Web Design Software

neil's bitch

• Paid Members

Morning all,

I havent created a website in a long long time, and was thinking of trying to get my head into some new software. Personally the best thing i ever used was Dreamweaver (a long time ago) but am aware there is some better stuff out there currently!

Let me know which software you use/how much/how good/how easy it is, and it'd be much appreciated!

• Paid Members

Unfortunately good websites aren't made with good software. The best websites are the ones where a client-side developer has hand-written the HTML and CSS with accessibility, browser compatibility and W3C standards in mind.

Dreamweaver's come a long way, but when using design view it can only guess what you want to do and therefore mark-up isn't as lean or optimized as if it were done by hand.

To answer the question, on Windows I use e text editor, which is great for PHP development with its tab-triggered snippets. On Mac, I use Espresso.

• Paid Members
Unfortunately good websites aren't made with good software. The best websites are the ones where a client-side developer has hand-written the HTML and CSS with accessibility, browser compatibility and W3C standards in mind.

Dreamweaver's come a long way, but when using design view it can only guess what you want to do and therefore mark-up isn't as lean or optimized as if it were done by hand.

To answer the question, on Windows I use e text editor, which is great for PHP development with its tab-triggered snippets. On Mac, I use Espresso.

Hmmm , have checked out the ole E text editor, seems like an easy code editor which is cool, although again im not up to scratch on my coding these days sadly! Might give the trial ago and see how it works!

• Paid Members

Hmmm , have checked out the ole E text editor, seems like an easy code editor which is cool, although again im not up to scratch on my coding these days sadly! Might give the trial ago and see how it works!

I'm a developer, so I spend a lot of time in a text editor. However, Dreamweaver's far too bloated for me to write text, and I didn't want to be writing the same things over and over again.

As aforementioned, e text editor has tab-triggered snippets that means I don't have to keep monotonously typing out if/else statements, or class structures by hand. I can type if or class and hit Tab and common code blocks are automatically written for me ready to populate parameters and clauses. It's a God-send if you're a developer. If you're a designer, there's Photoshop or Fireworks.

I'll be slated here by the old schoolers, but I'm CMS all the way I'm afraid. Joomla 1.6 has just been released, and 2.0 is due in six months. Easy to install, css is dead easy to adjust, and there are so many plug ins available.

Majik

Archived