Cheapest place to live outside London?

Zookmaster

A property in the same postcode as Crossrail might be a good shout if you get in now. Burnham, Maidenhead, Taplow, Langley and Slough will jump 60 per cent in value, with prices expected to increase by up to £160,000 in the next four years apparently.

Langley is alright and is probably the cheapest place apart from central Slough (where you really don't want to live). Half an hour into London Paddington currently by train and a much shorter and easier journey into central London once Crossrail comes in.

Came in to say Stevenage but PunkStep beat me to it. Cheap as you're going to get in Hertfordshire and not actually that disgraceful to live in if you do your research.

If you are willing to live in horrible Stevenage then you may as well look at Hatfield. It's also very cheap by Herts standards but it's a bit less of a concrete chavfest than Stevenage and it's even closer to London (15 mins from King's Cross).

I live in Hatfield and have to disagree, I think it's much worse than Stevenage. Just as ugly but infinitely more dull. It seems to me like Stevenage if they replaced their dire nightlife with a nonexistent one, and the most embarrassing town centre I've ever seen. At least it's adjacent to St. Albans, though.

I live in Welwyn Garden City, so in between Hatfield and Stevenage. I did Uni in Hatfield and I support Stevenage Boro football club so I've spent plenty of time in each town and both are horrid.

Stevenage certainly has a better town centre if we are talking about shopping, but it's a town centre full of total scumbags so it's best avoided. If you live in Hatfield you are a super short bus away from both WGC and St Albans, both are which are pretty nice. You also have Old Hatfield and the Hatfield House grounds and gardens, both really nice places. You can live in Hatfield and never have to go to the shitty town centre at all. The Galleria has the only shops worth going to, plus a cinema and loads of restaurants.

--

To answer Johnnyboy - yes, half of the town centre shops are closed in Hatfield, i believe the plan is to knock most of it down and start again.

Depends where in Stevenage, really, though obviously that can be said for most places. The Old Town, for example, is very nice.

The thing that gets on my tits about Hatfield is how dysfunctional it is for a town, especially one with a university. The whole place is shut down by midnight, and there's absolutely nothing to do even in daytime. At least Stevenage has the Leisure Park, albeit it seems to host a riot every bloody week.

Fellow Stevenage F.C. fan, by the way. Without intending to go too far off-topic - weird that we've gone a good few weeks without losing, isn't it?

I live in Hatfield and have to disagree, I think it's much worse than Stevenage. Just as ugly but infinitely more dull. It seems to me like Stevenage if they replaced their dire nightlife with a nonexistent one, and the most embarrassing town centre I've ever seen. At least it's adjacent to St. Albans, though.

Does Hatfield town centre still have about 75% of the shops boarded up?

Oh yeah. I remember when Babyshambles played the Forum, and one of the members maintained a tour blog. He summed it up rather well.

After wandering round the college grounds a little I decided to grab my bike and see what I could find. Turns out not much. My progress was hampered by the first real day of autumnal weather, and I struggled through wind and rain to negotiate the roads and roundabouts around what googlemaps insisted was 'town centre'. All I could find was an Asda with a small parade of shops behind it. When I asked a lady in one of these shops where the town centre was, she replied "this is the town centre".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/drew-mcconnell/babyshambles_b_4116217.html

I'd sooner be in a town with not much happening than a town with lots of horrible stuff happening. The Stevenage leisure park area has always been a great place to go to get into a fight. No thanks. Outside of heading to the football stadium I avoid Stevenage at all costs. Fat, single chav mums by the hundred, just roaming around smoking fags. 

I enjoy unbeaten football runs for as long as they last, without building up too much hope. Been burned too many times !!

• Paid Members

Borehamwood, might be an option. It is classed as zone 6 so you can use an oyster card at the Elstree & borehamwood rail. So while it is more expensive than Hatfield or Stevenage it is a lot closer to London and you can save on travel

Archived