The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

They haven't got the cap space at the moment. Lebron mentioned he wanted to play at least one season with Melo, CP3 and Wade. I can't see it happening until most of them are playing for the vets minimum, so at least another 3 years or so. 

Let's get one thing clear, there is more chance of hell freezing over than Lebron James signing for the Dallas Mavericks. Far too small a market, no emotional ties to the team, playing in a packed Western Conference? Not happening, not in a million years. The Mavs couldn't even sign Deandre Jordan! Their stuck in mediocrity for the long forseeable, well at least until after Dirk is finished. 

in all honesty, the only way Lebron will leave this Summer is actually the opposite to what you've just said. If they win the title. He promised to bring a title to Cleveland. He's not going anywhere. 

Kevin Love on the other hand, will most likely be traded if the Cavs fail to win. He's been nothing more than a stat sheet padder. He's offered no defence and for large periods has done nothing more than be a spot up shooter. The Cavs can pay Channing Frye to do that for a lot loss dollar. Kyrie Irving is a little different in the fact that everyone knows he can't play defense, but on the other hand he's doing little for the actual team, bar pad his own stats again. 

This offseason will be quiet. Durant will stay at OKC, the Bulls are far more likely to trade Butler (he constantly undermines the coach) and Rose although will never reach the heights pre injury, he's still useful.

The main ones to look out for are Derozan (looks Lakers bound) Al Horford (would be a great pick up for any team), Hassan Whiteside (most likely stays at the Heat and gets PAID), Mike Conley (looks Knicks bound), Dwight Howard (who even wants him now? Rumours of a return to Orlando Magic) and Andre Drummond (looks locked to re-sign with Detroit)

Mark Cuban has millions to throw around for the Mavericks, they offer Bron max money (he has free agency options in post season) he's going there plus with the salary cap level increased for the forthcoming season it means teams will load up with talented players. Before you could have at least two top high salaried players (remember LBJ, Wade and Bosh took less to team up together) and the rest of the roster was made up with role players. Not saying it's gonna happen, just that it's a possibility. I still think if the Cavs fail he's walking but hopefully I'll be proved wrong as that's the ultimate redemption story.

Love could move, Lakers would be a good destination. They have huge cap space available now they've off loaded Kobe from their wage bill. I see two, even three top free agents going there. I still think post season will be hectic because of the fact every teams salary cap space is being raised. Teams like the Mavs, Lakers et AL won't have to pay luxury tax now or at least as much as they were. Same with the Premier League the teams will throw millions of pounds around to load up with more better players because of the new TV deal.

Also you have the lottery of the draft and a team like LA might get a great draft pick and if they complement them with a good support cast who knows how well they could do. No one and even the NBA analysts would have 5 years ago called the success of the Warriors. They have been a revelation and are now the team to beat in the NBA. 73 wins is a new record and I don't see anyone eclipsing that for a long time.

Going to your other point a dream team of CP3, Melo, Bron, Wade is a possibility if they all take a lower salary. It's something the big 3 of the Heat did. Plus with a new salary cap in place and I reference it again because it's a big important factor it opens up that possibility of creating super teams if you will. Plus somebody like Cuban would pay the luxury tax to put that assembly of talent together. That was the point I was making with Bron, they offer him assurances, anything is possible. Staying in the East makes most sense statistically but what if suddenly the Bulls load up their talent, the Raptors, Pacers, 76ers since Will and Jada own it now, Knicks et AL it won't be a cakewalk for the Cavaliers then. But a heavily talent laden team, and yea it might not be Dallas but might be the Lakers, T Wolves or a team lower ranked right now who could be a powerhouse. But again I could be wrong and Bron stays and they recruit some free agents and make some moves so he has a new supporting cast. But again unless you find a way to defend the 3 point line and their offense the Warriors are still #1 right now and have every chance of a 3peat and more because of their superior shooting of the ball. Plus you add a big name free agent or they make some trades to strengthen further we could see a 5, even 10 year plus dynasty.

An absolutely atrocious performance by the Cavs last night. Kyrie, JR and Love combine for 20 points...really?

Lebron played well but looked tired and completely overwhelmed at times. Plus, Love exited with a concussion so will he play game 3?

They also made the mistake of just allowing Draymond to shoot uncontested 3s over and over. It's not looking good for the Cavs.

More thoughts later. I'm still tired...

An absolutely atrocious performance by the Cavs last night. Kyrie, JR and Love combine for 20 points...really?

Lebron played well but looked tired and completely overwhelmed at times. Plus, Love exited with a concussion so will he play game 3?

They also made the mistake of just allowing Draymond to shoot uncontested 3s over and over. It's not looking good for the Cavs.

More thoughts later. I'm still tired...

Watching now, in 4th quarter (usually stay offline but its game over with 10 to go). Cavs were indeed shocking, they made Barbosa and Bogut look like superstars. The GSW bench is winning these finals so far.

Really hope Cavs win game 3, I want to see a proper finals, but based on first two games a sweep isn't out of the question now.

With all due respect, Lebron is not going to Dallas. They are the 3rd most popular team in terms of reach and support in Texas and the only reason he plays in a small market now is because he's an Akron native. Not to mention that the Cavs have the rights to match any offer made to him and have the advantage over every other team in that they can offer him the extra year. 

The Lakers is a far more sensible shout however. That would be far more likely, but in all honesty if he leaves Cleveland again, it would be more likely to return to South Beach and play with Wade and the Heat again. Especially if Bosh has to retire. Still, like most American pundits, i don't see him walking away this year, not without winning a title which is looking less likely after last night (yikes, that was putrid from the Cavs). They'll auction off Kevin Love in the Summer, expect a bidding war between Boston and LA for his services. Unfortunately, as much as I like K Love, he doesn't fit in the team ball era we are currently in. Kyrie is young enough to drum it into him, although he really needs to start looking for the pass first.

The Sixers finally look like they might not be quite as much of a joke next season, looks like their getting Jeff Teague to run the point from the Hawks, with Nerlens Noel going the other way. Smart move from Philly, along with grabbing Simmons in the draft and the prospects of Okafor and the future suddenly looks a lot brighter. Throw in some experienced shooters and they could be back in business sooner rather than later.

LeBron is more likely to leave if the Cavs win, as it would be mission accomplished. That could change, as if the Cavs really flop in these finals (which they have so far), it might persuade him to abandon ship. Although, I still can't see it. 

Going forward, I think the Warriors will wrap it up in 5 now. They simply have too much depth. 

I also don't see any chance at all that Bron goes to Dallas.

Going back to the game last night...surely if Cleveland lose the next game then it's a sweep? And if they lose in 4 or 5, I don't think I see LeBron bolting but rather the entire team is decimated. Love will be traded, Kyrie too. If he leaves now, it would do too much damage to his brand. But then, I guess you could argue that being in Cleveland and being surrounded by a shitshow does damage to his brand as well - especially getting swept by the Warriors.

I'm really excited about my Knicks next season. I know we're not going to contend, but I think that our new coach will really help Porzingis blossom. I hope Melo sticks around and we can grab Mike Conley and maybe a couple of other pieces in the summer.

Any thoughts on Ricky Rubio's latest comments?

Minnesota Timberwolves point guard Ricky Rubio is hoping the new era under Tom Thibodeau brings changes and a much-expected ticket to the NBA playoffs.

In an interview with Catalunya Radio from Spain, Rubio said that next season could be his last one with the Timberwolves if the team doesn't make it to the postseason.

"When I arrived to Minnesota, my hope was to break the seven years' streak without [a] presence in [the] playoffs. I still have that hope, but it's very tough mentally when year after year that goal is not met," Rubio said.

"Next season will be crucial for me. I've been in the NBA for five years, and six years without playoffs would be a long time. At 26, I'd have to start thinking about teams that can get to the playoffs and win in the Finals."

Rubio, who averaged 10.1 points and 8.6 assists in the NBA last season, signed a four-year extension worth $56 million with the Timberwolves that started in 2015.

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/15983213/ricky-rubio-next-season-last-minnesota-timberwolves-team-make-playoffs

With all due respect, Lebron is not going to Dallas. They are the 3rd most popular team in terms of reach and support in Texas and the only reason he plays in a small market now is because he's an Akron native. Not to mention that the Cavs have the rights to match any offer made to him and have the advantage over every other team in that they can offer him the extra year. 

The Lakers is a far more sensible shout however. That would be far more likely, but in all honesty if he leaves Cleveland again, it would be more likely to return to South Beach and play with Wade and the Heat again. Especially if Bosh has to retire. Still, like most American pundits, i don't see him walking away this year, not without winning a title which is looking less likely after last night (yikes, that was putrid from the Cavs). They'll auction off Kevin Love in the Summer, expect a bidding war between Boston and LA for his services. Unfortunately, as much as I like K Love, he doesn't fit in the team ball era we are currently in. Kyrie is young enough to drum it into him, although he really needs to start looking for the pass first.

The Sixers finally look like they might not be quite as much of a joke next season, looks like their getting Jeff Teague to run the point from the Hawks, with Nerlens Noel going the other way. Smart move from Philly, along with grabbing Simmons in the draft and the prospects of Okafor and the future suddenly looks a lot brighter. Throw in some experienced shooters and they could be back in business sooner rather than later.

What is important to remember is that Dallas won the NBA title in 2011, they had a solid team at one point - Tyson Chandler, Jason Terry, Jason Kidd & Dirk of course among others. They have a good coach in Rick Carlisle and a Billionaire owner in Mark Cuban. Right now they are lacking in depth, they are in a similar situation to a latter day Kobe led Lakers team. Again I don't see LeBron wanting to go there but if Cuban makes a power play for him and promises him that he'll bring in some of his buddies - D-Wade et al I think there's a slim chance he could decide to go there (not saying he will and at no point did I say that, just there's a possibility, even that it's 0.1% ;) ). But the West is ultra competitive and no one's going to surpass the Warriors right now, so realistically he's staying East for sure. Will he stay a Cavalier if they get swept though?. Thats the million dollar question there.

LA Lakers could make him their top paid player, they have Luke Walton who did great coaching the Warriors until Steve Kerr came back, plus they are in a huge market, so there's also the whole lure of Hollywood (Bron's lined up to star in Space Jam 2 for example). If they could bring in say a few other top free agents or upper echelon quality players you've got a contender in the West. If the Cavs lose tonight and they do go down 4-0 or say 4-1, then I'd imagine he'd reevaluate his options. Like the Heat, there was a very short termist plan for winning the title. They drafted in veterans as role players and even later on that failed when the Spurs beat the Heat in 2014.

If you believe in superstitions etc there's supposedly a curse on Cleveland's sports teams. The Browns haven't won a title since 1964 and the Cleveland Cavaliers have never won a NBA championship. So if the Cavs turn it around and they win tonight and game 5 & 6 and take it to a game 7 and win it all, LeBron will be a hero for all Cleveland sports fans. There'd also be a massive backlash if he walks but again, I'd imagine he's looking at Kobe, Michael's & KAJ's rings as like the measuring stick. Maybe if Steph Curry & Klay Thompson stick together and the Warriors dynasty continues can Bill Russell's record of 11 rings be surpassed, but it's unlikely although Steph is 28, Klay is 26 so maybe realistically they look at Mike's record of 6 rings as the measuring stick as I've said of greatness in today's NBA. If Bron does leave he leaves Cleveland in bad state, they had some good young players they could have built a team around in the future - Wiggins & Waiters. Now if James does stay, do they trade Love and bring in a better big man, do they trade Kyrie too and bring in a better PG?. Say they trade for CP3 and Blake (not very likely, but a what if scenario) does it cement Cleveland as #1 in the East and realistically how would they line up against the Warriors then?. Even if you put an all-star calibre East team against GSW I think they'd still grind out a win. Why? because they are playing superior level B-Ball at the moment. Plus there's things like sharing the ball and I can't imagine CP3 and Bron sharing shots. Right now K-Love seems to get in the way almost, his role is to clean up with rebounds and defend, but again he can be a good shooter. So which role should he realistically have. Kyrie and Bron don't reallly co-exist together either. You need really a fast PG who doesn't care about their shooting percentage, just their passing and assists who can get the ball to LeBron. Yet if he's double teamed by a good defensive duo then where do the shoots come from?. Thats Cleveland's problem right now, defending and shot selection. Not just the shots themselves too, the actual players shooting the ball.

The 76ers might make some big moves in the Summer, these names are rumored apparently: Blake Griffin, Jimmy Butler, Derrick Rose, Kenneth Faried, and Paul George. Nerlens Noel & Jahlil Okafor are on the trading block, so what they can bring in return will be interesting. They have to go into rebuild mode like Boston did when KG, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Rondo et al left.

As for Ricky Rubio, I think he's staying for the forthcoming season, unless a team comes in for him and the T-Wolves get a good younger player or player(s) or some high level draft picks in return. Again I think he'd be a good addition for the Lakers. Brandon Ingram if they get him as #2 draft pick is somebody that they can bring in some veterans and build a team around but they might want to throw some big bucks around and try and build a team for short term success. Although until you find a way to beat the Warriors, I think long term trying to build a team that has longetivity would be much wiser. Also it took time for the GSW to fire on all cylinders.

Also in KD news

Wizards, Heat, Celtics, Rockets, Knicks, Lakers, Spurs and, yes, Warriors ... all expected to pursue Kevin Durant in free agency this summer

Credit: Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine

I wouldn't be too disappointed if I was a Wolves fan regarding Rubio. He's not even a top 15 PG, he had tremendous potential and at times looked like the second coming of Pistol Pete Maravich with his passing but.... he can't shoot can he? He doesn't get his points. He's actually regressed. If the Wolves can get something useful in return, I'd let him go. 

I think it would be a disaster if the NBA sanctioned a kD move to the Warriors, a lot of casuals would probably turn off. I still think he'll stay in OKC though. At least until he knows what Russ is doing next summer.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if I was a Wolves fan regarding Rubio. He's not even a top 15 PG, he had tremendous potential and at times looked like the second coming of Pistol Pete Maravich with his passing but.... he can't shoot can he? He doesn't get his points. He's actually regressed. If the Wolves can get something useful in return, I'd let him go. 

I think it would be a disaster if the NBA sanctioned a kD move to the Warriors, a lot of casuals would probably turn off. I still think he'll stay in OKC though. At least until he knows what Russ is doing next summer.

This is also the best T-Wolves team that Rubio has been a part of. I see Thibbs recruiting Joakim Noah to the team over the summer too. Man, they're going to be great to watch next season!

KD to the Warriors would indeed be awful. I want to see him head East, but I reckon he'll re-sign with OKC for a year first.

Yeah, Indy have the right to match any sheet offer. Which they absolutely will.

Any chance the Knicks make a move for Biyombo? I like Robin Lopez, but Biyombo would be a considerable upgrade. He's just opted out of Toronto, but journos have been saying he's looking for close to max contract. Which he won't get just for a bunch of rebounds in the playoffs, but i do like his energy,

Yeah, Indy have the right to match any sheet offer. Which they absolutely will.

Any chance the Knicks make a move for Biyombo? I like Robin Lopez, but Biyombo would be a considerable upgrade. He's just opted out of Toronto, but journos have been saying he's looking for close to max contract. Which he won't get just for a bunch of rebounds in the playoffs, but i do like his energy,

I don't know if I'd want to see that. We already have our frontcourt set and if he was brought in with a hefty contract, surely he'd need to start? I don't think it's the smartest decision, but knowing the Knicks he'll get overpaid.