ultimate warrior title run

nicholasjackson

ive been watching wwf 1990 recently and especially warrior after his title win over hogan at mania 6, he's still way over with the crowd but any magazines,books , internet chats on this era always slag his run off, i enjoyed his summer fued with rick rude,had some good matches with ted dibiase, my question is was warriors title run harmed by beating hogan rather than beating a heel? dibiase,rude or savage? constructive comments would be nice , i think its obvious he was no shawn micheals/bret hart

ive been watching wwf 1990 recently and especially warrior after his title win over hogan at mania 6, he's still way over with the crowd but any magazines,books , internet chats on this era always slag his run off, i enjoyed his summer fued with rick rude,had some good matches with ted dibiase, my question is was warriors title run harmed by beating hogan rather than beating a heel? dibiase,rude or savage? constructive comments would be nice , i think its obvious he was no shawn micheals/bret hart

No i dont think it harmed his run at all, he just wasnt the top face at the time even though wrestlemania 6 was meant to be like a passing of the torch/sharing top spot with Hogan. Hogan was more popular than Warrior so you had the 2nd top face with the top prize yet people were more interested in watching what was happening between the Macho Man and Hogan then watching Warrior defend against the likes of Rick Rude and so on.

to be honesr i thought hogan and savage had a poor 1990, warrior possibly wouldve been helped by challengers, hed already defeated rude enough times and mr perfect wasnt ready to be took serious as a title challenger, also wwf spent a year telling us ted dibiase didnt want the wwf title then had him challenge warrior a couple of times, even though he gets panned i still enjoyed his matches in 90/91 i thought he shown big improvement obviously not to kurt angle/benoit level but for his limitations i enjoyed it

He wasn't helped by the fact that the audience struggled to truly connect with him because of his rambling, nonsensical promos. Sure he'd get a pop for his entrance & matches but his mic work was often unintelligible to the masses and that separated from Hogan who stuck with a simple formula (train, pray etc) as well as actually professing 'love' for his fans. By that token, they were able to warm to him.

And not forgetting how Hogan (who admitted to this himself) stole the spotlight back when he wasn't supposed to minutes after the final bell at WM6 to ensure Warrior never got the full leg-up needed to propel him to the top spot.

I personally was a massive Warrior fan growing up and wasn't put off by the promo issue but I realise it was a big factor.

• Paid Members

Warrior's matches as champion seemed less important than they did before he won the belt. Where as Hogan could raise Kamala, One Man Gang, Bundy and Zeus and people like that to main event level and draw with them, Warrior vs Slaughter, Rude and DiBiase came across as uppercard attractions more than main event level programmes. Earthquake vs Hogan seemed like a much bigger deal than Rude vs Warrior did. Warrior was the alternative to Hogan. The cool, long hair mentalist. Making him the number one guy seemed to lower his stock.

Archived