In addition to the cost of the suit, I think Warner's and perhaps DC Comics didnt want another actor wearing the suit whilst there another Superman film in production. There is a belief (regardless of how stupid it is), that two actors donning the suit at the same time would cause some confusion to fans.

This rumour's been going around for ages and it may well be true, but I personally think its stupid, especially given the sucess of Smallville. When is the new movie coming out anyway? It's not as though it's out this summer so there would have been a gap. Shame they decided not to cast Tom Welling in the role, that would have avoided the issue.

EDIT:- Just rewatched the last 5 minutes, I truly believe its the best 5 minutes of Television I have ever seen. The truly gutwrenching this that there won't be anymore.

Very, very true. I was litterally BURSTING with excitment, the way Jor El reminded Kal El how important his time in Smallville with the Kents was and then had Johnathan Kent hand him the suit just seemed so perfect. My GOD the stuff with the plane and then on the roof ripping the shirt open to the Superman theme was cream ya pants fantastic! It did leave me scream NOOOOOOOO at the TV when they didn't follow that shot through, but that didn't stop me replaying it a few times. I actually can't remember that last time I instantly wanted to replay a scene straight after just because it was so good.

• Paid Members

This rumour's been going around for ages and it may well be true, but I personally think its stupid, especially given the sucess of Smallville. When is the new movie coming out anyway? It's not as though it's out this summer so there would have been a gap. Shame they decided not to cast Tom Welling in the role, that would have avoided the issue.

Very, very true. I was litterally BURSTING with excitment, the way Jor El reminded Kal El how important his time in Smallville with the Kents was and then had Johnathan Kent hand him the suit just seemed so perfect. My GOD the stuff with the plane and then on the roof ripping the shirt open to the Superman theme was cream ya pants fantastic! It did leave me scream NOOOOOOOO at the TV when they didn't follow that shot through, but that didn't stop me replaying it a few times. I actually can't remember that last time I instantly wanted to replay a scene straight after just because it was so good.

I think the new movie will be coming out next Summer. It's just a shame they have fucking Zack Synder directing. I have zero faith in him being able to do Superman. He did a decent job on Watchmen, but aside from that I think the guy is absymal.

Regarding the end scene with him revealing the suit, it was like the greatest cock tease known to man. Clark bursts through and I found myself almost hyper ventilating haha. It was like one of those father/Son moments where I found myself almost shouting at the screen "GO ON SON! YOU CAN DO IT!".

Brilliant stuff.

• Paid Members
Regarding the end scene with him revealing the suit, it was like the greatest cock tease known to man. Clark bursts through and I found myself almost hyper ventilating haha. It was like one of those father/Son moments where I found myself almost shouting at the screen "GO ON SON! YOU CAN DO IT!".

Cock tease the is perfect discription! As the credits rolled I felt as though someone had switched channels right as the crutial moment! We had actually agreed not to talk at all during the show, so as he burst through the door I can tell you, you weren't the only one hyper ventilating! I was having to express my exciting through very strange hand and arm movement while various noises managed to escape. I don't recall breathing in those last few seconds. It was the most geek out moment I have ever had, I'm ashamed to say I think it even topped Hogan returning to WWF in 2002! I dread to think what I'd have done if they'd actually followed through with the pay off properly!

• Paid Members

Cock tease the is perfect discription! As the credits rolled I felt as though someone had switched channels right as the crutial moment! We had actually agreed not to talk at all during the show, so as he burst through the door I can tell you, you weren't the only one hyper ventilating! I was having to express my exciting through very strange hand and arm movement while various noises managed to escape. I don't recall breathing in those last few seconds. It was the most geek out moment I have ever had, I'm ashamed to say I think it even topped Hogan returning to WWF in 2002! I dread to think what I'd have done if they'd actually followed through with the pay off properly!

I want to leave work and go watch it all over again!

I thought it was brilliant only thing i would of changed is have Lois call him Superman or at least name him to the world as Superman on the video camera she had.

As for a spin off I have read that Tom Welling doesn't want to carry on he wanted to quit a few years ago but they convinced him to do 2 more series but now he says he's had enough plus Michael Rosenbaum doesn't want to be Lex any more it took a lot of work to talk him into coming back for the final episode

However a JLA spin off may not be out of the question maybe Tom would be willing to do a cameo or 2 for that and Justin Hartley has said he would be more than willing to carry on as Green Arrow in either his own show or a JLA show

• Paid Members
I thought it was brilliant only thing i would of changed is have Lois call him Superman or at least name him to the world as Superman on the video camera she had.

As for a spin off I have read that Tom Welling doesn't want to carry on he wanted to quit a few years ago but they convinced him to do 2 more series but now he says he's had enough plus Michael Rosenbaum doesn't want to be Lex any more it took a lot of work to talk him into coming back for the final episode

However a JLA spin off may not be out of the question maybe Tom would be willing to do a cameo or 2 for that and Justin Hartley has said he would be more than willing to carry on as Green Arrow in either his own show or a JLA show

Yeah, Tom Welling had become a bit tired of playing the same character but his enthusiasm for the role returned at season 8 when the new producers came in. It was reported the change in direction pleased him and they made him Executive Producer of the show.

Regarding Lois labelling him Superman, I was trying to think of a non corny way she could have done it in the context of the story, but I couldn't think of one! I was actually quite pleased with the way they executed the Superman name reveal with Chloe telling her son a Superman story and saying "And that's the story . Although I do agree that if a suitable way was found it would be great!

The ending sequence for you fella's to cream at again!

EDIT: - Scene but from Chloe calling Clark Superman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFauG5dyi_Y

• Paid Members

I believe my evening has now been planned out for me. I must watch it again! Watching your link of the last 2 minutes just gave me butterflies AGAIN!

Regarding Lois labelling him Superman, I was trying to think of a non corny way she could have done it in the context of the story, but I couldn't think of one! I was actually quite pleased with the way they executed the Superman name reveal with Chloe telling her son a Superman story and saying "And that's the story . Although I do agree that if a suitable way was found it would be great!

I loved the comic book stuff, the opening reminded my of the opening to Superman: The Movie, it was so perfect!

EDIT: I had no idea Kevin Costner had been cast as Johnathan Kent in the new movie!

EDIT II: I also just noticed that it's to feature General Zod, hmmm

EDIT III: Just read that the new movie will be treated as though there has never been another Superman movie, which is a shame cos I assume that means the good elements (the iconic music and excellent opening titles) will be dropped. Still, I'm sure (I hope) I'll enjoy it anyway and hopefullly more than I did Superman Returns.

• Paid Members

I believe my evening has now been planned out for me. I must watch it again! Watching your link of the last 2 minutes just gave me butterflies AGAIN!

I loved the comic book stuff, the opening reminded my of the opening to Superman: The Movie, it was so perfect!

EDIT: I had no idea Kevin Costner had been cast as Johnathan Kent in the new movie!

EDIT II: I also just noticed that it's to feature General Zod, hmmm

EDIT III: Just read that the new movie will be treated as though there has never been another Superman movie, which is a shame cos I assume that means the good elements (the iconic music and excellent opening titles) will be dropped. Still, I'm sure (I hope) I'll enjoy it anyway and hopefullly more than I did Superman Returns.

There is no way they will drop the iconic music imo, however the intro MAYBE dropped.

I'm glad they are starting fresh to be honest. They should have done that with Superman Returns in my opinion. Brandon Routh was perfectly cast, it was just a shame Lois and rest weren't.

I'm also happy about General Zod being the villian in this one. Whilst Lex in the comics can be a great villian, I feel in all of the movies he has been in he has been pretty poor. I always loved Terence Stamp as Zod in the second Superman movie (whilst also loving the fact he was Jor-El in Smallville) and hope the character can be great again in the new movie.

• Paid Members
There is no way they will drop the iconic music imo, however the intro MAYBE dropped.

I certainly hope not, but the idea that they are going to pretend there has never been a Superman movie before and start a fresh does imply they don't want to use anything from the previous movies, which in my opinion would be a mistake.

I'm glad they are starting fresh to be honest. They should have done that with Superman Returns in my opinion. Brandon Routh was perfectly cast, it was just a shame Lois and rest weren't.

My thoughts exactly, Routh was excellent and its a real shame they now have to move away from him due to almost everything else being a big cock up. I actually don't know what they were thinking with that film.

Whilst Lex in the comics can be a great villian, I feel in all of the movies he has been in he has been pretty poor.

Really? I was always quite impressed with Lex. Gene Hackman did a wonderful job IMO and Kevin Spacey was actually a good version too, one of the few other things that was good about Superman Returns.

• Paid Members

I certainly hope not, but the idea that they are going to pretend there has never been a Superman movie before and start a fresh does imply they don't want to use anything from the previous movies, which in my opinion would be a mistake.

My thoughts exactly, Routh was excellent and its a real shame they now have to move away from him due to almost everything else being a big cock up. I actually don't know what they were thinking with that film.

Whilst Lex in the comics can be a great villian, I feel in all of the movies he has been in he has been pretty poor.

Really? I was always quite impressed with Lex. Gene Hackman did a wonderful job IMO and Kevin Spacey was actually a good version too, one of the few other things that was good about Superman Returns.

I dunno, I just think maybe there needs to be more of a threat for this new Superman film. I've always felt a lack of threat when it has come to Lex in the movies. I thought Hackman and Spacey were fine in their roles, but I just feel that someone with a bit more power would be good for the new movie.

However, if they said to me they were casting Michael Rosenbaum as Lex in the new film I would be happy as a pig in shit.

Archived