Survivor Series

yullie79

From Nodq.com

"WWE officials are once again looking to get rid of the Survivor Series pay-per-view in November. They reportedly want another concept pay-per-view to replace the big November event, which has been a WWE tradition for years."

Is this not a concept pay per view?? but they never book it as one??

• Paid Members

I've got a concept idea for them. Top to bottom, a whole card of eight or ten man elimination matches where the team captains are embroiled in on going rivalries and select teams for themselves, usually picking guys they are friends with or who are feuding with members of the opposing teams.

Think that would work?

I've got a concept idea for them. Top to bottom, a whole card of eight or ten man elimination matches where the team captains are embroiled in on going rivalries and select teams for themselves, usually picking guys they are friends with or who are feuding with members of the opposing teams.

Think that would work?

Hmmm.

I think an entire PPV of random Triple Threat matches sounds better. They could call it Triple Threat or something.

I remember the first time this news came out and everyone was disappointed until they found out they'd scrapped the plans to get rid of it so I don't know why they feel the need to scrap it again. I think some concept pay per views are just stupid, I obviously love Royal Rumble and Money in the Bank has made a great concept for a pay per view now as it helps to elivate new talent, in a similar way to King of the Ring. I think ones like Hell in a Cell and TLC are just a bit unneeded, the point in those matches were that fans would get very exicted at the thought of them as they weren't on that much and usually signified the end of a big feud, now fans can see three Hell in a Cells in one night, all during the PG friendly era, so they aren't allowed the same violence they once had (and WWE trying to make a big deal of how violent Hell in a Cell matches are during this time is a bit of a joke), also a similar point for TLC, but with slight differences to each match, eg. a TLC match, a tables match and a chair match in one night. These kind of events are overkill for the night and for the gimmick match.

I really liked the old concept PPVs like Royal Rumble, King of the Ring, Survivor Series and also the newer Money in the Bank, for me just having those as the big concept PPVs of the year would be great. To hear Survivor Series may be facing the axe again is a bit of a downer, especially as it shows they really want to get rid of it now, this being the second time they've expressed interest in replacing it. I thought the Bragging Rights main event is a little similar to Survivor Series but why not just have the trophy and have the Raw team face the Smackdown team at Survivor Series for it, like I think they did one year, then that's one elimination match done. Another could be The New Nexus vs. The Corre (if they go down the route of both stables feuding, which looks quite likely now). That's two of those matches done and then maybe add one more but two might be enough.

The thing is in the short term the gimmicked PPV's like Hell in a Cell and TLC will probably do better than if it was called Backlash or No Mercy but in the long term what difference will it make? After a while the same old problems with creating interesting characters and feuds will pop up and the audience won't be excited by the prospect of a Hell in a Cell match anymore because they know exactly when it happens every year. There is no suprise factor.

Plus does this not push the WWE into a corner? It limits what matches they can use now because most of the gimmicked matches can only happen at certain events. 2 years ago Edge vs Undertaker had a great feud with a logical conclusion inside Hell in a Cell at Summerslam. If that happened now it would have had to have been an Iron match or something because it wasn't at the Hell in a Cell PPV so they couldn't have that match.

Survivor Series has been on it's arse for years now anyway. I want to keep it because I'm like a boring old fart when it comes to wrestling and hate changes like that but in reality it's not like Survivor Series is in good shape anymore.

I remember the first time this news came out and everyone was disappointed until they found out they'd scrapped the plans to get rid of it so I don't know why they feel the need to scrap it again.

Because no fucker's interested in paying $50 or whatever it is for a card of tag matches when you get them every week on Raw and Smackdown. The concept of Survivor Series was fucked when the TV shows started having wrestlers interact with each other rather than jobbers, bar the few times they've found a use for it (ending the Invasion, Austin v Bischoff, maybe one or two others?). 2010 would've been a good year to actually use Survivor Series for something what with Nexus and all, but Bragging Rights and the Cena Fired storyline seemed like better ideas.

digforvictory was right. We can all whinge about it, but we're not doing it because Survivor Series is good, we're just doing it because it was a big deal when we were kids used to Skinner vs Barry Hardy main events and the one thing we hate more than a stagnant wrestling product is change.

• Paid Members
the one thing we hate more than a stagnant wrestling product is change.

Bang on. Haven't read a truer sentence for epochs. Kudos, crown well earned.

Archived