Most Enjoyable Royal Rumble Hype Angles...

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Fairly often when Pat Pattersons baby is approaching and everyone's got Rumble Fever in their hearts WWE actually decide to promote the big 30 (or 40, whatever) every man for himself match. Usually by throwing out some over-the top rope match stips, having some big hoss chuck a bunch of fellas over the top rope to put everyone on notice or some fun with entry number stips + angles.

There's been many over the years, for me though, i particularly enjoyed the 1999 Corporation/DX Raw Royal Rumble to decide the Number 30 entrant, culminating in Vince entering himself, thinking he'd won, celebrating, only for Stone Cold to distract him and Chyna to mosey on down and dump Vince out and yoink the number 30 spot and cement herself as the first female entrant into a Rumble. As well as Vince doing a hoaky number drawing for Austin to be the number 1 entrant, only to be countered by Commish Michaels making Vince the number 2 entrant. Then Vince putting the $100K bounty on eliminating Austin. Tremendous, tremendous angles and booking and really the height of the Vince-Austin feud. Throw in Vinces training videos chasing chickens and 'I HATE AUSTIN, I HATE AUSTIN!' and you've got the recipe for fried awesome right there.

I'm fond of some others too but, that's the stand out for me and i'll leave the rest for you lot to reminisce over and get yourself some RUMBLE FEVER!

• Paid Members

No specific angle but the hype for the 1992 Rumble has never been bettered. The fact that the World Title was on the line, in an era where winning it meant something, put the match over the top for a start. Then the fact that there were so many guys who could've won it, Hogan, Sid, Flair, Piper, Savage and Undertaker. Then it had the feuds woven into the build up. Savage and Jake, Flair and Piper and Hogan and Undertaker. Plus the anticipation of Flair and hogan (and Sid and Hogan) clashing for the first time. Then some awesome mid-carder's, a freshly turned Shawn Michaels, the Bulldog, Boss Man, Dibiase, Tornado and a load of long standing WWF acts to round it out. Best hype ever. Best match ever. Best performance ever. Best promo ever.

• Paid Members
Yokozuna's elimination of Randy Savage in 1993 was just crazy, if this happened now the IRC would go nuts! LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq_GocsUZRE

Even as a 12 year old, I remember thinking how that made no sense at all! I really don't know what they were thinking.

Even as a six or so year old I couldn't believe Macho went for a pin, didn't seem like him at all, It was more of a "Oh no Macho's gone for a pin" rather than saying it was unrealistic of course. Then I remember being dissapointed how easy he went over the ropes after all the hard work he'd done.

• Paid Members
Yokozuna's elimination of Randy Savage in 1993 was just crazy, if this happened now the IRC would go nuts! LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq_GocsUZRE

Even as a 12 year old, I remember thinking how that made no sense at all! I really don't know what they were thinking.

You could justify it as "instinct" though. I think the way Savage gets eliminated is more stupid than his pin attempt. In fact, the pin attempt doesn't really bother me.

The pin attempt should bother everyone, what with the fact the match doesn't have a Ref and Pins don't count. The daft thing is the bookers (Patterson) must have thought it would be so cool to have Yokozuna kick out of a pinning attempt and eliminate Savage so logic was thrown out of the window. Notice though from almost this moment on Savage was not used as a wrestler for a very long time.

Savage was strangely booked at that point, was last man in Rumble then not at Mania apart from commentary? I cant remember, a Macho Man vs Razor Ramon match sounds more Wrestlemania and would get hall over more than Bob Backlund.

On Topic- HBK from last year was good cos he 'HAD' to win to get taker so it put a different slant on it.

• Paid Members
I watched the 1993 Rumble last night.

I had actually forgot the ending of the match, re-watching it was awful. it have been better if, Savage had come into the Rumble at say number 13 etc, so that way they could blame the pin attempt on tiredness.

What else was Savage going to do with him? He was never going to pick him up and throw him over the ropes, was he? It was an odd finish though. It made Savage look like a pudding. I can only imagine that they thought that was a sacrifice worth making to get Yokozuna over.

What else was Savage going to do with him?

Wait for Zuna to return to his feet and stalk him ala Orton setting up the RKO or HBK setting up Sweet Chin Music. But no, Savage jumps on top of Zuna and waits for a while. Makes Savage look like a nit and as you could tell by the crowd reaction, makes the whole thing an anti climax.

Archived