International SuperShow - Manchester. August 25th

Next up came the cage match, at first I thought a funny time to put in on as I had presumed it would be last for the simple fact that they would not have to put it up and take it down mid show but I am hugely thankful that they left Gallagher and Richards for last.

Someone else mentioned this to me last night. And i thought it odd people would think this. Set up time for the cage was around 30 minute mark, pack down about 15. The decision to put the cage on second meant the planned interval absorbed the larger wait, and a shorter pack down time happened mid show.

To have the cage last would mean having an interval, then jack vs davey...then a 30 minute wait. then the cage match. A gap was inevitable, it was just about minimizing the impact of said gap

Well it didn't seem that long a wait in the end at all and the anticipation of the match itself certainly gave you something to occupy yourselves with during the time it took to put up, with what you chose to do with Davey it made perfect sense to do it this way round in the end and you should be proud of yourself with the way the event went as a whole, second half of the show was fantastic

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Bodom def Bedlam

Thought this was a great opener. Lot of pressure riding on Josh since his debut in November and I think he peformed well. It was a simple, big man/little man match with the highlights being Josh's senton to the outside and Bedlam's Bossman slam.

The Wristlock Rovers and 2 Dimension def CJ Banks, Cyanide and The Blackpool Blonds w/Chris Egan

This match was a lot of fun like most Futureshock 8 man tags usually are. I'm really buying into the Wristlock Rovers gimmick, the comedy spots worked really well in the 8 man environment. 2 Dimension continue to improve both as wrestlers and as a tag team, I think they have a bright future. Likewise the Blackpool Blonds performed very consistently throughout. Without question though, the MVP of the match was Cyanide, the premier big man in British Wrestling, some great offence and moves in the right place, the dropkick, the moonsault etc. Not moves you'd normally expect or need to see a big guy do but they just suit Cyanide well. Never tire of DDL powerbombing Cyanide either. Oh and last but by no means least, Chris Egan shaking everyone's hands then turning into the DDL big boot and leg drop was delivered with excellent comedy timing.

Womens Championship

April Davids

Honestly I thought the show was a bit weak and very average, discounting the main event. The first four matches could have easily taken place in Stockport as I didn't feel any of them stepped up for the big match occasion. The 8-man felt exactly the same as the one that occurred last July with the same (impressive) ending of DDL doing a crucifix powerbomb on Cyanide. The womens match, for how good the two are, and how hot it started with Jenny and April battering each other outside the ring, ended up mildly disappointing me. This is the third time I've seen this match now and it has progressively gone downhill each time. Something just seemed off Saturday night, there were moments where they looked slow and sluggish.

The big positives was how fantastic the venue was. The RNCM could end up being a brilliant place for wrestling and really helped make the show feel big time, even if some of the matches didn't deliver. The cage looked great and the best cage I've ever seen live. Dave Rayne having the strippers was a very nice touch and made his entrance feel big time. The match itself was good. Gibson has balls of steep for that double stomp drop from near the top of the cage.

And the main event was brilliant. I'm still trying to wrap my head round whether I liked the ending or not and if that took away from the match, but I cannot deny everything up until the injury angle was absolutely incredible technical wrestling at it's finest, some great strikes, dives, and drama and atmosphere that made the match feel big time and a main event in every sense of the word. I like that Davey won, I like that he's the Champ and will be back (although this match built more to Richards/Gallagher III than it did Richards/Gibson) I'm still not sure on that ending. Incredibly ballsy move. But first I was thinking the injured Jack would get a cheap roll up win. Then after that headbutt I was thinking Jack could still get a strong clean win. And one kick to the head later and Davey had won. But rather than celebrate, he looked confused and shouted at the commentators before storming out with the belt. But just the collective gasp and shock of Davey winning made that ending spectacular. It's just........ I am still trying to get my head round it as it didn't make either man look strong and with the way Davey was complaining I thought he was going to refuse the title.

A one match show I felt really, but with some really good moments and nice touches that either worked or didn't.

Honestly I thought the show was a bit weak and very average, discounting the main event. The first four matches could have easily taken place in Stockport as I didn't feel any of them stepped up for the big match occasion. The 8-man felt exactly the same as the one that occurred last July with the same (impressive) ending of DDL doing a crucifix powerbomb on Cyanide. The womens match, for how good the two are, and how hot it started with Jenny and April battering each other outside the ring, ended up mildly disappointing me. This is the third time I've seen this match now and it has progressively gone downhill each time. Something just seemed off Saturday night, there were moments where they looked slow and sluggish.

The big positives was how fantastic the venue was. The RNCM could end up being a brilliant place for wrestling and really helped make the show feel big time, even if some of the matches didn't deliver. The cage looked great and the best cage I've ever seen live. Dave Rayne having the strippers was a very nice touch and made his entrance feel big time. The match itself was good. Gibson has balls of steep for that double stomp drop from near the top of the cage.

And the main event was brilliant. I'm still trying to wrap my head round whether I liked the ending or not and if that took away from the match, but I cannot deny everything up until the injury angle was absolutely incredible technical wrestling at it's finest, some great strikes, dives, and drama and atmosphere that made the match feel big time and a main event in every sense of the word. I like that Davey won, I like that he's the Champ and will be back (although this match built more to Richards/Gallagher III than it did Richards/Gibson) I'm still not sure on that ending. Incredibly ballsy move. But first I was thinking the injured Jack would get a cheap roll up win. Then after that headbutt I was thinking Jack could still get a strong clean win. And one kick to the head later and Davey had won. But rather than celebrate, he looked confused and shouted at the commentators before storming out with the belt. But just the collective gasp and shock of Davey winning made that ending spectacular. It's just........ I am still trying to get my head round it as it didn't make either man look strong and with the way Davey was complaining I thought he was going to refuse the title.

A one match show I felt really, but with some really good moments and nice touches that either worked or didn't.

Pretty much agree with most of what Coby said, everything prior to the last 2 matches didn't do that much for me. The cage match was decent but to be honest it seemed quite short, the ending was cool but just didn't feel the match had long enough to build up to what it could have been. But the main event was absolutely brilliant, Davey said it was going to be something special and that him and Jack were going to pull out all the stops and they did in spectacular fashion. The match itself was good but the ending caught absolutely everyone by suprise, and in modern day pro wrestling to genuinely shock fans with a results is a hard thing to do and this was a masterful swerve no one saw coming. The injury angle, the way Davey reacted after winning the belt, emotion was already so high from the match and it just added to the drama, and amoungst that they initial confusion and the way everyone reacted all just made you wonder for that split second 'was that supposed to happen?' and of course you know it was, but the fact that it even made you think twice is when you know wrestling is at it's very best. Absolutely loved it.

Davey might of gained a bad reputation for other aspects of his behaviour but he is an outstanding in the ring performer and on this tour he has been in top form and certainly can't be accused of phoning it in or taking it easy. For me Davey vs Jack was the best match of Davey's whole tour, which is really saying something when you consider how good some of his other matches were, in particular Dar and Stixx. Also in a weekend where there were so many outsnding matches in various promotions Davey and Jack get my nod for match of the weekend too.

I like Gibson a lot but don't want to see him vs Davey when he comes back to defend the belt, after the story Jack and Davey have built and the 2 classics they have had surely it must be building to their third match!

Pretty much agree with most of what Coby said, everything prior to the last 2 matches didn't do that much for me. The cage match was decent but to be honest it seemed quite short, the ending was cool but just didn't feel the match had long enough to build up to what it could have been. But the main event was absolutely brilliant, Davey said it was going to be something special and that him and Jack were going to pull out all the stops and they did in spectacular fashion. The match itself was good but the ending caught absolutely everyone by suprise, and in modern day pro wrestling to genuinely shock fans with a results is a hard thing to do and this was a masterful swerve no one saw coming. The injury angle, the way Davey reacted after winning the belt, emotion was already so high from the match and it just added to the drama, and amoungst that they initial confusion and the way everyone reacted all just made you wonder for that split second 'was that supposed to happen?' and of course you know it was, but the fact that it even made you think twice is when you know wrestling is at it's very best. Absolutely loved it.

Davey might of gained a bad reputation for other aspects of his behaviour but he is an outstanding in the ring performer and on this tour he has been in top form and certainly can't be accused of phoning it in or taking it easy. For me Davey vs Jack was the best match of Davey's whole tour, which is really saying something when you consider how good some of his other matches were, in particular Dar and Stixx. Also in a weekend where there were so many outsnding matches in various promotions Davey and Jack get my nod for match of the weekend too.

I like Gibson a lot but don't want to see him vs Davey when he comes back to defend the belt, after the story Jack and Davey have built and the 2 classics they have had surely it must be building to their third match!

I have to agree with these aswell, as I touched on with my review, I thought the 2nd half of the show was fantastic but yeah the 1st half was a bit of a let down, the 8 man could have been good but I couldn't really see enough of it to make a judgment with so many bodies on the apron and at ringside and the only other thing I found a let down was the Tag Title match, mainly down to The Models just really going through the motions and not really seeming too bothered about being part of such a bit show. Shame no one really wanted to raise their game to a higher level (with the exception of young Josh Bodom) for such a big occassion for the company. All in all though I did find the experience enjoyable and the venue was a sight to behold itself even if there wasn't perhaps anymore done inside it than you usually do at Stockport.

I can't really speak for the rest of the first half, but I would just like to offer my opinion on Josh Bodem.

With only 6 matches under his belt and less than a year in, I would imagine being put in the first match of such a big show for his home company was alot of pressure.

Under the circumstances, I think he rose to the occasion quite admirably.

I can't really speak for the rest of the first half, but I would just like to offer my opinion on Josh Bodem.

With only 6 matches under his belt and less than a year in, I would imagine being put in the first match of such a big show for his home company was alot of pressure.

I agree and whats good is he's quite modest about his success, I think he has a bright future.

He certainly did, Bodom's performance was probably the highlight of the 1st half of the show for me. I had been looking forward to the Tag Title match but think the Models really let themselves down.

It's taken me a few days to clarify my thoughts about this show such was my anticipation ahead of it and elation just after it, but here goes.

Firstly what a brilliant venue for a wrestling show, an unusual choice but a clever one. As a musician I have played in the Concert Hall on several occasions and I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but it definitely gave the show a special feel which was right and proper for a Supershow.

A lot of praise has already been given to Josh Bodem and I can only add to that - a big responsibility opening up the show but he seems to thrive on it and does so well. I have to say that I am intrigued by the background and pedigree of his opponent on Saturday, the mysterious Bedlam - so for a masked wrestler to spark that curiosity and fascination I guess it's job well done. I will be interested to see him on show again.

The 8 man tag was good but I think will be remembered more than anything for Cyanide's moonsault. He teased the audience with a will he or won't he moment, and I was literally holding my breath. It's always impressive when big men fly - (or should that be fall, gravity kind of kicks in) but it takes guts and the occasion demanded something extraordinary and Cyanide did just that!

I had been looking forward so much to the Ladies Championship match - Jenny is my favourite female wrestler on the planet and April has incredible tenacity - but for me it just failed to deliver what it had promised after the intensity of the brawl these two had some weeks ago outside of the ring. They both seemed up for it but it was like they were trying too hard right from the very quick start. I think a slow build would have done this match more justice, the intensity felt forced but have to say that I'm enjoying watching women's wrestling a lot more than I used to, and I think that FutureShock has been right to embrace it and give it the respect it deserves with atheletes like these two.

There has been a bit of criticism levelled at The Models and at Joey Hayes in particular, but I have to confess that they can do very little wrong in my eyes. I love the co-ordinated cat walking and the throwing back of the heads. It might be they were overselling a tad at this show, but again I think that like all the wrestlers on this show, they were trying very hard because of the sense of the occasion. And yes, Bailey and Daniels really work well together, so it was a win win situation for me.

You could start to feel the change of atmosphere as the cage was being assembled - the growing sense of tension was palpable and I was feeling nervous for the wrestlers. That feeling was somewhat dissipated by Dave's entrance - it was perfect, and fitted his personna so well that you couldn't imagine it being done any other way. Very clever. There were one or two slips in this match but the overwhelming spectacle and theatricalityof the cage dominated the proceedings. I couldn't say that I enjoyed the match as much as that I endured it but well done to Dave and Zack, it was gutsy stuff.

And then for the grand finale. It felt very surreal watching a string quartet being helped into the ring but again, a brilliant touch. This moment promised much and it did not disappoint. I know of no other wrestler who enters the ring to a piece of classical music but Jack has made this piece his own and it works so well. We have all heard Davey's praise and admiration for Jack after their last match so it was a shock to see the slightly heelish turn of Davey's character during this match. Even so - as has been commented on already, the entire crowd was shocked and disbelieving of the final moments and Jack's defeat - which is exactly why it was such a brilliant end. I sat in my seat thinking "what just happened here?" and it took a few minutes to digest. Yet another twist and turn - it's a wrestling soap opera and it gets me every single time in that Usual Suspect/Sixth Sense kind of a way.

For me this International Supershow was a celebration of FutureShock Wrestling and all they have acheived over the last few years. I still manage to find things they can improve upon but in the last couple of years in particular, they have come of age and are deservedly known as one of the best promotions in the uk. I look forward to their next celebration in who knows where :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived