Bret Hart interview from The Sun

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

thought this was an interesting little read

WWE LEGEND Bret Hart reckons this year's WrestleMania failed to live up to his expectations, echoing thoughts of fans around the world.

In an exclusive chat with SunSport, Hart picked out the WWE's use of The Rock and the length of the Jerry Lawler v Michael Cole match as the reasons for his disenchantment.

The Hitman told us: "I was a little disappointed with WrestleMania to be honest. I felt it was anti-climactic.

"I was hoping The Rock would be a little more interesting than he was. I would have had him involved in the John Cena v Miz match right off the bat.

"My initial thinking about two months ago was that Rock was going to be working with Cena and somehow Miz would be involved, and it would be a triple threat type of match. I thought Rock needed to be in the match, not just talking about it.

"Don't get me wrong

Good read. I agree with Bret that Orton vs. Punk was the best match at an otherwise mainly badly booked Mania (especially the misuse of The Rock and The Miz). I'd put Triple H vs. Taker second, as a well-produced and great "blockbuster" match. Obviously, Bret's criticisms of Cole vs. Lawler apply pretty well to his own match last year too, not that it invalidates his opinion or that I disagree.

I can see why being in the ring with Taker was special for Bret. But he was essentially superflous in that situation. As for moments I pretty much never thought we'd get, his performances at SummerSlam and MSG trump that by a mile. Has anyone seen Bret's stuff at house shows?

I reckon he's definitely got a great moment left in him that'd be a nice swan song.

I saw Bret live in his last match at MSG. I flew there specifically for that. It was a dream come true and he put on a great match, breaking out all his old moveset and even delivering a headbutt. Credit to Heath Slater for bumping around like a crazy man for him. I do also think what Bret said about Cole and Lawler could fit exactly to his match with Vince 1 year earlier though.

I like Bret were he is right now, on good terms with Vince, coming in for the roundtable discussion shows and dvd talking head spots.

Still and will always be the greatest of all time to me.

On the whole banned W word thing, I was watching 'Beyond the Mat' last night for the first time in years and couldn't help but laugh when Vince is watching the two guys try-out for WWF and he says "That's a nice bridge, nice wrestling move for a change!"

Worth a mention ;)

On the whole banned W word thing, I was watching 'Beyond the Mat' last night for the first time in years and couldn't help but laugh when Vince is watching the two guys try-out for WWF and he says "That's a nice bridge, nice wrestling move for a change!"

Worth a mention ;)

I wonder if the ban on the word "wrestling" was totally Vince's idea or if he's got a bunch of advertising/marketing/media bullshitters in his ear telling him he doesn't want to be associated with something as low/common as wrestling and that there's a whole mainstream audience that would be turned off by it.

I know he has final say on everything related to the running of WWE but still he is influenced by other people's suggestions be it the talent or other people within his company.

I'm sure during his time as a commentator/interviewer he was quite happy to use the word wrestling.

I can still remember when Jim Ross used to talk about "catch as catch can" all the time, "catch" being another banned word.

I can still remember when Jim Ross used to talk about "catch as catch can" all the time, "catch" being another banned word.

"Catch" is just what a lot of mainland Europeans call wrestling. WWE wants the TV channels there to stop using it. "Catch" isn't a banned word for English-language commentators, and I'm sure they'll still bust out "catch as catch can" to take the piss during diva matches.

I think the disassociation from wrestling is a move from Steph, she seems to be the one who most wants to change the way the company is viewed, I dont think it would have taken Vince nearly 30 years to suddenly decide he doesnt want to be called a wrestling promoter and they are never gonna change their main show of the year's name so its all a bit pointless to me, but I think its Steph's influence personally

Archived