WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Wario Ware: Touched is the gaming equivalent of Salt and Vinegar Pringles. Just. One. More.

Yes it is. Juggle Boy owns me with it's ridiculously simple rhythmic tappa tappa tappa gameplay.In other DS news, I love my DS. Wario Ware for the short bursts, Mario 64 for the long haul of getting all the stars again (plus 30 more) and that "wow, I'm playing Mario 64 and I'm not in my house" feeling that somehow still amuses me. Yoshi Touch and Go is great as well because it's one of those old school games that's about nothing but bettering your high score. Then I've got Advance Wars DS for the long train journeys with the thoughtful pondering and catchy music. Most recently though, I got Mario Kart DS. If you have a DS you need to buy this, but then you should know that anyway. Thirty two tracks, many a kart, new power ups and added mission and boss modes which are a neat little diversion. Sixteen original courses, most of which are pretty good (though arguably not up to the standards of some of the previous games), on the plus side I actually quite like the new rainbow road even if it's not nearly as hard as it should be. In fact, my main criticism of the game would be that it's far too easy, but then it's really designed to shine in wi-fi multiplayer. The sixteen retro courses are pretty cool, especially seeing some of the old Snes courses with their updated visuals. They haven't picked the best courses from my beloved Gamecube version, but 32 is still an impressive number of courses and there are plenty of good ones. The new power ups are quite nifty, the octopus that inks up the opponent's screen is a tremendous idea, and I like the 6-8th place "turn into a giant bullet bill for a bit and fly back into contention" power up. The ridiculously unfair blue spiny shell remains but isn't as devastating as it used to be thankfully. Haven't unlocked everything yet so I'm hoping there are a few more characters to come. Was glad to unlock Waluigi, the evil characters always have the best soundbites. Dry Bones is no compensation for the omission of Koopa Trooper though, he was king of the Snes game for my young beginners' hands. :( The visuals are stunning, it all runs at speedy and smooth rate, the characters, karts and tracks look great and the amount and quality of sound you can apparently fit on a DS cart continues to impress me. More importantly, the gameplay is as absorbing and satisfying as ever. The "take that you bastard" factor is there, the tremendous hop -> drift -> boost out cornering is up there with the 'cube version too.Next on the list: Sonic Rush, Phoenix Wright, Lost in Blue and one of those games where you perform surgery with the stylus. :)Other than that, Pro Evo 5 is ruling my PS2, Harvest Moon is my Gamecube game of the moment and my Xbox is at home gathering dust because no one wants to do four player Halo 2 any more. Fools.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody playing Prince Of Persia: The Two Thrones? It's brilliant...

I started playing it a bit last weekend, hoping to get into it over the next few days. I <3 PoP.
I started playin it today for a few hours at a mates house pretty good game, got my rewind time Power. And at the moment i'am upto the part where i'am getting out of the falling building. Edited by the g

• Awards Moderator

Next on the list: Sonic Rush, Phoenix Wright, Lost in Blue and one of those games where you perform surgery with the stylus. :)

Consider a ten day rental on Lost in Blue. It's very good but has a whopping difficulty curve - no prompts, no tutorial, just battle it out, you and the retarded blind leper girl. If it grates you'll be stuck with it.Phoenix Wirght is awesome. So much fun.I've never been a Mario Kart fan but I may consider it due to the rave reviews.I haven't been convinced to get Advance Wars DS yet - is it different enough from AW2?Next on my DS list: a golf game, then the immense Animal Crossing.

Next on the list: Sonic Rush, Phoenix Wright, Lost in Blue and one of those games where you perform surgery with the stylus. :)

Consider a ten day rental on Lost in Blue. It's very good but has a whopping difficulty curve - no prompts, no tutorial, just battle it out, you and the retarded blind leper girl. If it grates you'll be stuck with it.Phoenix Wirght is awesome. So much fun.
Where did you get that from? It's not out until March.

• Awards Moderator

Consider a ten day rental on Lost in Blue. It's very good but has a whopping difficulty curve - no prompts, no tutorial, just battle it out, you and the retarded blind leper girl. If it grates you'll be stuck with it.Phoenix Wirght is awesome. So much fun.
The DS has no region-coding; I got mine from CD-WOW.com.(other retailers are available) :thumbsup:

The DS has no region-coding; I got mine from CD-WOW.com.(other retailers are available) :thumbsup:
Great, cheers for the link! I can order Phoenix Wright and Animal Crossing now.Also, does anyone how Nintendo and Sony deal with the 'dead pixels' issue? I'm tempted to get a PSP, but I've seen some that have problems with dead pixels. It's one thing to play a game on them, but it's annoying when watching a movie.

• Awards Moderator

Great, cheers for the link! I can order Phoenix Wright and Animal Crossing now.Also, does anyone how Nintendo and Sony deal with the 'dead pixels' issue? I'm tempted to get a PSP, but I've seen some that have problems with dead pixels. It's one thing to play a game on them, but it's annoying when watching a movie.

I understand you can get a free replace/repair from what others on the forum have said.Animal Crossing: I can't possibly buy it now, I'd turn into a mole for a month :(

Just finished Silent Hill 3. I don't agree with Pink2 (oh yes) when he says that SH2 is the best in the series, because I found SH3 to be far superior. It's certainly scarier. SH2 had corridors and corridors of doors that you had to try one by one, and most of them wouldn't open, so it was boring. SH3 has corridors and corridors of doors that you are SCARED to open, but you know you have to anyway, and that makes it scarier. SH2 never had that effect on me. Only the puzzles let the game down; they're either obvious or - on Hard puzzle mode - impossible, with nothing in between. Only the puzzles prevent me from saying that this game is better than the original. Now to find a cheap copy of SH4...Also, I've revised my opinion of GTA:LCS sharply upwards, because I've now tried multiplayer. It is AWESOME. I was at a mate's yesterday and played a straight deathmatch and a tank match (a great variation on king-of-the-hill - one guy has a tank, everyone else wants it). If my battery hadn't given out we'd probably still be playing now. Fantastic.

Just finished Silent Hill 3. I don't agree with Pink2 (oh yes) when he says that SH2 is the best in the series, because I found SH3 to be far superior. It's certainly scarier. SH2 had corridors and corridors of doors that you had to try one by one, and most of them wouldn't open, so it was boring. SH3 has corridors and corridors of doors that you are SCARED to open, but you know you have to anyway, and that makes it scarier. SH2 never had that effect on me. Only the puzzles let the game down; they're either obvious or - on Hard puzzle mode - impossible, with nothing in between. Only the puzzles prevent me from saying that this game is better than the original. Now to find a cheap copy of SH4...Also, I've revised my opinion of GTA:LCS sharply upwards, because I've now tried multiplayer. It is AWESOME. I was at a mate's yesterday and played a straight deathmatch and a tank match (a great variation on king-of-the-hill - one guy has a tank, everyone else wants it). If my battery hadn't given out we'd probably still be playing now. Fantastic.

I prefer the story in Silent Hill 2 compared to 3, its really messed up when you get to the end and you realise whats going on and why Angela, Eddie and yourself have been summoned to Silent Hill and why the young girl is not freaked out at all. Forget your 50cent Bulletproof THIS is a mature video game.I'll agree about the scariness of Silent Hill 3. That game was really nasty. Highlights for me are the subway victim, the mannequin, THAT mirror room :( and the haunted house! Make sure you're copy of Silent Hill 4 is cheap, it's probably the worst of the series and after a year I still havent had the motivation to finish the thing. It wasn;t orignally a Silent Hill game and it shows. Its not as scary, though it does get a bit freaky after the first half, and it feels very rushed and unfinished. The sound, one of the most important elements of the series, is a huge dissapointment. The story is pretty decent though but the overall game put me off from finishing yet, yet I still happily play the other 3 games. I'll do it one day, perhaps tomorrow :D

I'll agree about the scariness of Silent Hill 3. That game was really nasty. Highlights for me are the subway victim, the mannequin, THAT mirror room :( and the haunted house!

Gonna spoilerise this, just in case.
SPOILER
Yep, those bits were all pants-wettings stuff. The mirror room :-((The haunted house I found creepier than your granny in an evening gown the first time through, but I think they made a mistake by having an instant-death bit half-way through. It took me three attempts to run down the corridor without getting caught (I blame the beer), and going through the haunted house for a second and third time made it seem just daft. If they'd just put a continue-point at the start of the corridor, I'd still be scared to go to bed. :(

I understand you can get a free replace/repair from what others on the forum have said.Animal Crossing: I can't possibly buy it now, I'd turn into a mole for a month :(
I've just picked up AC on GC for the first time in 3 months. So many weeds :(I hope I can find the ghost.

• Awards Moderator

I've just picked up AC on GC for the first time in 3 months. So many weeds :(I hope I can find the ghost.
Not to mention the dirty, dirty lice.For Spat: http://www.swallowgames.com/c_PlayStation2/c_NewGames/Silent-Hill-4-The-Room.asp'>Silent Hill 4 for