Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont normally post my Ardeer reports on here, but we actually won a game today, so here it is:

Ardeer Thistle 3 Kello Rovers 2

It was three going on thirty as Ardeer picked up their first win of the season at home to Kello. Recent games against the Kirkconnel team have been incident-packed and this one continued that record with five goals, three penalties and three red cards.

Ardeer took the lead twenty minutes into the match when the Kello goalkeeper sent a clearance straight to Lee Munro on the right wing who lofted the ball over everybody and into the net from 25 yards. It was a great effort for his first league goal of the season. Things got even better for Ardeer 12 minutes later when they were awarded a penalty, with the Kello defender being sent off for the challenge as he was the last man. Unfortunately Darren Quinn hit the worst penalty ever.....only kidding Tinny, it was a decent penalty but the keeper did well to save it.

With their man advantage Ardeer dominated most of the second half and had several chances to score. Scott Reid had a close range effort saved early on and Lee Munro had his deflected shot headed off the line from the resultant corner. Kello were struggling and went 2-0 down on 54 minutes. A Scott Reid cross was harshly adjudged to have been handballed by an opposition player in the box and Ardeer were awarded a second penalty. Reid then stepped up himself to take the penalty and give Ardeer a two goal lead. Ardeer fans were probably pinching themselves when the team went 3-0 up on 66 minutes. The Kello keeper was at fault as he was only able to parry a Munro shot and that allowed substitute Martin Gibb to score from the rebound.

At this point it looked as if Ardeer may run riot but Kello were awarded a penalty three minutes later. Ardeer's hopes of a first clean sheet in over a season were dashed when the penalty was converted successfully but victory looked assured shortly afterwards when Kello were reduced to 9 men. It was sheer stupidity from the offending player as he booted the ball at an Ardeer player from close range in protest at a free-kick decision right in front of the referee. Kello didnt give up and their cause was helped on 82 minutes when one of their players managed to con the referee into sending off Toni Paton. It was Kyle Lafferty-esque as the player fooled the official into thinking that Paton had headbutted him when in fact there was no contact at all. The Kello player should have been sent off himself for his play-acting and Ardeer will be appealing Toni's red card. With players on both sides tiring Kello scored a second goal on 86 minutes and it looked like Ardeer may throw away victory. The tension was unbearable with a further 10 minutes of football played, but Ardeer managed to hang on and secure the deserved three points.

Ardeer could have scored a lot more than three, but a wins a win and we can hopefully get several more throughout the season. I was going a bit too mental throughout the game too choose a man of the match but I consulted Dougie McGuire and Derek Gemmell after the game was over and it was decided that Stefan Johnstone, who had a solid game in defence, should get the award. Overall, it was a thoroughly exhilarating match and everyone is delighted with the win.

Sounds like a belting match to be honest. Hate those days when you have a million chances to score and then the other team starts that comeback making the final moments horrific viewing.

Morton 1-2 Cowdenbeath

What a lot of shite. Not many positives to come out of this game. Sean Fitzharris from Celtic is one though, as he showed bags of skill and whipped in some cracking crosses. Cowdenbeath's first goal was a peach, and gained applause from the majority of the cowshed. Their second came because of pure comedy defending though.

Excellent performance from Celtic again. Our league form has been exemplary thus far. Thank the good dude for St. Paddy - he is the most entertaining, unpredictable and dare I say best player in the league at the moment. My veneration of him is almost reaching man-crush stage: just thinking about Paddy McCourt makes me smile. What a guy.

I'm also pretty impressed with the way the rest of the team is playing. James Forrest is a superb young player and has a very bright future ahead of him, bags of potential there. Izaguirre seems to have rectified our left back problems, and Maloney seems to have reached his best and most consistent vein of form since his return to the club (even if he did miss a few sitters today). Murphy also silenced my doubts today and I thought he had a fine game.

Good to finally have a left back that can defend. Maloneys miss in the 6 yard box was inexcusable though, he did the exact same against Utrecht, all he had to do was hit the ball, anywhere would've done, just fucking hit it.

I didn't think the performance was that great until Kayal came on for Brown to be honest. Brown has been good so far this season but he was back to his usual today. In the first half especially, everytime the ball went near Loovens, I was shitting myself. Also getting fed up of the fact that hardly any goals are getting scored down my end of the stand, although that's just a personal gripe out of selfishness. :D

Before DoctorWho comes in and airs Jim Jefferies views:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mefw/notoff1.jpg - First Goal

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mefw/notoff2.jpg - Second Goal

And also, just while Jefferies is in the media going mental, it's funny how he's forgot about when Samaras' goal was disallowed in the 2nd half:

258s182.jpg

Jim Jefferies is moaning fat cunt. He cries about everything and anything he can after his teams play Rangers or Celtic. I remember us beating Kilmarnock 4-0 at home and after the game he said two goals were offside and one was a foul on the keeper. He then went on to say Killie should have won the game.

Jim Jefferies is moaning fat cunt. He cries about everything and anything he can after his teams play Rangers or Celtic. I remember us beating Kilmarnock 4-0 at home and after the game he said two goals were offside and one was a foul on the keeper. He then went on to say Killie should have won the game.

:laugh:

Maloney looked a wee bit offside but in truth, it was really fucking close. One of those ones where you don't have a choice but to give benefit of the doubt to the assistant.

I will admit even looking at the still the Maloney one is inconclusive, in which case the rules do state that the attacking team gets the benefit of the doubt anyway. Jefferies is going round saying it was "yards" off. :laugh:

Kenny Miller's goal was so so important. And his hat trick on Tuesday should put us in a great position to qualify for the last 16. :)

dont be stupid...miller will get a double, davis deflected free kick and a vidic own goal... i reckon man u will score 1 tho aswell..but ill take 4-1..........

Jefferies is a delusional, sour-faced old goat - always has been, and his lackey, Brown, is just as bad. Fortunately, his teams rarely get the better of you, so he remains mostly an insignificant object of amusement rather than a real annoyance. His post match assessment of games consistently verge upon parody and Saturdays antics were just typical of him.

He seems to have a problem comprehending the fact that to score however many goals, you generally have to create a whole lot more chances. In his mind, if his team carve out say 2 or 3 chances duing a whole 90 minutes, that should be 2 or 3 goals to his team - never mind the minor fact that the other team are having to carve out maybe a dozen or more good openings in order to score their 2 or 3 goals.

What Ally describes is classic Jefferies. Excuses and delusions - like a Scottish 'Comical Ali'. Granted, managers have to concentrate on their own team during a game, but more often than not with him, it's almost as though he's living on another planet. It will be interesting to see his climbdown now it's been established that all he's got to moan about is a borderline, by no means stonewall penalty, and a 50/50 offside decision for the second goal, which is easily offset by the Samaras disallowed goal.

Saturday was a strange game. Hearts never particularly impress you with their football, but they are usually pretty robust, difficult to break down, and ensure that if you are going to take something from them, you're going to have to really battle for it. Yet for some reason, they were the polar opposite of that on Saturday. Celtic weren't even that great but the chances they created and the ease of which they were splitting open the Hearts defence with their high line was something i've never saw in years.

On another note, whats with all the great strikes in the SPL so far this season? They've played less than a month yet there's about a dozen Goal of the Season contenders already.

i saw the celtic goals, just bad defending on hearts part... though am i right in saying they had midfielders playing defence or something like that... so it cant be helped.

looking forward to tomorrow night now, hoping we put in a performance thats gutsy, determined, and every player is fighting for breath at the end of the game. If they do that and we get beat by 6 or 7 goals, then ill be happy

Archived