PPI`s - Quests, success and failures

Jimmy_kahoona

I thought i`d ask if anyone has had success in dealing with the banks and the current PPI `refunds` that are going on?i started my quest a couple of weeks ago by attempting to travel the `DIY` road. too much jargon and confussion so i contacted a `we`ll get your money back for 15%` company. The guy was pretty useless and told me he couldn`t help unless i had the `loan agreement numbers`. I`ve now decided if i have the loan agreement numbers i may as well try it myself again.and thats where i`ve hit a brick wall! I`ve contacted the bank on 6 occassions in the last 2 weeks and the closest i`ve got to a `loan agreement number` is a loan repayment amount for paying off my loan early. I keep getting told off the telephone banking that i should just `pop into a branch` and get the numbers, the branches i`ve `popped into` say they dont keep records that far back. i`ve now filled in 2 different forms asking for these numbers but I suspect I`ll get nothing.So over to you lucky people who have dealt with the PPI market, any stories that could help out fellow PPI adventurers?

• Paid Members

Few questions bro...

Do you fit into one of the two categories?

(1) Were you genuinely unaware of the insurance even existing and being included in the repayment?

-OR-

(2) Were you set up the insurance despite falling into one of their exclusions (this depends on the provider) i.e. self-employed, thus ending up paying for insurance that could never pay out, because you were inelligible for it anyway?

I ask because I work for a provider of personal finance and we've been inundated with questions about it, most of them have been very misguided. Most we have established just think they were poorly advised (no one held a gun to your head), one or two have thought they fell into the exclusion over being self-employed despite the policy actually being mortgage payment protection insurance and thus not having that exclusion, and the odd one we've simply interviewed and found out they "thought it was a good idea at the time but have changed our minds." Roughly translated had no problems understanding and applying for the insurance at the time, but since they've never had to claim, are now trying to make some money off us. You'd have thought they'd be happy they haven't contracted cancer or been hit by a bus!

Just to let you know, the branches saying their records don't go back that far in branch level may be right. I was trying to find some customers that had taken out certain products with us, and the system for opening stuff would only let me search back to September 2008, and the actual transactions passing throw peoples accounts only ever goes back 18 months at branch level. Furthermore quite often if a policy or product already in existence becomes outdated or replaced by something else, it is often difficult or impossible for the branch system software to know what it is. Our systems are plagued with "undefined insurance policy" which usually turns out to be MPPI, MDTA or home insurance.

Your best bet is to simply write to the head office. Speaking for my industry we all shit ourselves at any written complaint and quite often have a certain number of days before it has to be "escalated" so the complaint instantly gets transferred to the right department.

Oh and word of advice, to stop branch/contact centre/head office staff sniggering at you/thinking you're a bellend/not taking you seriously - NEVER just come out and threaten them with the Financial Services Ombudsman. That never gets you anywhere. The Ombudsman will only get involved if you receive a final letter from the provider telling you the matter is closed as far as they are concerned, and refer you back to the provider if you don't have one.

I recently dealt with a complaint from a chancer/complete cockarse, and this is what happened. I don't take any pleasure when the complaint is genuine, but this guy was just trying to fuck us because he's managed it before :

(1) Customer complains to me in branch. I confirm we have done nothing wrong, but offer him

Few questions bro...Do you fit into one of the two categories?(1) Were you genuinely unaware of the insurance even existing and being included in the repayment?-OR-(2) Were you set up the insurance despite falling into one of their exclusions (this depends on the provider) i.e. self-employed, thus ending up paying for insurance that could never pay out, because you were inelligible for it anyway?

When I initially wanted a loan it was to pay off a credit card, ok I shouldnt have spent the money on the credit card to begin with, but the guy at the RBS `advice` meeting told me the credit card would `help my credit rating and that i should put down how much i would earn after my next pay rise` on the application. So i got the debt and refinanced with a loan a couple of years later. At the RBS loan meeting I was given the loan breakdown and I said i didnt want PPI as it was about 1/3 of what the loan amount came to but was told I `won`t get the loan without the Insurance`.Now obviously with some grown up eyes I see I was advised into getting myself into financial black hole which now after 10 years, I`m eventually out of (and RBS loving every minute of the interest and fines and charges)And with the PPI reclaiming information I understand I was pressure sold something I didnt want.

• Paid Members

At the RBS loan meeting I was given the loan breakdown and I said i didnt want PPI as it was about 1/3 of what the loan amount came to but was told I `won`t get the loan without the Insurance`.

Hmm, pretty shifty. Like I said, write to their head office. Written complaints always get acted on once they get to the right department. Shower of bastards.

Sent the paperwork off the other week just waiting on a reply, takes about 8 - 9 weeks or soMy mbna card is one big con, the ppi on it was 12 quid but then over the years its been bumped to 32 quid, also over the years I kept phoning them to cancel the cc insurence but of course I kept getting fobbed off and still having to pay ppi.I Never asked for it nor did I want it

• 1 month later...

Archived