2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about Newcastle? Only have one club, no religious connotations and one of the top 5 best supported clubs in the land. Football is some people's religion. Some more than others.

That's the difference though. Newcastle have only one club. How many clubs are there in Glasgow? Rangers, Celtic, Thistle, Queens Park, Clyde.

Celtic & Rangers support was built on the Catholic & Protestant divide. That can't be denied.

What about Newcastle? Only have one club, no religious connotations and one of the top 5 best supported clubs in the land. Football is some people's religion. Some more than others.

Newcastle isn't a massive city though. It's not even in the top ten most populated places in Britain. Teeside is though, and within that you have Sunderland and Boro. If you look at football across the world every major or capital city has two main rivals who in most cases happen to be the most successful clubs in that particular country.

Of course the Old Firm have a problem with sectarianism and of course it will lead to some fans supporting a team based entirely on religion. But to say that's what both clubs success is based on is absolutely laughable.

I'm not a protestant or a catholic. I supported Rangers because my family have for generations beforehand and it was how I was brought up. There was no religious aspect to me supporting Rangers and for the vast majority of Celtic and Rangers fans it's the same for them.

I'm not a protestant or a catholic. I supported Rangers because my family have for generations beforehand and it was how I was brought up. There was no religious aspect to me supporting Rangers and for the vast majority of Celtic and Rangers fans it's the same for them.

Ally, your language and posts in the various Scottish threads over the years would suggest that you're more than likely an excellent example of the type of "fan" that I'm talking about.

If you're going to suggest that both clubs aren't built on decades of sectarian hatred then I'm afraid you really need some help.

• Paid Members
That's the difference though. Newcastle have only one club.

You said the massive support is based on the sectarianism. There are hundreds of other cities who massively support football clubs without any such reason though. Including Newcastle where it doesn't even take a massive rivalry to have 50,000+ fans turning up each week.

In a City as big as Glasgow, the football would still be massively popular, regardless of religion.

In a City as big as Glasgow, the football would still be massively popular, regardless of religion.

It certainly would be, but we wouldn't see the same amount of fans travelling to the games from Eire & Northern Ireland that we do if there wasn't a religious connection, not to mention that every week we see busloads of old firm fans leaving places all over Scotland to go to their games.

Do thousands upon thousands of fans leave place like Manchester & London to travel to support Newcastle?

It certainly would be, but we wouldn't see the same amount of fans travelling to the games from Eire & Northern Ireland that we do if there wasn't a religious connection, not to mention that every week we see busloads of old firm fans leaving places all over Scotland to go to their games.

Do thousands upon thousands of fans leave place like Manchester & London to travel to support Newcastle?

No but fans travel from all over the world to see Man Utd. Infact it's widely joked about that there's no man Utd fans actually from Manchester.

• Paid Members

Busloads of people used to leave Hull each week to go to Leeds. Thousands of people within spitting distance of Watford, Luton, Stoke, etc will go and support Man United or Liverpool.

I don't think it's a coincidence that everyone I know who went to a Catholic school is a Celtic supporter.

Neither do I. Which is why I've always believed that no matter how many people are arrested on the stands with these new laws, as long as there are Non-Denominational schools in Scotland this issue will never disappear.

Archived