Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

How many have they had?

3 last year wasn't it? Manhattan Mayhem 4, Supercard Of Honor 6 and Death Before Dishonor 9?

Also:

fb11rotor_0.png

This special 2-Disc DVD set includes the entire iPPV broadcast featuring Richards/Edwards III for the ROH World Title, The Briscoes vs. Hass & Benjamin for the ROH World Tag Titles, Lethal vs. Bennett vs. Generico for the ROH TV Title, Steen vs. Corino, and a whole lot more!

PLUS, exclusive to this DVD release, unaired footage filmed following the conclusion of the Steen/Corino bout and, for the 1st time ever on DVD, content from

• Paid Members

Didn't they wrestle on a recent TV taping? They also wrestled at PWG's BOLA 2011, though I suppose that doesn't count from an ROH standpoint.

Didn't they wrestle on a recent TV taping? They also wrestled at PWG's BOLA 2011, though I suppose that doesn't count from an ROH standpoint.

I haven't watched any TV since Final Battle while i catch up on DVDs so i wouldn't know. But this next match is rearranged from the one i were supposed to have at The Homecoming 2012

• Paid Members

ROH Richards vs. Daniels (16 October 2010)

rida.png

The October double-header concludes with an interesting looking card from Chicago Ridge, IL. With some big, important matches linked to key feuds, this promises to be a step above your regular 'B' show. The titular Davey Richards vs. Christopher Daniels main event is match that I enjoyed far more than I thought I would going in. It is based on the simple premise that these two have been going back and forth for six months with each other about who is the better wrestler, so this is their chance to finally find out one way or another. It starts slow, builds well and ends with them going all out for the win with big moves, big reversals and big excitement. I could do without the mutual respectful love-fest afterwards, but the match itself is indeed a very good one, and Daniels' best performance in ages.

The Kings of Wrestling vs. Briscoes feud has produced some true crackers in 2010 and continues here in a match fought under elimination rules. While this one does not better the classics from 'Big Bang' and 'Death Before Dishonor', this is still a really strong, sterling offering from these two teams, brilliantly watchable from start-to-finish and providing plenty of twists and turns. The saga of Chris Hero's loaded elbow pad, the key factor to the story, adds even more drama and excitement. Thumbs way up.

In another huge match on the DVD, the bitter rivalry between Colt Cabana and Steve Corino, nearly 10 months old now, reaches it's conclusion in an "I Quit!" match in front of Cabana's home-town crowd. The issue between these two has been an offshoot of the El Generico vs. Kevin Steen situation, and a straightjacketed Steen appears in the corner of his buddy Corino as per the stipulations of the bout. As with most of the chapters in this series, this is another dramatic and bloody affair and a fitting inclusion in what has been a gripping scenario from start to finish. Steen himself, who looks like he is about to give birth any day now, has a very odd match with Homicide earlier in the show. They spend the first half of the match stalling and playing for laughs, but then immediately go into trading finishers in the ring. While the intensity and competitiveness between two men who don't really have an issue makes this somewhat more enjoyable, this isn't all that good.

Elsewhere, the All Night Express against ROH newcomers Kyle O'Reilly & Adam Cole is a neat, fun little new generation tag bout, if you can ignore a couple of ridiculously over-contrived spots from Cole/O'Reilly. Daizee Haze & her student Jamilia Craft vs. Lady JoJo & former SHIMMER Tag Champion Neveah (that's 'Heaven' spelt backwards) is crap, however, and Metal Master vs. Mike Mondo and Andy Ridge's next Trial Series bout (this time against former Havana Pitbull Ricky Reyes) add very little of value too.

The only bonus content on the disc is a half-dozen videos previewing the upcoming annual 'Survival of the Fittest' tournament (the next DVD release), but that is no downer since 'Richards vs. Daniels' is a pretty good show. The top 3 bouts are all well worth going out of your way to see, and the opening tag is decent too. Recommended.

Full show results:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King) beat Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly

Ricky Reyes beat Andy Ridge with a swinging neck-breaker in a Trial Series match

Lady JoJo & Neveah{W} beat Daizee Haze & Jamilia Craft{L}

Homicide beat Kevin Steen with a top-rope Ace Crusher

Metal Master beat Mike Mondo with a Crippler Crossface

The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) beat the Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) in a non-title elimination match:

Chris Hero eliminated Mark Briscoe after hitting him with the loaded elbow pad

Jay Briscoe eliminated Claudio Castagnoli with a Jaydriller

Jay Briscoe eliminated Chris Hero with a backslide

Colt Cabana beat Steve Corino in an "I Quit!" match

Davey Richards beat Christopher Daniels with an ankle lock

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up Next: Continuing the road to 'Final Battle', ee enter November 2010 with 'Survival of the Fittest 2010' and 'Fate of an Angel II'...

• Paid Members

ROH Survival of the Fittest 2010 (12 November 2010)

SurvivaloftheFittest2010.jpg

Uh oh - bonus disc alert. As is becoming customary, ROH's tactic of providing a supplementary "Best of Nigel McGuinness" DVD as part of this release seems to suggest that the event from Dearborn, MI isn't up to much and needs an additional selling point to justify the price tag. This is the first half of the November 2010 weekender, before they cross the border into Canada the following day.

As always, SOTF features 6 qualifying singles matches, with the winners advancing to the 6-way elimination final and the overall victor securing a future ROH World Title shot. Truth be told, first round matches of Colt Cabana vs. Rhett Titus, Kevin Steen vs. Kyle O'Reilly, Steve Corino vs. Adam Cole and El Generico vs. Kenny King are rather uninspiring to say the least. Coming in the midst of all that, however, is another great angle in the Steen vs. Generico feud which serves to add even more interest and heat onto their climatic Mask vs. Career bout just a few weeks away.

Elsewhere in the tourney, Claudio Castagnoli and Grizzly Redwood have a tremendously entertaining little contest and Chris Hero faces Eddie Edwards in a really good match which appears to be cut short due to Edwards suffering a legit shoulder injury.

There's a couple of non-tournament matches on the card, as Homicide takes on Andy Ridge in a really naff bout (which is the third match in the latter's Trial Series) and Christopher Daniels teams with the Briscoes to take on ROH World Champion Roderick Strong and his new House of Truth partners Michael Elgin(?) and Zach Gowan. Yes, that Zack Gowan. It seems House of Truth have lost Josh Raymond and Christian Able and have somehow managed to become even more jobberiffic than they were before. Go figure. Strong and Daniels have a singles match for the belt scheduled for the following evening in Ontario and this is supposed to be a preview of that. The last 3-4 minutes of this are actually really quite good, but up until then this is crap.

The 2010 'Survival of the Fittest' final of Rhett Titus vs. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Kevin Steen vs. Adam Cole vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Kenny King sees more involvement from El Generico as he tries to get to Steen, but that incident in the opening minute is unfortunately about as interesting as the whole thing gets. Edwards is next to useless here following his earlier injury, and I'm starting to realise that Adam Cole is more than a little bit shit. Castagnoli looks great as always, but even he can't save this from being a monumental let-down. A really weak ending to a duff show, which managed be to even worse than last year's less-than-sparkling version.

Thankfully, the aforementioned Nigel McGuinness disc more than makes up for the actual event's shortcomings, containing over 3 hours of the Brit's greatest ROH hits. Included are 7 World Title matches from 2007 and 2008, taking in his fantastic national PPV bouts with Takeshi Morishima ('Undeniable 2007'), Austin Aries ('Rising Above 2007') and Roderick Strong ('Driven 2008'), one of his corkers against Bryan Danielson ('6th Anniversary Show') and a brilliant battle with NOAH's Naomichi Marufuji ('Final Battle 2008'). There are also strong matches against Kevin Steen ('Northern Navigation') and El Generico ('Age of Insanity') to be found here too. Supreme stuff, with the Aries, Danielson and Marufuji offerings being particularly excellent, must-see material.

So, this ends up being another of those bizarre 2010 ROH DVD releases where the main show isn't up to much at all, but the overall package is made to taste so very sweet by throwing in a first-rate themed bonus disc. If you pick this up for the 'Survival of the Fittest', you'll be sorely disappointed, but if you come here looking to check out the McGuinness showcase, you will be left more than satisfied.

Full show results:

SOTF 1st round match: Rhett Titus beat Colt Cabana with a roll-up after using the ring bell

SOTF 1st round match: Claudio Castagnoli beat Grizzly Redwood with the UFO

SOTF 1st round match: Kevin Steen beat Kyle O'Reilly with El Generico's brainbuster

SOTF 1st round match: Adam Cole beat Steve Corino, reversing an abdominal stretch into a cradle

SOTF 1st round match: Eddie Edwards beat Chris Hero with the Achilles Lock

SOTF 1st round match: Kenny King beat El Generico with the Shotgun Knees

Trial Series Match: Homicide beat Andy Ridge with a lariat

Christopher Daniels{W, Best Moonsault Ever} & The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) beat The House of Truth (Roderick Strong & Michael Elgin & Zach Gowan{L})

SOTF Final:

Claudio Castagnoli eliminated Kevin Steen with a bicycle kick

Claudio Castagnoli eliminated Adam Cole with a lariat

Claudio Castagnoli eliminated Rhett Titus with a European uppercut

Kenny King eliminated Claudio Castagnoli with the Royal Flush

Eddie Edwards eliminated Kenny King with the Achilles Lock to win Survival of the Fittest 2010

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up next: Christopher Daniels challenges Roderick Strong for the World Title at 'Fate of an Angel II', as the November double-header comes to a conclusion in the Toronto area

Results from last night's show in Cincinnati:

Michael Elgin d. Adam Cole

Samson Walker d. Mike Mondo

Roderick Strong d. Eddie Edwards

Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls win 'Rise & Prove Tournament'

Jay Lethal d. BJ Whitmer

The Briscoes d. Davey Richards & Kyle O'Reilly

FULL REPORT: http://bit.ly/yaBj08

Edited by ROHSteven

• Paid Members

Crowd of 300? Christ. Mind you, that card didn't look much to write home about. I seem to be saying that a lot about ROH these days :(

• Paid Members

ROH Fate of an Angel II (13 November 2010)

FateofanAngel2.jpg

ROH returns to the Toronto area for the first time since the brilliant 'Death Before Dishonor' iPPV in July. The original 'Fate of an Angel' event some years ago featured Christopher Daniels against Matt Hardy, and the feature contest this time sees the 'Fallen Angel' as the first challenger for Roderick Strong's ROH World Championship. It isn't a blow-away match by any means, but it is a pretty good and more than adequate in the main event slot. I'm not high on Daniels, but I've enjoyed more of his matches from this latest ROH run than I thought I would.

The gripping El Generico vs. Kevin Steen feud continues to play out over a couple of tag matches. First, Steen gets involved in Generico & Colt Cabana's match against The All Night Express, leading to a big brawl. Then, Steen forces a group of local trainees to stand guard for the entirety of his World Tag Team Title bout with Steve Corino against The Kings of Wrestling to intercept Generico when he comes looking for revenge. It all ends up in a massive red hot pull-apart fight, and additional stipulations being announced for their upcoming match at 'Final Battle 2010'. As for these 2 tag matches themselves, the former is really entertaining fare which again demonstrates how Rhett Titus and Kenny King are establishing themselves as a polished act. The latter is also a decent, well-worked effort which I enjoyed more than I was expecting for an all-heel affair.

The DVD also features another 2 tag bouts, and both Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly vs. The Bravado Brothers and Grizzly Redwood & Bobby Dempsey vs. Michael Elgin & Zach Gowen are good fun.

Elsewhere, I found little of interest in Mark Briscoe vs. Andy Ridge or Sara Del Rey vs. Jamilia Craft, and Homicide and Jay Briscoe contest a tedious bout. Rounding out the disc is a 7-minute backstage interview with Steve Corino.

While 'Fate of an Angel II' doesn't feature anything that could be considered particularly excellent or must-see, there's some decent entertainment to be found here. If you skip this one, you won't have missed much, but if you do pick it up, you're likely to enjoy what is on offer. Vastly, vastly superior to the previous evening's 'Survival of the Fittest' event, anyway...

Full show results:

Grizzly Redwood{W, top rope elbow drop} & Bobby Dempsey beat The House of Truth (Zach Gowen{L} & Michael Elgin)

Trial Series Match: Mark Briscoe beat Andy Ridge with a cut-throat driver

Sara Del Rey beat Jamilia Craft with a piledriver

All Night Express (Rhett Titus{W, roll-up} & Kenny King) beat El Generico & Colt Cabana{L} while Generico brawled with Kevin Steen at ringside

Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly beat The Bravado Brothers

Homicide beat Jay Briscoe with an Ace Crusher after using Eddie Guerrero's "boot" trick

Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero{W, Death Blow} & Claudio Castagnoli) beat Kevin Steen & Steve Corino{L} to retain the ROH World Tag Team Titles while Steen was distracted by El Generico

Roderick Strong beat Christopher Daniels with a back-breaker to retain the ROH World Title

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up next: I finally reach the final weekend of 2010, with 'Tag Title Classic 2' and the simply massive 'Final Battle 2010'.

Edited by Big Benny HG

According to somebody on Twitter who is watching this week's TV show, they announced Mike Bennett against... Lance Storm!

Seems a very strange one to me but apparently it will be at SITS night one!

Also announced are Jacobs v Steen for 10th Anniversary and Briscoes v WGTT for SITS

I'd love to see Chris Masters in ROH. He's obviously a fucking brilliant wrestler. I reckon a match between him and Elgin would have me spunking at the prospect.

Shame about El Generico there. Especially since the Steen/Generico stuff looked like it was going to get going again. I wonder how long "down the line" means.

Masters is a good shout I think. He was very solid towards the back end of his WWE career. Great shape, good crowd reaction, and solid in-ring.

They could do a lot worse than someone like him.

Gallows isn't bad to be honest, but he'd have to come in and just dominate the fuck out of the little guys. They need someone big to face him and they can just smack the shit out of each other like Morishima and Bison Smith formerly etc.