Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Apparently Austin Aries applied for the new series of Tough Enough, got turned down, and now is whinging that he's thinking of retiring. Now I like Aries; granted, he was burned out in ROH and needed some time out, but he's still one of the top wrestlers around on his day. But can he really be suprised that he got knocked back from WWE, being as small as he is? Retiring just because you didn't get onto TE seems a touch churlish.

Anyway, here's a preview of the 9th Anni Show :

Roderick Strong vs. Homicide - No Holds Barred - I'm not surpised they added a stip for this one; Homicide's dreadful ring work since he got back means he needs all the help he can get. You'd like to think ROH wouldn't be daft enough to put the belt on him with his form being like it is at the moment...Strong to retain.

The Kings of Wrestling vs. King & Titus - to me it would be a huge anti-climax if the Kings were to lose the belts to K&T; but apparently Delirious is very big on the latter, even if it doesn't extend to giving them a few clean wins to make them look credible. Surely the team to dethrone the Kings has to be Hass and Benjamin? Kings to retain.

Dream Tag Match - The Briscoe Brothers vs. Haas and Benjamin - a dream tag? Hmmm, of sorts. for me the real dream tag would have been the Briscoes of 2006/07 vs. WGTT, but this is still a pretty tasty match-up. Can't see H & B losing if they're to have any credibility as tag title contenders down the line...

Christopher Daniels vs. Eddie Edwards - 2/3 Falls - I havn't seen either of the D/E TV title matches yet, but I can't see them having a bad match here. Daniels to win.

Colt Cabana vs. Davey Richards - I completely agree with the deciison to have Strong go over at FB 10 - for him to have lost would have cut him off at the knees, and probably spelt the end of his ROH career. It kind of leaves Richards twiddling his thumbs for the moment though. He certainly deserves a better opponent for one of ROH's biggest cards of the year than Colt Cabana. Why not give him O'Reilly, in the match that was supposed to headline EVOLVE 2? Richards to win.

El Generico vs. Michael Elgin - one of the key things to do as a booker is make sure you have a program lined up for guys coming out of a big feud. Clearly that hasn't happened with Generico. It's hard to see where he can go at this point. He's clearly not considered world title material; the TV belt would have been ideal for him, but they've just put it on Daniels...Elgin isn't big enough yet to go over Generico is he?

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members
Apparently Austin Aries applied for the new series of Tough Enough, got turned down, and now is whinging that he's thinking of retiring. Now I like Aries; granted, he was burned out in ROH and needed some time out, but he's still one of the top wrestlers around on his day. But can he really be suprised that he got knocked back from WWE, being as small as he is? Retiring just because you didn't get onto TE seems a touch churlish.

Hasnt he been trying to get with WWE for some time now though? i heard rumblings of him trying to get a deal when he won his second ROH title, as well as (or maybe the same sort of time) when danielson got signed as i think he presumed he'd be next on the signing list. For some reason the deal never came, and they ended up signed Tyler black instead.

Maybe he saw this as his "Final way in" or something?

• Paid Members

I wonder if Aries supposedly having a dodgy rep backstage when he was in TNA could have filtered across to WWE?

Aries is on DGUSA over Wrestlemania weekend isn't he? I'm going to the Sunday midday show headlined by Yoshino and Pac vs CIMA and Ricochet, which would be easy enough for UK viewers to watch on iPPV..

• Paid Members

Results from the weekend...

ROH presents "World's Greatest"- 2/25/11 - Dayton, OH

a. Mike Sydal over "Hot Commodity" Matt/Marcus Mason

1. Challenge Match

Jay Briscoe over Kyle O'Reilly in a really fun opener.

2. Tag Team Challenge Match

The Bravado Brothers of Harlem & Lance over Steve Corino & Grizzly Redwood when Lance pinned Corino with a roll-up and handful of tights.

3. Challenge Match

"The Prodigy" Mike Bennett w/ Brutal Bob over Mark Briscoe after a low blow and a sit-down STO

ROH returns to Dayton on Friday, May 20th

4. Four Corner Survival Match

Colt "Boom Boom" Cabana over "Addicted to Love" Rhett Titus, Mike Mondo and Andy "Right Leg" Ridge when Mondo tapped to Billy Goat's Curse

5. Non-Title Challenge Match

ROH World Television Champion "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels over Michael Elgin w/ Truth Martini via roll-up.

Elgin attacked post-match and El Generico made the save.

Intermission.

6. Shane Hollister & Trik Davis over Pelle Primeau & Marker Dillinger

7. Challenge Match

"The Notorious 187" Homicide over El Generico after blocking the Brainbuster, hitting an eye rake and Ace Crusher for the win.

8. Survival of the Fittest 2010 Finale Re-Match

Eddie Edwards over "Pretty Boy Pitbull" Kenny King in an excellent match

9. Six Man Tag Team Challenge Match

Davey Richards and WGTT: Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas over ROH World Champion Roderick Strong w/ Truth Martini and ROH World Tag Team Champions The Kings of Wrestling: "That Young Knockout Kid" Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli w/ Shane Hagadorn when Davey forced Strong to submit to a Cross Arm Breaker

9th Anniversary Show - Chicago Ridge, IL - 2/26/11 - as this was iPPV, i've done spoiler tags for this as people may still be wanting to watch the replay. Apparently they drew their biggest Chicago crowd ever for this one...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

1. Davey Richards defeated Colt Cabana

2. Mike Bennett defeated Steve Corino in a Four Corner Survival Match that included Grizzly Redwood and Kyle O'Reilly

3. El Generico defeated Michael Elgin

4. Roderick Strong retained the ROH World Title over Homicide in a no holds barred match

5. Sara Del Rey defeated MisChif

6. Kings of Wrestling retained the ROH World Tag Team Titles over the All Night Express.

7. Eddie Edwards vs. Christopher Daniels went to a Thirty Minute Draw

8. Wrestlings Greatest Tag Team defeated The Briscoes and are now the number 1 contenders to the ROH Tag Titles.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

I read somewhere they drew 1,500. The fact is though they still over-rely on Chicago and New York to draw. Hopefully they can rebuild the Philly market after killing it with the TV tapings.

From 411 :

According to Gabe Sapolsky, Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole are finished with EVOLVE, who said they were informed they are no longer allowed to work for a promotion by Ring of Honor.

I have to say I think this is bullshit to be honest. EVOLVE aren;t competition for ROH in nay way shape or form. I can understand ROH not wanting them to work DG:USA, but EVOLVE, really? Taking a couple of pay-days out of the guys pockets for no reason if you ask me.

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

Announced for the next iPPV "Honor Takes Center Stage" on April 1st is Roderick Strong or Eddie Edwards vs. Christopher Daniels for the World title. And also the Kings of Wrestling vs. Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team for the tag belts.

I can't see Shelton Benjamin staying on the independents past the summer (If he goes to TNA i can see Charlie going too) so i think they'll get a reign with the tag belts just to make the headlines.

I read somewhere they drew 1,500. The fact is though they still over-rely on Chicago and New York to draw. Hopefully they can rebuild the Philly market after killing it with the TV tapings.

From 411 :

According to Gabe Sapolsky, Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole are finished with EVOLVE, who said they were informed they are no longer allowed to work for a promotion by Ring of Honor.

I have to say I think this is bullshit to be honest. EVOLVE aren;t competition for ROH in nay way shape or form. I can understand ROH not wanting them to work DG:USA, but EVOLVE, really? Taking a couple of pay-days out of the guys pockets for no reason if you ask me.

Didn't Davey Richards say in his interview in Powerslam last year that it was actually EVOLVE and Gabe Sapolsky who cancelled his dates because he refused to give up Ring of Honor dates as they too gave him money?

• Paid Members

Make no bones about it, it's war. Even if they only run the same weekend once a year (Mania), its clear you work for Gabe or you work for ROH but not both.

How sad.