Fav/Best Arcade game machine games!

goldeneye86

As title says... Fav or best arcade game machine games?? what's your fav you have played or seen??

I remember playing the likes of NBA Jam, WWF Wrestlemania & Street fighter in a local video rental shop back in my youth.

Please share your thoughts/memories :-)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit: more added plus pictures

Growing up in the 80's and spending many a weekend in different bowling alleys meant I spent more than normal amounts of time on arcade machines. The old question 'can I have 20p' must have drove my parents crazy at times!

Personal favourites include (and this is a very small list):

Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition. A real coin eater for me, best played with a group of friends with the 'winner stays on' rule. Good memories of school trips to Camelot theme park and spending the whole day in the arcade playing this with others rather than going on the rides

1178079880.jpg

Daytona USA. Looked amazing in its time and especially good if it was linked machines, most I think I saw was an 8 player version. And who can forget the main theme music!

daycabinet.jpg

Sega Rally. One of my favourite racing games of all time and all Sega arcade racers were great, this one especially

segarallytwin.jpg

R-Type. Side scrolling shooting at its very best. Fucking difficult too from what I remember

rtype.png

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles & The Simpsons. The 4 player versions of these were a blast and were really fun games to play

1181242182141.jpg

Simpsons-Arcade-Game-Cabinet.gif

Mortal Kombat 1 & 2. Nothing more satisfying than beating your mates with a fatality move

1181242138187.jpg

historyofvgc_screen009.jpg

WWF Wrestlefest. Still one of my all time favourite wrestling games. Gorgeous visuals and still plays really well today, I've probably played this more on my MAME cabinet than any other game

1181242185159.jpg

Alien 3 The Gun. Arcade shooters were always fun and this one was awesome, the rumble feedback from the gun itself was probably the most fierce from any I remember playing

arcade01.jpg

Dragons Lair. The gameplay itself was wank but to watch someone who knew the sequence to beat the game was fun to watch. Plus the Don Bluth laserdisc games looked fucking awesome in an arcade

15417.jpg

Donkey Kong. Simple but brilliant fun, always good to see your initials on the high score table

new-dk.jpg

Bubble Bobble. Another timeless classic and the music gets stuck in your head so easily

bubblebobble.JPG

Track And Field. Button mashing at its finest. Last event however (high jump) is still a cunt!

track_and_field_f.jpg

Final Fight. Great side scrolling beat-em-up. Had Andre The Giant look a like enemies too. Also if you didnt play as Haggar you were a pussy

final-fight-cab-tx.gif

Splatterhouse. The first arcade game I can remember that had gore in it, the game wasnt particularly great but it was memorable

118124217232.jpg

For me, an arcade isnt complete without some pinball tables too. Favourites of these are:

Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Funhouse and of the more recent ones, Family Guy

Power Drift, Operation Wolf, Toki, WrestleFest and Street Fighter 2 were some of my favourites as a kid. Much pocket money was spent on those.

Edit : Turtles arcade, Final Fight, Windjammers and Fatal Fury 2. Forgot those, they were some holiday greats.

Growing up in the 80's and spending many a weekend in different bowling alleys meant I spent more than normal amounts of time on arcade machines. The old question 'can I have 20p' must have drove my parents crazy at times!

Personal favourites include (and this is a very small list):

Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition. A real coin eater for me, best played with a group of friends with the 'winner stays on' rule. Good memories of school trips to Camelot theme park and spending the whole day in the arcade playing this with others rather than going on the rides

Daytona USA. Looked amazing in its time and especially good if it was linked machines, most I think I saw was an 8 player version. And who can forget the main theme music!

Sega Rally. One of my favourite racing games of all time and all Sega arcade racers were great, this one especially

R-Type 2. Side scrolling shooting at its very best. Fucking difficult too from what I remember

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles & The Simpsons. The 4 player versions of these were a blast and were really fun games to play

Mortal Kombat 1 & 2. Nothing more satisfying than beating your mates with a fatality move

WWF Wrestlefest. Still one of my all time favourite wrestling games. Gorgeous visuals and still plays really well today, I've probably played this more on my MAME cabinet than any other game

Alien 3 The Gun. Arcade shooters were always fun and this one was awesome, the rumble feedback from the gun itself was probably the most fierce from any I remember playing

Dragons Lair. The gameplay itself was wank but to watch someone who knew the sequence to beat the game was fun to watch. Plus the Don Bluth laserdisc games looked fucking awesome in an arcade

Donkey Kong. Simple but brilliant fun, always good to see your initials on the high score table

For me, an arcade isnt complete without some pinball tables too. Favourites of these are:

Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Funhouse and of the more recent ones, Family Guy

some of those ones mentioned are classics!! Also thinking of it i use to enjoy time crisis and a game called dynamite cop both were a warner bros cinema complex. there was also a star wars game but can't think of the name of it??

some of those ones mentioned are classics!! Also thinking of it i use to enjoy time crisis and a game called dynamite cop both were a warner bros cinema complex. there was also a star wars game but can't think of the name of it??

Star Wars : Arcade I think is the one you're thinking of.

A thing of beauty

Cabinet-White-top.jpg

Basic as it sounds that must be it!! it was so amazing!!

There was a boxing game were rather than the traditional joystick and buttons, it had two cups (for lack of a better term) which you pushed forwards to act as your boxers punches.

Can't for the life of me think what it was called. It was sort of a non cartooney version of Super Punch Out

There was a boxing game were rather than the traditional joystick and buttons, it had two cups (for lack of a better term) which you pushed forwards to act as your boxers punches.

Can't for the life of me think what it was called. It was sort of a non cartooney version of Super Punch Out

Was it this? The machine was called Title Fight, I remember playing it on holiday resort, I'm thinking Lanzarote in 1994.

1181242183140.jpg

Was it this? The machine was called Title Fight, I remember playing it on holiday resort, I'm thinking Lanzarote in 1994.

1181242183140.jpg

That's the one

There used to be an Operation Wolf in the laundrette where my mum would take us occasionally years ago. I'm not sure I ever got to play it.

The original Sega Rally is brilliant. Street Fighter as well, the fact you can still find that in arcades is a testament to its pure playability and longevity.

Archived