The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

How are TNA television ratings and PPV buyrates comparing with ECW's back in the day?

meanwhile I know that TNA is averaging about 30,000-35,000 buys a ppv, with a peak of about 40,000, but not that that equals in buyrates. I do recall hearing that the best ECW ppv sold something like 100,000 buys, so that's considerably highet than TNA have managed so far.I don't think there's that much in it between the tv ratings, but ECW's were generally marginally higher.
1.0 was generally around 400,000 in those days. So TNA would be 0.1 or just under. This buyrate scheme isn't as accurate, that's why these days PPV's get their actual buy numbers quoted. Roughtly ECW looks to have around 85-90K every PPV. But conversely, they seem to only have around 4 PPV's a year.

• Paid Members

Two questions brahs.Number One: When Undertaker debuted in 1990 was he "Kane the Undertaker" or plain, old "Undertaker"?

On his very first appearance (Survivor Series 90) and for the few subsequent weeks he was The Undertaker. By the Royal Rumble 91 he was Kane The Undertaker. By Wrestlemania 7 he was The Undertaker. So it was probably only a few months - 2 at most - when he was referred to as Kane. There was never any explanation for this when factoring in his brother being called Kane...
He was Kane the Undertaker at all the tapings in 1990. Several of these were taped before the Survivor Series PPV (where he 'debuted' as just The Undertaker) but aired after the event.The last taping where he was Kane The Undertaker was 12 December, with the match airing on 20 January 1991.From the January 7 1991 taping, he was just the Undertaker. The first of his matches from this taping aired on 2 February.

Two questions brahs.Number One: When Undertaker debuted in 1990 was he "Kane the Undertaker" or plain, old "Undertaker"?

On his very first appearance (Survivor Series 90) and for the few subsequent weeks he was The Undertaker. By the Royal Rumble 91 he was Kane The Undertaker. By Wrestlemania 7 he was The Undertaker. So it was probably only a few months - 2 at most - when he was referred to as Kane. There was never any explanation for this when factoring in his brother being called Kane...
He was Kane the Undertaker at all the tapings in 1990. Several of these were taped before the Survivor Series PPV (where he 'debuted' as just The Undertaker) but aired after the event.The last taping where he was Kane The Undertaker was 12 December, with the match airing on 20 January 1991.From the January 7 1991 taping, he was just the Undertaker. The first of his matches from this taping aired on 2 February.
Certainly the Apter mags called him "Kane The Undertaker" for a while after that. They also referred to John Tenta as "Canadian Earthquake" in a similar situation...

I don't suppose anyone would be able to post the listings for the USWA videos that were released in the early 90's, I believe they were ; Best of Main Event, Best of Tag Team, Best of Kerry Von Erich, Renegade Rampage, and just a general Best of USWA, are they any good?cheersJames

I don't suppose anyone would be able to post the listings for the USWA videos that were released in the early 90's, I believe they were ; Best of Main Event, Best of Tag Team, Best of Kerry Von Erich, Renegade Rampage, and just a general Best of USWA, are they any good?cheersJames

They will be up on my website fairly soon, but right now they aren't. :/ However, I do have The Best Of Kerry Von Erich listings for you. All the matches were from USWA/ WCCW whatever you want to call it. Kerry Von Erich and Steve Simpson vs. Buddy Roberts and Ice man Kingparsons, Late 80sAl Perez vs. Kerry Von Erich in a Steel Cage Match, 1988Kevin anld Kerry Von Erich vs. Terry Gordy and Buddy Roberts in a Streetfight, 1980sTeam Buba vs. Kerry Von Erich, 1980sKevin and Kerry Von Erich and Steve Simpson vs. Iceman King Parsons, Buddy Roberts and Angel Of Death,Chris Adams and Kerry Von Erich vs. Terras Bulba and Sheikh Braddock, WCCW Renegades RampageHope that helps, :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Certainly the Apter mags called him "Kane The Undertaker" for a while after that. They also referred to John Tenta as "Canadian Earthquake" in a similar situation...

Don't forget the Apter mags had a very long lead time - it was up to three months from when they wrote an article to when the magazine hit the newsstands.I suspect what they usually did was wait for reports of TV tapings and use the clues from that to write stories based around the feuds that looked likely. This meant they would usually have stories relevant to ongoing feuds at the time of publication. However, if plans changed (or somebody got a gimmick tweak), they could be caught out.

Speaking of the Apter Mags, how did they do the interviews with the wrestlers? I always thought that they just made them up, but some of the interviews would seem to be legit. In particular, they did interviews with Bischoff in early 2000, Heyman in late 99, DDP in 2000, and Melanie Pillman in late 1997, all interviews that when read seem to be totally legit when looking at the people in question....

Speaking of the Apter Mags, how did they do the interviews with the wrestlers? I always thought that they just made them up, but some of the interviews would seem to be legit. In particular, they did interviews with Bischoff in early 2000, Heyman in late 99, DDP in 2000, and Melanie Pillman in late 1997, all interviews that when read seem to be totally legit when looking at the people in question....

My answer is just a guess, so please ask around. This is just my opinion.I'd say that the "in-character" interviews, where a character such as Hollywood Hogan talked about how the NWO was going to take over the wrestling business, were probably made up. I'd bet that's the case in this day and age with the fans being smarter. So if you ever see an interview with, say, Booker T discussing how scary The Boogeyman is, then you can probably assume it's made up.I'd say any non-kayfabe interviews are legit. I read PWI and Inside Wrestling/The Wrestler, and have read them for years. I know the Eric Bischoff interview you speak of and as he was discussing competition with the WWF, merchandising, business, etc, then I'm pretty sure it was legit as PWI probably wouldn't make up such a long interview. And there were interviews with George "The Animal" Steele and J.J. Dillon in recent issues of Inside Wrestling/The Wrestler, and they were most likely legit.Hopefully, someone else will answer this and give another perspective, but I'm pretty sure it's as I described it above.

Guest Lygerbomb

Why can i not get hold of fighting spirit, ive checked in all 3 of whsmiths that are around me (Kent) and there's none there.

Why can i not get hold of fighting spirit, ive checked in all 3 of whsmiths that are around me (Kent) and there's none there.

Perhaps they've sold out.Perhaps they don't stock it.A good idea would be to actually ask the people who work in the shop if they sell the magazine.

What happened to Cade & Murdoch?

They mentioned on an online segment that they've split. One(sorry I can't remember which one), was given a gimmick where he was a film reviewer. He said how Brokeback Mountain moved him, etc, setting up a gay cowboy gimmick. I believe this was Murdoch, but only because his name would suit it, rather than being able to distinguish them. This was almost directly after they lost the tag belts. Why makes you wonder what the point was!Edit: PWI. I believe all PWI interviews up until '97 were kayfabed and totally made up, without even the person being notified about it. NWA/WCW and WWE had an agreement with Apter he could do this, as he'd only build up fueds, you rarely see anyone getting a slagging or negative write-up through. I last bought PWI in around '98, I'd assume you could only stay in a kayfabe-bubble for so long. I would be astonished if it's still written in kayfabe. King Cobra - what's the delay like in issues? Before monthly PPV's they could keep up, but after that it would have been a mess. In '94/95 the issues were literally 3-4 months behind what was actually happening, and most of the articles consisted of 'What Ifs', i.e. wrestlers joining together, possible main events way in the future, like I.C. Champ fighting with World Champ(but no sign of this on TV). Edited by shinyahashimoto