TV & 50/50 Booking

TheLowdown1987

Could we ever see a time when enhancement talent are brought in to quell the 50/50 booking we are seeing so regularly now?

Wouldn't it be better to see Reigns take on Ryder or just a local buffoon rather than Sheamus when you want them to have a blow off match at the PPV? I understand ratings and TV have a lot to do with the big names facing the big names every week but surely that is killing the product. Wouldn't it be better suited if they came up with more gimmick interview segments to build rather than match after match, which we know will be good as 90% of the roster are good athletes?

The concept of two guys facing each other 4 times on TV and then expected to be excited by the same match on a PPV 'because it has a different name to Raw' is old now.

• Paid Members

I don't see it happening but I mentioned a while ago that I think it should. Never more than once or twice on any particular show and always using talent who are either in developmental or have the potential to be.

Although if we're honest, there are a billion things they could do each week to avoid it without resorting to squashes. Comedy skits, on location videos, on the road diaries, training vignettes, mini documentaries, interviews, etc. All the stuff they've done down the years to good effect.

There are plenty of ways to avoid the 50/50 booking a repeat matches I think. Using some enhancement talent is a good way, although I actually think that Job matches are played out a little. Why would Reigns want to continually fight Ryders? It could be for tune up matches, build up new wrestlers and re-ignite people who have lost steam for sure but other things need to be done too.

Rick has given the best examples in my opinion. if that interferes with international markets, then either sub the dialogue or tape a bucket load of insignificant matches and use them on occasion, do one money losing taping with the big set in a normal house show only market and drip feed the results in.

Other stuff that could be done is perhaps more (yes I said more) tag matches, but instead of all 4 or 6 being top guys bring in younger or lower card guys to take the fall. If you brought in lower card or new guys you can always have the announcers explain it as the youngun wants to gain experience and learn. Make the loss look like it's just their age and experience.

NXT guest matches on occasion and just not using everybody each week would work too, if they are not building up to the next PPV taking someone off for a week or so is better than having them lose because they are not important this month I think. 

Archived