Hogan vs Hart at Superbrawl 98

humanracer

I used to think it was better not to rush a huge match and to save it for the right time and place. However now I feel that perhaps it is better to have it as soon as possible as one of the people involved could become injured and the match may never happen. In the case of Hogan and Hart, I feel the match should have been a priority and should have taken place at the first available opportunity. That opportunity was Superbrawl 98.

WCW was still a success in early 98 but WWF's Wrestlemania 14 was seen as the turning point for the opposition. With the Austin/Vince feud and an appearance by Tyson, Wrestlemania 14 was always going to easily blow away anything WCW could come up. So I feel WCW should have used Bret to his full potential. He should have wrestled Flair at Starcade instead of Souled Out. Then Hogan loses to Sting at the PPV in a CLEAN win (not the fast count farce). Then the following next Hogan vs Hart for Superbrawl gets announced, building anticipation and taking the heat away from WM 14. At Souled Out I would have Hogan & Savage defeat Hart and Sting in a tag match. This would also involve some friction between Hogan and Savage. Then at Superbrawl Hart beats Hogan in the main event. Sting beats Savage in a title match. Then the title gets made vacant following a rematch between Savage and Sting on Nitro. At Uncensored it is a four way elimination match for the title. Hogan eliminates Hart (so Hogan can finally say Hart jobbed for him), Savage eliminates Sting then Hogan eliminates Savage winning the title and starting the breakup of the NWO into two.

What do you think of my idea?

Also what would you have done instead of the "fingerpoke of doom" in 98? Was it ever a good idea to have Goldberg lose his streak to Nash?

• Paid Members

Hogan vs Hart was a massive match in 1998. It shouldnt have been thrown away at Superbrawl 98. Sting vs Hogan's rematch drew big, so you didnt need that match anyway. Hogan vs Hart should have happened months down the line. But WCW turned Hart about 30 time, put him with Hogan, give him a midcard belt and all the other things they did to devalue him. They shouldnt have had Bret Hart wrestle at Starcade 97. Starcade was the Hogan vs Sting show. Blowing Bret's debut on a show that was going to be watched by everyone anyway would have been ... well typical WCW to be honest. Ric Flair vs Bret drew big at Souled Out.

For me, after doing a real job of putting Sting over at Starcade, you should have had a Sting vs Bret feud first (after the mini feud with Flair). That was dream match pre-98. And went with a DDP vs Hogan feud in the early part of 98. Then have a swap with DDP feuding with Sting and Bret feuding with Hogan. Hogan vs. Sting's rematch could have come in mid-98 as well. Make them wait for it. Then Goldberg can FUCK EM ALL! There were a million marquee matches in WCW in 1998. They somehow fucked it all up.

• Paid Members
Was it ever a good idea to have Goldberg lose his streak to Nash?

Yes. The streak couldn't have lasted forever, and there wasn't a better candidate about than Big Kev. The fans wanted to see it. The mega-pop when Nash wins, and the massive buyrate it drew prove that. Regardless of what people trying to re-write history say.

It's the follow up where it all went wrong.

Archived