My DVD-RW drive has gone missing

Slapnut

I was wondering if anybody here could help me with this. Yesterday I downloaded ConvertXtoDVD (a program I've used loads in the past with no problems). I was in the middle of burning a DVD when the program pretty much crashed. I ctrl+alt+delete, end programmed it and boom, my DVD-RW drive has suddenly disappeared without any trace on my laptop.

I can put a disk in and it makes a "loading" noise, but nothing happens. There is no DVD drive present in My Computer or in Device Manager. I've scanned for new hardware and the usual suspects but to no avail.

I was thinking of just doing a clean restore of Windows, but oh....need a fucking DVD drive for that don't I.

Any help would be appreciated.

I had a similar problem in early 2007. My DVD Decoder on my laptop just vanished after I'd owned the machine for about 4 months. I can still burn DVD's and play DVD-Roms I make but can't play DVD's at all unless I buy a new Decoder but fuck that, I can live without it. Hope someone has a solution for you.

mine did this about a year ago (all on its own too),

Erm, i think you need to add device, or find device you may need to uninstall the dvd drive.

sorry im not much help, but its something to look at?

Yeah tried all that stuff. The laptop isn't picking up any new device and isn't even seeing that there's a DVD drive installed.

• Paid Members

Ah, you've reminded me of an old laptop that did the same to me, and have no idea what triggered it! I ended up sending it back to PC World a couple of times and failed to restore it on both occasions. Sorry to not be of any more help :(

• Paid Members
Ah well, cheers for the help guys, but luckily I turned on my laptop this morning and it was back to normal. Don't know what happened, just worried it's gonna happen again now.

It may be hardware? For example, the connection being loose and moving it about can decide whether the connection succeeds or not?

Archived