Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

The problem would be pushing Generico as a serious wrestler without the persona could take the crowd support away. The attempts to push the serious version of Delirious left him with less momentum than when he was a comedy wrestler/huge underdog, except against Matt Sydal as they came up together.

• Paid Members

Generico is pretty good these days. Generally has good matches, a few opponents bring out the very best in him. The bush league gimmick holds him back though.

Generico has consistently been having great matches since 2005. One of the few guys out there whose matches almost always entertain. And the gimmick makes him so loveable to take it away would be career suicide.

Generico is pretty good these days. Generally has good matches, a few opponents bring out the very best in him. The bush league gimmick holds him back though.

Generico has consistently been having great matches since 2005. One of the few guys out there whose matches almost always entertain. And the gimmick makes him so loveable to take it away would be career suicide.
He'll never get any further than where he is now with the mask. I like Generico a lot, but the gimmick is small time. If he's a good as people (pretty universally) say, then he should be able to make it work.

• Paid Members

He'll never get any further than where he is now with the mask. I like Generico a lot, but the gimmick is small time. If he's a good as people (pretty universally) say, then he should be able to make it work.
Exactly. Look at Rey Mysterio. His mask prevented him from going so far, and when he took it off his career, er...ahem - what about that Eddie Edwards eh? Great wrestler

Man, that's horrible analysis.Rey became a huge draw in Mexico, where masked gimmicks work a tiny bit differently.Rey's gimmick is serious. Generico's is comedy. The two aren't comparable.Rey was a huge national star when he took his mask off and it damaged him. Generico is a medium sized fish in a small pond who wont get any where else with his shitty comedy gimmick.Rey is one of the best wrestlers of all time who wears a mask because he looks like a twelve year old without it. Generico is a good wrestler who used someone else's mask to get a foothold with a silly gimmick. It's time to let it go.So apart from the fact they both have masks, every single thing is different about those two situations. Don't act all passive aggressive because you feel personally offended whenever anyone disagrees with you, you look foolish.

• Paid Members

Generico is a medium sized fish in a small pond who wont get any where else with his shitty comedy gimmick.

Generico is not a WWE style wrestler so apart from TNA(which I beleive have stated interest in signing him multiple times) where is there for him to go? He's been booked all around the world, booked in every big US indy, multiple tours with Dragon Gate and alot of high paid European tours. There's not much else he can really do. No matter what his gimmick he wouldn't fit in WWE so why should he get rid of it? His gimmick is really great, a breath of fresh air from all the super serious wrestlers out there and he gives it alot of depth and humour.

He's got the potential to go further in ROH, in TNA and abroad. He'll have to be serious occasionally and he'll have to talk. And the gimmick takes away from his more serious matches because it's so bush league. I mean, it's amusing and all for a bit, but the whole comedy luchadore thing is cringe worthy and over done.

• Awards Moderator

Rey is one of the best wrestlers of all time who wears a mask because he looks like a twelve year old without it. Generico is a good wrestler who used someone else's mask to get a foothold with a silly gimmick. It's time to let it go.

Of course it's entirely possible that Generico also looks like a twelve-year old without the mask, in which case unmasking is not going to go too well for him either. I don't see why he needs to take it off, he gets reactions with it, without it he might have the same level of matches and Be Taken More Seriously but he'd also be just another lanky scrawny pale indy wrestler. He wouldn't stand out anymore, is I guess the gist of what I'm trying to get at.Unless he's got crazy scars or is actually Benicio Del Toro or something. Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Seeing as how Rey Mysterio has already been brought up here, what if he was introduced as Rey Mysterio's tag team partner on Smackdown with a name change (to remove the 'generic') but keeping the costume?

Yeah, my point is, the gimmick got him this far by making him stand out. But it's a very small time gimmick and he wont go any further with it. I'm not saying he'll take it off and immediately be Stan Hansen or anything. If he's happy to kill himself as a regional champion for small to medium indies for the rest of his career, then he can knock himself out. If he wants to even try to get a bit further, he'll have to do it as something other than "LOL Mexicans". I mean, at the moment, he wont even get to a Paul London, Brian Kendrick, James Gibson level.

Seeing as how Rey Mysterio has already been brought up here, what if he was introduced as Rey Mysterio's tag team partner on Smackdown with a name change (to remove the 'generic') but keeping the costume?

I'm talking about the gimmick more than the mask. People are just fixating on that for some reason.

• Paid Members

Rey is one of the best wrestlers of all time who wears a mask because he looks like a twelve year old without it. Generico is a good wrestler who used someone else's mask to get a foothold with a silly gimmick. It's time to let it go.

Of course it's entirely possible that Generico also looks like a twelve-year old without the mask, in which case unmasking is not going to go too well for him either. I don't see why he needs to take it off, he gets reactions with it, without it he might have the same level of matches and Be Taken More Seriously but he'd also be just another lanky scrawny pale indy wrestler. He wouldn't stand out anymore, is I guess the gist of what I'm trying to get at.Unless he's got crazy scars or is actually Benicio Del Toro or something.
The body type and evident facial hair of Generico, along with what Jigsaw looked like on his recent voluntary, angle based unmasking in ROH back up the lanky scrawny pale indie wrestler element of this post, for certain...