Bellator 289 - Stots vs. Sabatello (Dec. 9th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

World Grand Prix Semi-Finals, belts on the line...

311774412_10161196493904879_5948688316839077699_n.jpg.66e269e3002f7848722aff40ee3ea995.jpg

Raufeon Stots vs. Danny Sabatello - Grand Prix Semi-Final/Interim Bantamweight Title

Liz Carmouche vs. Juliana Velasquez - Flyweight World Title

Patchy Mix vs. Magomed Magomedov - Grand Prix Semi-Final

Dalton Rosta vs. Anthony Adams

Prelims:

Cody Law vs. Chris Lencioni

Mark Lemminger vs. Michael Lombardo

Cass Bell vs. Jared Scoggins

Kevin Boehm vs. Kai Kamaka III

Randi Field vs. Kristina Katsikis

Pat Downey vs. Christian Echols

Kyle Crutchmer vs. Jaleel Willis

Denise Kielholtz vs. Ilara Joanne

That's how it pans out, bout order on the prelims will be wrong.

This is a solid card, lacks the marquee names to generate that casual interest but there's good stuff here. Stots/Sabatello is a full blown Bellator made feud. The smack talk isn't going to be to everyone's liking but it's getting some attention. I'd love to see Sabatello win this. He's not an overly exciting figher but his personality makes up for it, I just want him to keep the ball rolling. That said, I could see Stots avoiding the takedowns and maybe winning this on the feet.

I think it's easy to forget Liz fucking Carmouche is a World Champion in 2022, but she is and she rematches the woman she beat for the belt. I never saw the first fight but apparently Velasquez was winning until she was on the receiving end of an early stoppage. 

Pat Downey back on the prelims too. Basically the Bellator Bo Nickal, worth tuning in for him.

So yeah...

3a21f52b5d705c9f47a52d27d059a087.thumb.png.18328a79c1ebb1bd06a7ab0b8f255355.png

I love both Stots and Sabatello, I don't know who I am rooting for. I just hope for a competitive fight where they both come out the other end looking like stars.

I listened to them both on the Ariel Helwani show earlier today and Sabatello cracks me up, I chucked to myself quite a few times, he is playing a character but it's brilliant.

I'll be tuning in for the last 3 fights, it's unlikely that I will watch any of the other fights.

• Paid Members

Word to Bo Nickal. A top level wrestling pedigree doesn't guarantee success in MMA.

Pat Downey entered a 1/16 favourite last night and got absolutely rinsed. For a minute he looked a monster, once Echols survived the initial ground exchange and got to the feet, he was done. Bellator has a habit of their prospects getting starched early on.

Yet to see the main card...

I watched a few of the fights this morning.

The main event was hard to call, two very talented guys sticking to their game plan., Sabatello dominated in the wrestling but he didn't really do much damage when he took him to the ground, Stots didn't even look like he had been in a fight by the end of it. I think the result was fair but it could have gone either way. One judge had it 50-45 for Sabatello which is crazy to think that that some one can win all 5 rounds on a score card yet end up as the loser.

Patchy Mix looked really good, I haven't seen a lot of him before so I wasn't too familiar with him. He has a great record like the other 2 guys in the main event. Him vs Stots should be pretty even. The Bantamweight division in Bellator like the UFC is pretty strong.