Is Vince out of touch?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

The thing is as well, nobody ever seems to really have any ideas on how to feasibly move it forward to a new relevant fad period anyway. People used to do the "less talking, more workrate" moan. They've done that now, and it's utter shit that makes the show more boring than ever and the characters less over. There's the "bring back the attitude era" moan, which is pointless because everyone was sick of that in 2002-2007 anyway. And there's the "copy NXT" moan, which is irrelevant as fuck to a three hour show chasing ratings every week and pushing big events every four.

At least in 1996 or so, you could look at ECW and imagine that the WWF showing loads of tit and blood and swearing would be attention-getting. There's nothing like that now.

Very good post. And I say that as someone who's been through similar phases when I thought wrestling should be like Superstars & Challenge were in 1990, etc.

I'd hate to see them go down the reality TV route, I think that's the absolute definition of latching on to a horse after it's bolted. And it's shit.

If I was in charge, I'd be looking at the popularity of superhero movies at the moment. I don't mean by creating superhero characters but by establishing unique characters with a well defined, well told back-story and putting as much work into both villains and heroes. Why am I a wrestler? Where did it come from? What skills do I have? What is my motivation? Why am I a slimy bastard? Why do I love slapping hands with kids?

I'd consider each PPV the end of a movie and write TV that builds to that conclusion. Even if the conclusion is - come back and watch the sequel.

Without changing direction at all, they could do things to freshen up the product. Using relevant music. Using the incredible tools they have to tell stories and characters away from the ring. Differentiate Raw, Smackdown and PPV's visually. What about putting the screen in a corner for Smackdown so the aisle is diagonal? Something to make it different. Funny how different visuals play with the mind of the viewer.

Here's an idea that would be difficult to implement but given their expertise, is very possible. What about taping Raw for 2 hours, live, on Mondays. Then cutting pre-recorded videos, skits and interviews into the TV version so that the show extends to 3 hours. The live crowd wouldn't suffer burnout and they could send the two hour version around the world. The downside is that the main event would air an hour after it's taped. Alternatively, keep the crowd into things with short squash matches and cut away on the TV version to pre-recorded stuff.

Nothing they've done this year has been as good as that Reigns/Lesnar sit-down. I can't believe anyone in WWE cannot see that.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived