RevPro Presents: CHRISTMAS CRACKER 2012, 2/12/12, Sittingbourne

Andy

Mastiff and Becks match was probably more memorable for Karsten Beck's classic heel antics and Mastiffs hilarious mocking of him rather than what actually happened in the ring. I enjoyed Beck, thought he was good fun, but he was just a stepping stone for Mastiff to move onto his impending match with Walter.

MK didn't really get a chance to show much of his talent as the match with Spud ended up being more of a vehicle for T-Bone to split off from his stable mates with Spud and Sha. So far MK hasn't really had a normal 1 on 1 match for the Rev Pro fans, who haven't seen him at his awesome best at FCP, to really see what he can do. Hopefully on the next show he can get someone like Allmark who he can really tear it up with.

Hunters had a good match with Riots but I'm pretty sure both team can and will up the ante in a rematch. Glad to see some good teams like these 2, Hooligans and All Stars available for future tag title matches and rivalries with Ego.

Elgin vs Walter was great, the strength Elgin has to hold up a guy the size of Walter in a vertical suplex and then hit him with the dead lift suplex is absolutely insane. A real spectacle and really builds up Walter for Mastiff on the next show, that will be a beast of match.

The D.Q ending of the Sha/ T-Bone title defence was very cheap and although you understand that is the type of heel Sha is, I've enjoyed Sha's matches against Lion Kid, Marty and Mastiff as although he used dastardly tactics along the way, those ones didn't feel like they were too over the top to completely spoil the match. The finish was really disappointing and with Sha running out of credible challengers I'm not sure what next. Terry Fraizer seemed like a good shout at one point but he just doesn't seem like he has established himself enough to justify getting a shot at the moment.

LDRS vs Ego was fantastic, one of the best tag matches I've seen all year live or on DVD and well worth the wait and the hype. Loved every minute of it, without doubt best match of the weekend which is saving something considering the hatrick of matches Elgin had and MK vs Haskins from the night before at Southside.

Main event was always going to be up against it to top the tag match, but with the 4 guys involved it was always a possibility. This time although it was good, it didn't top the previous tag match. With the screwy endings to the Spud / MK and Sha / T-Bone match I was a little disappointed that in a match with so much ability more shenanigans were on display, with Haskins used a low blow to eliminate Ligero and later Ligero interfered to cost Haskins the match. I still enjoyed the match and although I appreciate it was about setting up Ligs and Haskins moving forward I think that you could have probably worked something out to establish a rivalry in the match without needing to cheapen the match in anyway.

Overall another good Sittingbourne show to finish off what has been generally a really good 12 months, although i think 3 matches ending with non clean finishes was a little too much. Run ins and cheating are always a part of wrestling and a big part of furthering or giving cause for angles but I think it shouldn't be too often as it does spoil the initial match. As mentioned in other posts the crowd and atmosphere isn't as good as it has been, which i find is strange as Rev Pro have continued to put on great shows and bring in the big names. One thing worth mentioning is there any local advertising, when you walk round Sittingbourne you never see any posters up anywhere. I don't pretend to know about promoting but I would of thought that putting up some posters around a town could only help raise awareness and bring some extra interest.

Anyway really looking forward to Marty vs Spud, Mastifff vs Walter and the likely match up between Ligs and Haskins. I'd also love to see Devitt vs Zack Sabre Jnr if he is around and maybe Hooligans vs Hunters, and bring in someone like Moss for Sha.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I am not really too sure how to put my views into words, I don't really like writing big posts on here or anywhere but in short, after over 2 and a half years of going to sittingbourne and only missing one show due to being on holiday, I won't be attending the next show. This show was not bad, but it was not great either, I left it very indifferent and "m'eh". It is not just this show either but I feel with the exception of Summer Sizzler 2012 has been a bit of a flat year on the whole for RPW. With progress now putting on electric shows that have more purpose & direction than RPW currently does and they are a LOT more fun in general I just feel no need to make the travel to kent any more. In short I agree with some of the criticisms in the above posts in relation to the booking and that it is a lot harder to watch and care about this product since progress has started running.

Thank you for a cracking few years & some great memories but I feel completely burnt out on RPW, for now at least.

This is a stance I can somewhat relate to. I note other people mentioning the drop in attendances/atmosphere in their reviews too so, as someone who has also stopped attending regularly, I'll try and explain my own reasons from my own perspective.

I attended every 'main' IPW:UK show from 2006 to 2011 (apart from one October Sittingbourne show, I think), staying loyal to them while they were based in Orpington (2006-2008), Bromley (2008), Swanley (2006-2009) and Sittingbourne (2009-present). However, I reluctantly found myself becoming bored of the product over the course of 2011 and only have only attended a single Sittingbourne event in 2012 (the first one, with the 1-night cruiserweight tournament). I used to go with a group of between 4-6 people, but they too have stopped attending on a regular basis.

Now, I firmly believe that the Sittingbourne/RevPro events feature arguably the best in-ring wrestling product of anywhere in the UK. That is probably still the case to this day. However, when that's all they have, that isn't enough to make every show a 'must see'. Because of this, every show came over as exactly the same. A Sittingbourne show would always end up being 'Import A' vs. Scurll/Haskins/Dar in a one-off exhibition match, 'Import B' vs. Scurll/Haskins/Dar in a one-off exhibition match, a Project Ego tag match and a heavyweight singles match with Samuels/Mastiff/Kincaide. Without exception. All top quality and featuring a who's-who of the very best stand-out talented performers in the UK, there can be absolutely no doubt about that, but it became less important to make sure you were there next time, and didn't matter if you missed an event, since you would just get to see more of exactly the same next time and enjoy it just as much. There isn't that engaging link from show-to-show which makes sure to draw you back next time - the whole thing is (mainly) solely sold on the one-off potential in-ring quality of the matches themselves.

It wasn't that I made a conscious decision to stop coming to Sittingbourne as much. I still made plans to potentially be there but (I even had this past Monday booked off work, due to Sunday's event), when it came to buying tickets and sorting travel/accommodation/etc (bearing in mind I live at the complete other end of the country, and getting to Sittingbourne isn't a minor plan), the motivation just wasn't there and I started putting other 'real life' things ahead of it instead. It's not that I won't be back at some point and I'm really looking forward to heading all the way back down there at some point in 2013, but just recently I haven't been as bothered.

While I cannot stress the in-ring quality of the Sittingbourne shows enough, I can certainly see why the point made above about just going to THIS IS PROGRESS instead is a valid one. How many of the regular Sittingbourne audience are actually, you know, from Sittingbourne? Not many, I'd reckon. Given that, and that S-town itself is a bit of a trek to get to (nearly a further hour past London, by road or rail), I don't blame people for turning to something more convenient for them, especially due to the reasons I've described above about each show not making the next seem special. From my own perspective, instead of travelling 5 hours to Sittingbourne, I could travel less than 3 and still see US indy imports at PCW, SWE, FCP etc.

Like I say, I do enjoy the 'RevPro' product and rank it highly; I'm just giving some insight into my own reasons for not making the effort this year.

I am not really too sure how to put my views into words, I don't really like writing big posts on here or anywhere but in short, after over 2 and a half years of going to sittingbourne and only missing one show due to being on holiday, I won't be attending the next show. This show was not bad, but it was not great either, I left it very indifferent and "m'eh". It is not just this show either but I feel with the exception of Summer Sizzler 2012 has been a bit of a flat year on the whole for RPW. With progress now putting on electric shows that have more purpose & direction than RPW currently does and they are a LOT more fun in general I just feel no need to make the travel to kent any more. In short I agree with some of the criticisms in the above posts in relation to the booking and that it is a lot harder to watch and care about this product since progress has started running.

Thank you for a cracking few years & some great memories but I feel completely burnt out on RPW, for now at least.

This is a stance I can somewhat relate to. I note other people mentioning the drop in attendances/atmosphere in their reviews too so, as someone who has also stopped attending regularly, I'll try and explain my own reasons from my own perspective.

I attended every 'main' IPW:UK show from 2006 to 2011 (apart from one October Sittingbourne show, I think), staying loyal to them while they were based in Orpington (2006-2008), Bromley (2008), Swanley (2006-2009) and Sittingbourne (2009-present). However, I reluctantly found myself becoming bored of the product over the course of 2011 and only have only attended a single Sittingbourne event in 2012 (the first one, with the 1-night cruiserweight tournament). I used to go with a group of between 4-6 people, but they too have stopped attending on a regular basis.

Now, I firmly believe that the Sittingbourne/RevPro events feature arguably the best in-ring wrestling product of anywhere in the UK. That is probably still the case to this day. However, when that's all they have, that isn't enough to make every show a 'must see'. Because of this, every show came over as exactly the same. A Sittingbourne show would always end up being 'Import A' vs. Scurll/Haskins/Dar in a one-off exhibition match, 'Import B' vs. Scurll/Haskins/Dar in a one-off exhibition match, a Project Ego tag match and a heavyweight singles match with Samuels/Mastiff/Kincaide. Without exception. All top quality and featuring a who's-who of the very best stand-out talented performers in the UK, there can be absolutely no doubt about that, but it became less important to make sure you were there next time, and didn't matter if you missed an event, since you would just get to see more of exactly the same next time and enjoy it just as much. There isn't that engaging link from show-to-show which makes sure to draw you back next time - the whole thing is (mainly) solely sold on the one-off potential in-ring quality of the matches themselves.

It wasn't that I made a conscious decision to stop coming to Sittingbourne as much. I still made plans to potentially be there but (I even had this past Monday booked off work, due to Sunday's event), when it came to buying tickets and sorting travel/accommodation/etc (bearing in mind I live at the complete other end of the country, and getting to Sittingbourne isn't a minor plan), the motivation just wasn't there and I started putting other 'real life' things ahead of it instead. It's not that I won't be back at some point and I'm really looking forward to heading all the way back down there at some point in 2013, but just recently I haven't been as bothered.

While I cannot stress the in-ring quality of the Sittingbourne shows enough, I can certainly see why the point made above about just going to THIS IS PROGRESS instead is a valid one. How many of the regular Sittingbourne audience are actually, you know, from Sittingbourne? Not many, I'd reckon. Given that, and that S-town itself is a bit of a trek to get to (nearly a further hour past London, by road or rail), I don't blame people for turning to something more convenient for them, especially due to the reasons I've described above about each show not making the next seem special. From my own perspective, instead of travelling 5 hours to Sittingbourne, I could travel less than 3 and still see US indy imports at PCW, SWE, FCP etc.

Like I say, I do enjoy the 'RevPro' product and rank it highly; I'm just giving some insight into my own reasons for not making the effort this year.

Couldn't agree more with this, with the IPW & Rev Pro split aswell now it seems we are going to be saturated with 2 products, neither of which live up to what they used to be, the atmosphere compared to that at Progress is non existant unfortunately. They need to bring in fresh blood, 3 or 4 people that can work the crowd and get them involved in the shows. Spud can't do it all on his own. Over the years, Leroy Kincaid as dropped off his game and it seems they are now coiming round to the way of thinking of not using him, Terry Frazier another who's love for wrestling now appears to be second to his modelling, his match with Renee Dupree in Sittingbourne was an absolute farce on both sides. Sha is great but doesn't bring any star power on the UK scene to the title and although he is one of the better crowd workers, his in ring stuff is just 'meh'. Lion Kid is never going to get a crowd going unless the crowd is made up of children. Haskins and Dar are about the only ones with the exception of Spud and Marty that even seems interested in performing for the crowd.

I don't understand the point of guys like Walter, no crowd work, slow and painful to watch.

I'm a big fan of Stixx, his crowd work is always good and when he has Harvey with him places they are electric and grabbing heat. It pains me to say it but Dave Rayne is one of the best at crowd work up at Preston, he may not be the greatest ring general but he at least injects some decent atmosphere into things. At progress they use guys like Jimmy Havoc, another one superb at getting a crowd going, I think if RevPro and/or IPW are going to continue on for much longer it is time for some new blood and of course new speakers..... I too, will not be attending the next show as it stands.

It depends what you look for in your wrestling, the fact that a lot of people say Rev Pro has one of the best in ring products is surely a selling point in itself.

I think the idea of bringing over some of the best names in the world and having dream matches with Rev Pro's top guys is great, a lot of the top UK guys work everywhere and as good as they are many of the combinations of matches have already been done, in some cases many times over. So bringing in some of the most exciting names from around the world like Devitt, Young Bucks, Gargano, Tajiri, Morishima, Generico, etc over the years allows you to have one of dream matches that probably wont happen anywhere else in the world, which I think is pretty cool.

I think Rev Pro's roster is the best of British, their cards are always stacked and I think their choice of imports is generally pretty good so I wouldn't want to see them change those things but I think they could benefit from maybe getting some more feuds / rivalries going to help give the great matches they are already having a little extra emphasis.

Great example, you're suggesting they bring in international talent to not wrestle and build a feud for a year. These guys come over a few times a year are not regular roster members and nobodies paying them not to wrestle hence the exhibitions.

I basically meant instead of Import A vs Regular Guy B in a straight singles match (which is fine some of the time), it's always nicer when it's for something. For example, Devitt challenging for (and winning) the Cruiserweight belt. Or Elgin vs Walter could've been announced as a heavyweight rankings match or something. Just to give it a little something other than being an exhibition of sorts. I realise the Rock/Cena comparison was a bit out there.

I think there problem is still going to be atmosphere though, with no one on the regular roster (with Spud/Marty/Haskins/Project Ego as exceptions) willing or able to work the crowd, the 'exhibition' matches are totally lost, crowd often sits silent during some of what should be the greatest encounters in the country. Its all very well bringing these guys in but attendances seem to be dropping off, in Sittingbourne especially and the atmosphere getting to a stage where it is nearly non existant. Results at RevPro are always very predictable aswell and there never seems to be much deviated between who are considered their 'favourites' who always go over and the rest of the roster....for example...announcing Marty vs Spud again for next year, that is great and I think it has been a great feud, but I am 99% sure that Marty will go over in it already due to the way Marty is always used in RevPro, already knowing that in my mind takes away some of the sparkle from the feud. They desperately need some crowd workers, a Melanie Price, a Chris Egan, a Harvey Dale etc to get the crowd involved and get some noise generated.

Archived