Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Who else is there though? Stark has done nothing of note that I can think of at club level. Morton, St Johnstone and Queen's Park hardly screams out as someone who should be in charge of one of Scotland's 'biggest' clubs. But there is not much else about. Calderwood? MacPherson?

No one really stands out as a great shot. Steve Clarke was all set for the Hibs job but that fell through. If it came down to cash, would the Dons have enough? I wonder if Derek Adams would have been an option too.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
We need to be hugely careful about who we appoint before we end up with another Ebbe Skovdahl. Honestly, I think the time has come for us to run begging back to Jimmy Calderwood.

You and your Jimmy Calderwood shite again.

Jimmy was at it again in the press over the weekend

• Paid Members
We need to be hugely careful about who we appoint before we end up with another Ebbe Skovdahl. Honestly, I think the time has come for us to run begging back to Jimmy Calderwood.

You and your Jimmy Calderwood shite again.

Jimmy was at it again in the press over the weekend

I still fail to understand why Aberdeen fans dislike Calderwood. No Aberdeen manager since Roy Aitken got Aberdeen as consistant as they were in the league. Yet some of the Calderwood haters were disappointed when Mark McGhee got sacked. Despite getting something like 4 points out of 36.

Maybe it's because Calderwood was a Rangers man and his assistant was an ex Rangers player?

• Paid Members
I really don't understand why some Aberdeen fans fault a guy who achieved so much with the club with so little to work with.

Are you fucking serious?

Aberdeen wages-wise were the 4th biggest spenders during Jimmy's reign.

That makes the top 6 a bare minimum. Jimmy talks it up like he had to send a team of cripples out every Saturday.

McGhee made a mess of transfers overall in summer admittedly but i'm not sure what else he could do. The man identified 2 left backs he wanted to sign to replace the 2 that had left in the Summer and was told to ship out more players first. I personally felt he was trying to do the job with one hand tied behind his back.

Also Ally - The Two Jimmy's Rangers links weren't much of an issue until Calderwood started to constantly comment about how he couldn't show his face in his Dad's social club after we had beaten them. It seemed he would be talking about "Wee Barry, Big Lee/Davie, Super Ally" all the time. The nickname of "Tango and Sash" was pretty funny though.

• Paid Members
Are you fucking serious?

Aberdeen wages-wise were the 4th biggest spenders during Jimmy's reign.

Honestly, I've no idea whether this is true or not, but could you back up your statement? With the likes of Hibs, Dundee Utd and Hearts around I'd be very surprised if this were true.

That makes the top 6 a bare minimum. Jimmy talks it up like he had to send a team of cripples out every Saturday.

But Calderwood did more than qualify for the top six each season. He got us into Europe, we thrashed Copenhagen shortly after they'd beaten Man Utd and nearly beat a really good Bayern Munich side (and ultimately should have if it weren't for a dodgy ref) - Calderwood achieved something every season, and was very restricted in terms of who he could sign and how much money he could spend.

McGhee made a mess of transfers overall in summer admittedly but i'm not sure what else he could do. The man identified 2 left backs he wanted to sign to replace the 2 that had left in the Summer and was told to ship out more players first.

Well he could have not made a mess of transfers for a start.

I personally felt he was trying to do the job with one hand tied behind his back.

And Jimmy had it better?! The fans were contantly on his back, the board were even though he was actually doing well! On top of this he had virtually no money to spend and also had to shift players to sign them. Willie Miller even admitted this!

Also Ally - The Two Jimmy's Rangers links weren't much of an issue until Calderwood started to constantly comment about how he couldn't show his face in his Dad's social club after we had beaten them. It seemed he would be talking about "Wee Barry, Big Lee/Davie, Super Ally" all the time. The nickname of "Tango and Sash" was pretty funny though.

So Calderwood was talking about the fact his team beat Rangers. And that makes it an issue?!

Absolutely bizarre. How anyone can fault a successful manager is beyond me. I suspect that even if he came back and turned things around the fans would still turn on him a few months down the line.

• Paid Members
Yet some of the Calderwood haters were disappointed when Mark McGhee got sacked. Despite getting something like 4 points out of 36.

It is also worth pointing out that out of his last 20 games Calderwood won 5. one of those being against the almighty East Fife. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Yet some of the Calderwood haters were disappointed when Mark McGhee got sacked. Despite getting something like 4 points out of 36.

It is also worth pointing out that out of his last 20 games Calderwood won 5. one of those being against the almighty East Fife. :thumbsup:

Again I've no idea whether this is true or not, but he can't have done that badly overall as we qualified for Europe.

• Paid Members

Again I've no idea whether this is true or not, but he can't have done that badly overall as we qualified for Europe.

• Paid Members

Craig Brown and Archie Knox have turned us down.....

BBC Clicky

Motherwell have announced that manager Craig Brown and assistant Archie Knox do not want to be considered for the vacancy at Aberdeen.

The veteran pair, who work without contracts at Fir Park, spoke with officials from Aberdeen on Tuesday.

Brown and Knox, have firmly established 'Well in the top six of the Scottish Premier League on a limited budget.

And Knox worked with great success as assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at Pittodrie in the early 1980s.

Commenting on the approach from Aberdeen, Motherwell chief executive Leeann Dempster said: "Given the fantastic on-field success in 2010, it is not surprising that other clubs are taking an interest in our management team.

"With that in mind, we can confirm that representatives from Aberdeen Football Club met briefly with both Craig Brown and Archie Knox yesterday afternoon.

"However, both have decided to reject any approach and reiterated their commitment to Motherwell Football Club. We look forward to continued success under both men in the future."

That's a pity....if for no other reason than it would have been fun to hear David/Hardcore Harry's meltdown about stealing their manager.

• Paid Members
Craig Brown and Archie Knox have turned us down.....

BBC Clicky

Motherwell have announced that manager Craig Brown and assistant Archie Knox do not want to be considered for the vacancy at Aberdeen.

The veteran pair, who work without contracts at Fir Park, spoke with officials from Aberdeen on Tuesday.

Brown and Knox, have firmly established 'Well in the top six of the Scottish Premier League on a limited budget.

And Knox worked with great success as assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at Pittodrie in the early 1980s.

Commenting on the approach from Aberdeen, Motherwell chief executive Leeann Dempster said: "Given the fantastic on-field success in 2010, it is not surprising that other clubs are taking an interest in our management team.

"With that in mind, we can confirm that representatives from Aberdeen Football Club met briefly with both Craig Brown and Archie Knox yesterday afternoon.

"However, both have decided to reject any approach and reiterated their commitment to Motherwell Football Club. We look forward to continued success under both men in the future."

That's a pity....if for no other reason than it would have been fun to hear David/Hardcore Harry's meltdown about stealing their manager.

Ah, I'd have been delighted to see them. It's good to see the board are looking at decent candidates, other than Billy Stark, John Huges and Collins. Touch wood we'll get someone the bookies haven't considered. It would have been pretty funny had we nabbed Motherwell's boss for a second time. They could always have taken McGhee back...

• Paid Members
I cannot stand the man personally but cannot argue with Calderwood's record at Dunfermline which was excellent and there was steady improvement season after season albeit with lavish sums of money to spend for a club of our size.

Serious question. What was the opinion of the fans with regards to how Jimmy left the club. Both financially and squad-wise?

I'm not asking as some sort of troll. I've heard stories that the fans were glad to see the back of him at the end.

• Paid Members
I cannot stand the man personally but cannot argue with Calderwood's record at Dunfermline which was excellent and there was steady improvement season after season albeit with lavish sums of money to spend for a club of our size.

Serious question. What was the opinion of the fans with regards to how Jimmy left the club. Both financially and squad-wise?

I'm not asking as some sort of troll. I've heard stories that the fans were glad to see the back of him at the end.

If that was the case at the time I would imagine they soon wished he was back. As soon as he left...relegation. And it's not as though Steven Kenny wasn't given money to spend. He brought in a few players and unfortunately for the Pars they just didn't work out.

Archived