• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No. 11: Lionheart

Score: 186 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2012 votes: 2

Percentage of 2012 ballots including Lionheart: 28.1%

(2011=17th, 2010=11th, 2009=15th, 2008=17th, 2007=21st, 2006=NL, 2005=NL)

lionheart1b.jpg

One of Scotland's very top wrestling stars (though we now know that Noam Dar will finish somewhere ahead of him this year), Lionheart makes his 6th appearance in the UKFF UK50, moving up 6 places in the rankings to match his finish of 2 years ago. As well as appearing across Scotland and making forays into northern England and across to Denmark, Lionheart is also now behind

, the newest attention-grabbing promotion north of the border, and enjoyed a dark match for WWE at the November 2011 Smackdown tapings in Liverpool.

Lionheart held the Heavyweight Championship in BCW for the entire period; a reign which has included wins over TNA's Magnus in September, BT Gunn/Noam Dar/Andy Wild in a December 4-way TLC match, and 2 additional singles defences against Dar. Lionheart has also been no stranger to doubles gold, as he and Wolfgang reigned as the PBW Tag Team Champions for the entire eligibility season too. Successful defences included wins over Scott Maverick & TJ Rage, Blaze n' Rampage, Scott Maverick & Red Lightning, Project Ego (Martin Kirby & Kris Travis), Johnny Moss & Mikey Whiplash, Max Angelus & Nathan Cruz, and Stixx & Colossus Kennedy.

As a member of the Gold Label, he added the ICW Zero-G Title to his collection by beating Noam Dar at 'Summerbam' in August 2011, though dropped the belt back to Dar at the next show as the Label started to fall apart. The storyline continued in January, as Lionheart beat his stablemate Red Lightning in an impromptu challenge bout. Later that night, Lionheart thought he'd won the 30-man 'Square Go!' rumble, only for Lightning (who hadn't been eliminated) to sneak in, tip him over, and steal the victory. This was the final straw, as Lionheart marked his babyface turn by smacking Lightning to a huge ovation. With the Gold Label history, Lionheart faced Wolfgang and Kid Fite in a 3-way the following month (

), then overcame Liam Thomson and Mikey Whiplash in April and May respectively to become the number one contender to the Heavyweight Title. His shot came in June at 'In Yer Gaff', where BT Gunn retained. Since then, LH has been involved in a situation with James Scott.

Another country, and more gold. Lionheart beat Chaos for the Danish Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Title in September 2011, then managed to retain against Big D, Kool Krede and Karsten Kretschmer in successive return visits. Chaos did some measure of revenge in May 2012, however, beating Lionheart to retain his own UEWA European Heavyweight Title on a DPW event.

In England, Lionheart faced 'Tyneside Titan' Lowthian and Assassin on a CRW double-header in September, then returned the following month to participate in a 5-way TLC match at 'Rise and Fall 2011'. Across the other side of the country, he debuted for Preston City Wrestling in September by

. From there, Lionheart entered a violent feud with Kris Travis, which started on the PCW vs. PBW show in October. The Scotsman beat the Englishman in
that night, directly leading to an even wilder 'I Quit' rematch at 'Blood, Sweat and Beers' the following February. This time, Travis got the win, putting them at 1-1. L'Heart beat Martin Kirby and Joey Hayes over his next two visits to Preston before, after the end of the 2012 UKFF UK50 eligibility period, he overcame T-Bone, Dave Mastiff and Davey Richards to win the PCW Heavyweight Championship... for all of a couple of minutes. Travis, holding a 'Money in the Bank'-style title match contract, cashed in there and then, superkicked Lionheart and relieved him of the gold he had just won.

lionheart2.jpg

What did the UKFF think?

"Very good, needs Noam like Andy Murray needs Federer but has handled it brilliantly"

"Never fails to have a good match, lots of charisma and good look"

"Always a pleasure never a chore to watch Lionheart in action"

"Never seen him in a match i didnt really enjoy"

"an out & out sports entertainer"

"The closet thing to an WWE superstar in Scotland. One of the best in the UK still"

"Has been kept away from main events in Scotland now and it has done him the world of good. I always feel he excels more when being pushed against younger up and coming talent"

"Still the best up here all round. WWE tryout and all last year. really hope he gets to fly the flag for Scotland overseas soon"

"He's changed my opinion of him greatly in the past year. Whilst he does do a lot of WWE manouvers and mannerisms he constantly puts on good to great matches and could drag a tree to a good match"

"Again another stellar year for Lionheart, exciting to watch and surely a WWE or TNA deal beckons"

"Has he? Will he? Believe. Great to see Scottish wrestlers working in England and Lionheart has delivered every time I've seen him. Always able to draw a reaction from the crowd"

"half of PCW's MOTY contenders, also steals the show at PBW and ICW, and also can promote a great show too!"

"once again another fine year, great no matter what he is doing"

"Looks like a superstar, wrestles like a superstar, and there is no good reason that he is not a superstar"

"A low placing considering where I thought I'd be putting him. Not to say he hasn't been excellent. Does the big matches better than anyone else I reckon. Maybe BT Gunn is there with him at a push"

"Massive matches for PCW and his native Scotland, try outs for WWE and TNA, great hand, great heel turned face ala Trav in PCW because of the I Quit match amongst others. Superb"

• Paid Members

So, your 2012 Top 10:

(alphabetical order)

Dave Mastiff

El Ligero

Jack Gallagher

Kris Travis

Mad Man Manson

Martin Kirby

Noam Dar

Rockstar Spud

Stixx

Zack Sabre Jr

Gallagher and Manson will definitely be picking up their highest ever finishes in this project. Manson still being in there is the personal surprise for me, and with Scurll and Haskins both gone, anyone caring to make revised predictions for Top 5s/3s/winner now??

So, your 2012 Top 10:

(alphabetical order)

Dave Mastiff

El Ligero

Jack Gallagher

Kris Travis

Mad Man Manson

Martin Kirby

Noam Dar

Rockstar Spud

Stixx

Zack Sabre Jr

Gallagher and Manson will definitely be picking up their highest ever finishes in this project. Manson still being in there is the personal surprise for me, and with Scurll and Haskins both gone, anyone caring to make revised predictions for Top 5s/3s/winner now??

A great top 10 none the less! Even without Haskins & Scurll whom I am shocked not to see in there.... gonna have a go at predicting how they may come out from now on - this is not how I would personally rank them but looking at what has gone on so far it seems anything can happen!

10. Jack Gallagher

9. Mad Man Manson

8. Martin Kirby

7. Noam Dar

6. Dave Mastiff

5. Stixx

4. Zack Sabre Jnr

3. Kris Travis

2. Rockstar Spud

1. El Ligero

Gallagher for me is the real suprise to have made the top 10 (over Haskins & Scurll especially) but it is testament to his hard work over the last 12 months and I really do think he is deserving of his current standing, his match at the supershow with Davey Richards was outstanding.

So, your 2012 Top 10: (Snip)

Quick comment on Haskins and Lionheart.

Haskins didn't impress for me in TNA, and I was roundly ripped a new one by all and sundry on here, because I wasnt watching the best of the man. At that point, it was all I had had seen of the guy and it wasn't going well. However, after Fludder and a few others sent me matches I changed my mind and the 3 way in PCW confirmed that. Very, very good wrestler who deserves his high placing on the list.

Lionheart, is phenomenal I don't think I have ever seen him in a bad match, has pretty much the whole package going on. Again, another deserved spot.

The Top 10 is going to be interesting I think that top spot will be closer than ever in terms of at least any of the top 10 below could be number one and would largely be deserved, though not seen much of Stixx thus far to really comment. I guess it shows how strong the scene is with a number of different styles represented in the top ten, Comedy, High Flying, All Rounders, Big Guys and the underrated, who clearly aren't that underrated any more if they have made the top 10, again. I'm looking forward to it .

1. El Ligero

2. Jack Gallagher

3. Noam Dar

4. Kris Travis

5. Dave Mastiff

6. Zack Sabre Jr

7. Martin Kirby

8. Stixx

9. Rockstar Spud

10. Mad Man Manson

NB I guess any of the top 6 are interchangable, Zack, maybe hurt by his relatively low number of UK appearances because he has been in Japan for most of the qualifying period. Clearly his quality is there for all to see though.

Haskins didn't impress for me in TNA, and I was roundly ripped a new one by all and sundry on here, because I wasnt watching the best of the man. At that point, it was all I had had seen of the guy and it wasn't going well. However, after Fludder and a few others sent me matches I changed my mind and the 3 way in PCW confirmed that. Very, very good wrestler who deserves his high placing on the list.

Same really, I never really rated him that high until his match at Southside against Stixx in August

I've never rated Haskins and I've seen him a number of times. I just don't think he's very good.

Everyone has their opinion on different guys, for me Haskins is one of the very very best and I think TNA really missed the boat on not doing anything with him. Whether it be inside the ring, out doing meet and greets or in the back, Mark is a true professional who plans every aspect of his match and persona down to the very last detail. I think that TNA's loss is gonna be the UK's gain as i'm sure Mark will be out to prove all of his doubters wrong over the next 12 months especially. I've seen Mark wrestle 20-30 times over the qualifying period and for me I always find his performances top notch, I was also lucky enough to be involved in his match with Stixx at Southside and get a real insight into just how thorough his prepartation is. I hope he gets the chance to change your mind on him somehwere this year.

Archived