Studio Headphones

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

So I'm in the market for a decent pair of cans.

I know we've got a few people on here who like to record music, whether it be for fun or in a more professional capacity so I'm after some opinions.

Worth noting that it's hip hop music I make so I want something with punchy, fat bass.

Current frontrunners are BeyerDynamics DT 770s, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some opinions.

28027-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250-ohm-b-stock-large.jpg

First person to suggest Beats by Dre.... well, I'll just be disappointed and think less of you. But that's not really a great threat.

Expecting responses here at least from herbie and Loki if noone else!

Those DT770s are great, Chest, especially if you're working in an open office or somewhere else a bit noisy. The DT880s are probably good too, though I've not used them.

I use Sennheiser HD280s at work even though I have a relatively quiet room - they are really isolated and good reproduction. I have Sennheisers in my home studio too, though I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

But, yeah the DT770s are great, and really not expensive. I've done plenty of legwork on the DT100s too, and they're not bad and a bit cheaper. I'd not wear closed headphones for long periods of time though, as you can get glue ear which sucks.

Incidentally, it's my opinion that no matter what sort of music you're making you want a clean, well balanced pair of headphones. If you buy a pair that has "punchy, fat bass" you run the risk of actually creating mixes that are too light on bass - they sound good on the bass-heavy cans, but sound underwhelming on normal stereos. And have a good set of monitors too - make sure it sounds good on cans AND monitors, and preferably any commercial sound systems that you have in your house/studio as well.

I'm about to buy a pair of these bad boys:

http://www.studiospares.com/studio-monitor...ry/invt/485290/

Combined with a new Pro40 soundcard I should get really clean monitoring in my new studio.

• Paid Members

I have a few sets of the Beyer Dynamics DT100s, which I use for video editing & some Pro Tools work. They've been industry standard in all studios for years.

But I also use AKG K44s, which are cheap & cheerful, but quality too! I actually prefer them because they're lighter & less sweaty when you have them one for a few hours on a hot day.

• Moderators

Hey guys.. sorry for not coming back on this. I was away for a long weekend.

However, I did find your posts useful so thanks very much for taking the time to respond! (I knew it was worth calling y'all out by name in the first post..)

And yeah, Loki - I always listen to finished stuff on pretty much any headphones and stereos I have around..

Never really got with FL Studio, but I have a friend who writes really good stuff on it so I know it's fairly powerful.

Do you really use CoolEdit? That's about a decade old that product, it became Adobe Audition sometimes in the noughties!

I use Logic - it's a fucking beast, there's practically nothing you can't do on it. A lot of the pro composers use Nuendo - but Logic's basic set of synths that it ships with is far superior to those offered by either Cubase or Nuendo.

• Moderators

Yeah, I still use Cool Edit! If I ever lost my install and crack for that old copy of Cool Edit Pro I'd cry as the product is now completely extinct and unsupported.

Fruity has really evolved along with me. When I first started recording music I was recording in guitar and bass with a jack to phono straight into the mic in from the amp, and some vocals with a crappy PC mic, and I used Fruity to sequence and lay down some drums. (Needless to say it sounded pretty awful, though I'd love to find some of those old recordings just to hear them again). As my production skills and technical knowledge increased, Fruity has become more powerful over the years.

Archived