The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

• Paid Members

Jeez... There's no way I would pay that kinda money to watch the Knicks  :thumbsup:. They have to be one of the worst teams in the entire organization. That is dedicated support! Aside from Melo and Hardaway JR, there's no one on that roster I'd pay to watch. Watching Amar'e these days is hard to swallow, father time is undefeated though. Still, next year, when the contracts come off the books, I'm certain you'll go back into the top 4 seeds in the East. Who do you want to see signed next Summer? A point guard is a must surely? Does Bargnani's contract end too?

The league is missing KD big time. I can't wait to see him back with Russ and watch the Thunder start mowing down teams again.

Ant Davis is the real deal, pretty much took on the Spurs single handed last night, with a bit of help from Jrue too to be fair.

Expect this man to receive STATs money

file_170879_0_111Gasol.jpg

Pistons are a funny one. They have one of the best front courts in the entire league, but they don't seem to know what to do with them. Greg Monroe will leave at the end of the season, which is a damn shame for them because the guy is going to be a superstar for sure, I expect either the Knicks, Celtics or Lakers will make big plays for him. Pistons also made some good signings in Butler and Meeks (when healthy), my main problems with the Pistons are what the entire league has a problem with them for. Number 1 is J Smoove insisting on shooting 3's being such a huge part of his game. He can't shoot the 3 consistently so why bother? Added to the fact that he used to be a spectacular player inside the paint makes it all the more baffling. Their main problem is their saddled with Brandon Jennings as a point guard. I've vented over Jennings several times in the past year in this thread. I can play the point better than he can. His decision making is terrible and he shoots WAAAAAY too much. He doesn't get his team involved, he just a cancerous presence on the basketball court. He'd be fine as a microwave type player from the bench playing the two, but he's stupidly overpaid, a contract he doesn't have a hope in getting again in the future, one he got on the merit basically because he scored 50 odd points for the Bucks a couple of times. Easily in the bottom 5 worst starting points in the league. 

Yeah, Bargs will be coming off the books. I don't think they'll re-sign Shump either. Stat will be gone too. Not sure when JR's contract comes off the books either, but I'm sure he'll also be gone.

It's a waiting game just now, but I'm expecting big moves in the off-season. I'd be thrilled with the team at least making the playoffs this season, but I'm also remaining realistic. Brooklyn looks like the better NY team right now and you can never count out the Hawks for the playoffs either. Unfortunately, the Knicks may end up hitting that 9th spot this time around.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a really fun season so far in that there has been more storylines this year than usual for around this time. What with the Thunder having to play like a 1 seed the rest of the season just to make the 8 seed. Memphis finally clicking and the Cavs refusing to actually defend. Plus Anthony Davis destroying every stat he can and playing at a level which may actually get the Pelicans into the playoffs, Which if happens will guarantee him the MVP as the Pelicans are awful.

The only not fun thing is watching an all East matchup which doesn't feature Lebron. The level of quality is shit, like Scottish football shit. Like Danny Dyer movies shit... You get the idea. It's laughable watching teams not actually running plays and instead taking 20seconds off the shot clock and jacking up long twos. It's as if they are trying to lose, which they are. There are about 7 East teams who really don't want to win games, yet the problem is one of them is likely to get to 38 wins and make the playoffs just because the conference sucks so much. (The 8th seed in the East would much rather be out of the playoffs for the lottery pick than in them only to get swept in round 1.)

If no one has read it yet, definitely go check out Zach Lowe's article on grantland about the disparity between the two conferences. It's a good read which explains pretty much everything to do with how shit the east is.

Anyway, besides that it's been an enjoyable season and should only get better really. I'm not missing a Mavs, Warriors or Cavs game if I can help it. Mavericks and Warriors are the most fun teams in the league so far and definitely worth checking out, the Cavs are worth it because watching Lebron is still like nothing else in the league. Oh and for different reasons I'm never missing a Lakers game because seeing Kobe shoot 35 times a game is hilarious, plus Byron Scott is insane and genuinely gets upsets when his team goes for a corner three.

One thing I've been genuinely surprised about is the Hornets and how shit they've been. They seemingly made good moves in the Summer, Noah Vonleh will be a decent contributor in the league for years and Lance Stephenson is well.. Lance. He's had a horror show hasn't he? He's up on the trade block already. Not sure who you'd move for if you're Charlotte though. The most worrying thing for them is that they've lost a lot of games to other Eastern Conference sides. 

Agreed on the Cavs and Warriors for entertainment value, both great to watch. I refuse to watch the Mavs though, Mark Cuban is a fucking prick and I genuinely hate his team because of my hatred of him. Dirk is Dirk. I see them on NBA Tonight but I'd never go out of my way to watch one of their games.

I'm praying the Thunder make the Playoffs as it would leave an unfair representation of the West. Also, they'd be the greatest 8th seed of all time and I really wouldn't put it past them bumping the top seed out. Still, long way off, hoping for D Rose to stay healthy and for a Cavs Bulls Eastern final.

• 1 month later...

So last night, Klay Thompson made NBA history by scoring 37 in the third quarter. Most points ever scored in a single quarter! I watched the game this morning. That was something to behold!

Also, the Cavs are FINALLY looking scary since the recent trades and the fact that LeBron is now healthy.

FInally - how 'bout them Hawks?!

I used to be a big basketball guy when I was younger but sort of drifted out of watching.

For some reason at the start of the season I season linked it on BT Sport and I can't get enough! I've even got tickets for Brooklyn/Toronto in April!

Catching up on what I've missed this week, and Kyle Korver is crazy accurate.

I used to be a big basketball guy when I was younger but sort of drifted out of watching.

For some reason at the start of the season I season linked it on BT Sport and I can't get enough! I've even got tickets for Brooklyn/Toronto in April!

Catching up on what I've missed this week, and Kyle Korver is crazy accurate.

Toronto home game? That will be NUTS! They've got a great crowd.

Yeah, Korver is insane. He doesn't get the respect he deserves at all. There's games where he just can't miss. It's mental to think that we could potentially see Hawks/Warriors in the NBA Finals, with the way things are going just now. Both teams are showing no signs of slowing down, although the Western Conference is a bloodbath and the East is hotting up too. LeBron and the Cavs are finally starting to look like the team they should have been.

It's at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. It should be fun, though.

I've not really seen much of the Nets, but I've seen a few Raptors games this season and I like them a lot.

Historically, I've always been on Team Magic but I haven't really aligned myself to a team on this go-round. As a kid, it was easy, you just pick the nicest jersey. But, the jerseys all seem shite these days!

It's at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. It should be fun, though.

I've not really seen much of the Nets, but I've seen a few Raptors games this season and I like them a lot.

Historically, I've always been on Team Magic but I haven't really aligned myself to a team on this go-round. As a kid, it was easy, you just pick the nicest jersey. But, the jerseys all seem shite these days!

Haha, I actually really like a lot of the jerseys now. Toronto's old school alternate jerseys that they've been wearing this season are brilliant!

lowry_kyle.jpg

I also really like the Trailblazers' alternate 'Rip City' jerseys...

damian%20lillard%20and%20this%20blazers%

Portland and the Wizards have the strongest Jersey game, I think.

Washington's always look sharp.

I've got the house myself today, so going to catch up with the week. The one thing I'd say is, about 5/6 years ago (maybe a little longer) I tried dipping my toe into the basketball pond, and the league was somewhat inaccessible; there wasn't much emphasis on passing and moving the basketball, it was overly smash mouth and their seemed to be fouls given every 3 seconds. This season, moving the basketball seems to be back in fashion, the defensive play seems more measured and strategic and the refs seem to be less eager.

It's much closer to the flowing basketball I remember watching as a kid.

Portland and the Wizards have the strongest Jersey game, I think.

Washington's always look sharp.

I've got the house myself today, so going to catch up with the week. The one thing I'd say is, about 5/6 years ago (maybe a little longer) I tried dipping my toe into the basketball pond, and the league was somewhat inaccessible; there wasn't much emphasis on passing and moving the basketball, it was overly smash mouth and their seemed to be fouls given every 3 seconds. This season, moving the basketball seems to be back in fashion, the defensive play seems more measured and strategic and the refs seem to be less eager.

It's much closer to the flowing basketball I remember watching as a kid.

Yep. Team basketball is back. Most teams realise now that it's the way to win. Some of the play you see in the league today is beautiful. Watching teams like the Spurs, Hawks, Warriors etc is a joy.

I actually think that basketball is the most accessible of all US sports. The game is free-flowing and exciting. I still enjoy watching some smash-mouth style, but a good team and sharing-based offensive system is where it's at.

Speaking of uniforms, I think that the Charlotte Hornets jersey game is on point. Their court is amazing too!

Also, check out the latest episode of the Grantland Basketball Hour. It's great stuff: https://vid.me/Tyzn