Bret Hart or Kurt Angle

doinbadabing

Who is the better pro wrestler  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bret, by a country mile. For the reasons I gave in the other thread:I can't see one area where Angle has Bret beaten.In-ring ability? Bret. Had more great matches, was technically better, better at selling, had better stamina and could carry a match better.Promos? Bret. Sure Angle can be comical sometimes but that's not really what a promo is about. A promo is supposed to get you interested in the match the wrestler is promoting. Angle has never really cut a promo which has made me think "Damn...I really want to see that now". Bret has.Character? Bret, easy. Angle has been booked as a 30 year old virgin, and he couldn't play a serious character if his life depended on it. Bret has displayed much more range and variety than Kurt has. Angle can play one character: The Goof.

Edited by BionicRedneck

Guest Chaos Dragon

Bret for sure. In the ring Bret is better because for starters, Angle still can't quite grasp the concept of selling, and the guy just looks plain lost in there when it's his turn to carry the match, usually resorting to chinlocks. I don't think it's a coincidence either that in all of Angle's good matches this year, it's the other guy out-performing him, even with his recent match with Undertaker.On the mic, again Bret gets the nod. Sure Angle can do his little comedy act, as a heel. But his promos are just so forced like he's a poor man's Rocky when he's a babyface, and I'm not convinced that he can cut a more serious, traditional promo to sell a match either. Bret could do that.I'll comment on character like Redneck did, but again Bret wins. Angle's been booked like a clown most of his career. I mean one minute he's hinted at being gay while cutting cheap heat promos, the next minute he's pretending to be Rocky in some horrible attempt to be witty, and even the next minute he's trying to make us take him seriously. He's just not too good as a face, and he can only push himself so far as a heel. Bret was a great traditional babyface, and didn't resort to goofiness, which protected his persona. As a heel, he had that real mean streak, and he knew what to say and how to say it. Much more versatile than Angle.

Definitely Bret for me, for all the reasons above but especially because I can't remember the last time I actually looked forward to an Angle match all that much.After the match has taken place I'll think it was an awesome match, but I've never cared enough about him to anticipate any of his matches to the point I did with Bret's, much less consider buying a PPV (if I was in the US) solely on the back of Angle's match, which is pretty much his job as the top name on Smackdown.

• Awards Moderator

I know it's relatively early days for Angle but I still can't get myself to like Bret, so Kurt has to take the nod.I'm going to get screamed down for this, but Bret just exudes bland. I could never get into his character and couldn't wait for his matches to end. I realise I am in a massive minority here, as he clearly has a monstrous legion of fans that generate heroic devotion to this day. Personally, he's not the kind of wrestler I go for. I like my faves to have a little more showmanship. Hence I know I'm going to have a good time when Angle gets onto the screen, ***** match or not.And hell, I've looked forward to dozens of Angle matches. Probably none more so than the Iron Man...Maybe it was the greasy hair, I dunno.

Bret Hart for sure.Kurt has never been involved in anything that actually made me care. Bret exudes class and competitiveness where as Kurt is for the most part a goofy suplex machine. Nothing Kurt has done ever comes close to the stuff Bret did with owen or as part of the 1997 Hart Foundation let alone the 2 Steve Austin classics.Kurt Angle has good matches but Bret Hart has excellent matches that actually meant something. It's not really fair on Angle to even judge at this stage because he's only had a few years as a pro and can't be expected to be at Bret's level yet, whether he ever will be is left to time, but I for one doubt it.

Edited by Lower Occipital Proturbance

• Paid Members

Whilst I'd consider Angle to be the more consistent performer (Hart was notorious for phoning it in at house shows), Hart just about edges it for me as he had more memorable performances, simply due to having been around for so long.On a side note, I think the criticism about Angle's interviews is unfair, because the WWE gives its performers scripted promos, and the WWE loves giving Angle comedy interviews to blurt out. Whilst Angle hasn't cut memorable money promos like Hart sometimes did, I personally find Angle's delivery to be far, far better.

Usually i wud pick Bret Hart but Kurt Angle is a great wrestler. So i voted To hard to decide on this one. It wud be great to see Angle v Hart but i doubt we ever will.UNLESS u create Bret on Smackdown 5 and have him face Kurt Angle and just let the commie play both wrestlers.

Hart was notorious for phoning it in at house shows

I hate when people say that. Obviously, I haven't seen all of Bret's house show matches over the years, but from the 30 or so I saw, he NEVER entered a performance I would call poor, and was involved in many excellent matches. I think the 'Bret was crap when there were no cameras' thing has just been blown out of porportion, and grown WAY too much in legend.

It's pretty close from where I'm sitting.Hart had many memorable moments from his time in the ring, but Angle has had his fair share so far - and I can't see, barring any more serious injuries, why he won't have any more.Angle is a very entertaining guy, as proven by his skits with Stone Cold in the past. I can't for the life of me remember a time when I found Hart performing as well as that in a storyline situation.

(Hart was notorious for phoning it in at house shows)

I disagree with that statement so much it isn't funny.Some of Bret Harts best matches are from house shows, examples vs Owen Hart Iron man, vs Ric Flair Iron man, vs Flair late 1992 WWF title matches, vs Bulldogs etc etc..I really would love to know where this started and what are the examples behind it?Regards nate holynski

• Paid Members

(Hart was notorious for phoning it in at house shows)

I disagree with that statement so much it isn't funny.Some of Bret Harts best matches are from house shows, examples vs Owen Hart Iron man, vs Ric Flair Iron man, vs Flair late 1992 WWF title matches, vs Bulldogs etc etc..I really would love to know where this started and what are the examples behind it?Regards nate holynski
This isn't something new, as this comment was being made during his peak years.As far as video footage of his house shows is concerned, it's not like people are going to sell tapes of his house show matches that were average or poor. So obviously, most of the house show matches he worked that's doing the rounds amongst tape traders will be his best house show stuff, thus giving you a skewed view of how hard he worked at house shows.I'm not saying he never worked hard, but cases of Bret taking it easy weren't uncommon.