Bunac Work America/J1 Visas etc.

Slapnut

So I'm signed up to Bunac's Work America program for this summer, has anyone had any experience doing this, or working in the US with a J1 visa in general? I want to be working in NYC but apparently it's a fucking nightmare finding a job there on a student work visa.

• Moderators

I've never been on a J-1, I'm on an H1-B (suck it haters). I know the J-1 though. Basically classifies you as an exchange worker. Mostly this means you're a grunt working at some amusement park or something along those lines.

What do you want to work as in NYC? Your chances probably aren't good though. Easiest way to working in the USA on a more permanent basis is to go F-1 to OPT to H1-B. Either that or be exceptionally qualified.

I've never been on a J-1, I'm on an H1-B (suck it haters). I know the J-1 though. Basically classifies you as an exchange worker. Mostly this means you're a grunt working at some amusement park or something along those lines.

What do you want to work as in NYC? Your chances probably aren't good though. Easiest way to working in the USA on a more permanent basis is to go F-1 to OPT to H1-B. Either that or be exceptionally qualified.

To be honest, there isn't a lot I wouldn't do job-wise. The visa is sorted by Bunac, it's just finding ways of job and apartment hunting really.

Nah, he has a work visa - just wondered if he could help with visa stuff in general. Do BUNAC set up work for you?

They don't set you up with a job, but they pretty much help you along. They give you access to a job directory which is apparently updated quite regularly, but at the moment doesn't have an awful lot on there. Aside from that, all I can find are unpaid internships or jobs that require lots of experience in the specific field.

So, can you go down as far as bar work, shops, etc.? There are loads of jobs doing that, which are only advertised in windows. There's even a pretty nifty English food store and chippy in the Village.

Yeah the visa lets you do pretty much any job except unpaid work and nanny work, stuff like that. Apparently lots of people that do the program in New York only get jobs once they've arrived and handed out CV's in shops, which I can see being the same with me. It sounds near enough impossible to email a company in New York telling them I'll be there in July and I want them to hire me then.

Archived