External Harddrive Trouble

NorthSeaTiger

So..this one is for all the tech heads on here. I have a Maxtor Basics 500gb HDD...Its mains powered and hooks up via USB...Plugged it in as usual today to tidy it up, light came on...and nothing. Mkking a slight clicking noise, but not the usual "running" sound. I cant even find it in the device manager section, or in "my computer"...I've tried all my USB ports, but its not showing up...I have shitloads of pics, videos etc of my 3 kids from way back and dont wanna lose them...Any help would be really appreciated.

So..this one is for all the tech heads on here. I have a Maxtor Basics 500gb HDD...Its mains powered and hooks up via USB...Plugged it in as usual today to tidy it up, light came on...and nothing. Mkking a slight clicking noise, but not the usual "running" sound. I cant even find it in the device manager section, or in "my computer"...I've tried all my USB ports, but its not showing up...I have shitloads of pics, videos etc of my 3 kids from way back and dont wanna lose them...Any help would be really appreciated.

I wouldn't worry. Good chance something inside has slipped out of place. They are surprisingly simplistic bits of kits. If your feeling brave enough, take a screw driver to it and have a look, otherwise take it to a computer shop. Bet it'll be sorted in 30 secs of looking inside.

Definitely do as the poster above says and try a different USB cable, if you've got another one with the right connector on the other end. That happened with one of my hard drives, and it turned out it wasn't recognising it because of the cable. I tried a different one and it worked no problem.

Archived