General politics discussion thread

David

I haven't read your link, but I heard a clip of him talking about this on the radio this afternoon. I can't really see what's disagreeable about his comments. Why is commuting such a problem?

Would you want to spend 2-3 hours a day on a bus for a temporary

I thought Tommy Sheridan would be preparing for a long jail stretch for perjury, rather that writing big blog posts.

You think wrong then. He's still as active & vocal about the situation in this country as he can be, which is to be commended.

Besides which, don't always believe the reports you're reading in the papers about the trial. I've been at the court quite a lot over the past few weeks, and the reporting i've seen the next day isn't really reflecting what's actually happening.

If you have an interest in keeping up to speed with what's actually happening, check out this blog which is very impartial.

On a related note, there was a terrific demo in Edinburgh today, staged by the STUC (Scottish Trade Union Council) which attracted over 20,000 people.

More than 20,000 people took to the streets of Edinburgh in a demonstration against cuts to public services.

The march and rally took in unions, political groups and concerned members of the public in a show of unity against the UK Government's spending review.

Organised by the Scottish Trades Union Congress, it aimed to highlight fears about the impact of Chancellor George Osborne's savings package.

Huge cuts amounting to about

More than 20,000 people took to the streets of Edinburgh in a demonstration against cuts to public services.

The march and rally took in unions, political groups and concerned members of the public in a show of unity against the UK Government's spending review.

Organised by the Scottish Trades Union Congress, it aimed to highlight fears about the impact of Chancellor George Osborne's savings package.

Huge cuts amounting to about

Bobbins, don't you know that both Stiglitz & Krugman are simply "deficit deniers"?

You can also add Vince Cable (pre-May 6th of course!) to that list. Some of his quotes on the subject make for interesting reading now;

"We must and will be fiscally responsible.

Unlike the Tories and their cronies who want to create a financial panic and run on sterling to frighten people into voting for them on May 6th. Playing fast and loose with the financial stability of this country for political gain

I haven't read your link, but I heard a clip of him talking about this on the radio this afternoon. I can't really see what's disagreeable about his comments. Why is commuting such a problem?

Would you want to spend 2-3 hours a day on a bus for a temporary

Edited by MinceMcMahon

I would spend however long it took to get there if I had a job, was going to commute from Preston to Macclesfield at one point by train for a decent paying job I know people who have done Birmingham to Blackburn and from further afield. You go where the work is. This has been the case for aeons All my lot have done it, so why is it suddenly a hardship now?

Good for you but that's not true for everyone. Most people are trying hard to get work, they're not lazy cunts and the last thing they need is patronising advice from people who would pronounce Gelli as 'jelly'.

Places like the Valleys have different values and strong community bonds but the tories just want to destroy this and turn it into an atomised society like most of southern England.

Edited by MinceMcMahon

Bang on. You can also factor in the not inconsiderable cost of daily commutes on public transport over long distances - costs which, unless I'm mistaken, are likely to go up rather than down under the ConDemolition.

Rail fare will rise by 3% above RPI inflation over the next three years.

Good for you but that's not true for everyone. Most people are trying hard to get work, they're not lazy cunts and the last thing they need is patronising advice from people who would pronounce Gelli as 'jelly'.

Places like the Valleys have different values and strong community bonds but the tories just want to destroy this and turn it into an atomised society like most of southern England.

Remember dude, I cant currently work because of my back, so how that is fucking patronising is beyond me. Iam itching to go back to work but its impossible.

Merthyr has the among the largest amount of incap claimants in the country and is why its always targeted. Its got fuck all to do with ' Valley Life' and more to do with the fact as I said before there is an entire generation who have grown up there knowing no fucking different due to the collapse of the mines and Konix.

Miners used to go where the jobs were hopping from valley to vally ditto for farmers and so on. Now its all too much for delicate blossoms fuck off and actually go where the work is rather than stay and bleat about it. If you live rurally and there is no work you go where there is work.

This has been proven time and again, take ooh i dunno Stroud which was something like 8th biggest town and city during the 17th and 18th century and has not got a population of 50k because over time the work fucked off. Many other similar towns have similar stories once their main industries fuck off.

But its the Tories intent on destroying it isnt it?

Remember dude, I cant currently work because of my back, so how that is fucking patronising is beyond me. Iam itching to go back to work but its impossible.

Merthyr has the among the largest amount of incap claimants in the country and is why its always targeted. Its got fuck all to do with ' Valley Life' and more to do with the fact as I said before there is an entire generation who have grown up there knowing no fucking different due to the collapse of the mines and Konix.

Miners used to go where the jobs were hopping from valley to vally ditto for farmers and so on. Now its all too much for delicate blossoms fuck off and actually go where the work is rather than stay and bleat about it. If you live rurally and there is no work you go where there is work.

This has been proven time and again, take ooh i dunno Stroud which was something like 8th biggest town and city during the 17th and 18th century and has not got a population of 50k because over time the work fucked off. Many other similar towns have similar stories once their main industries fuck off.

But its the Tories intent on destroying it isnt it?

What makes you think that these people aren't in a similar position?

Ever thought that heavy industry and incapacity benefit might be related? Is it a coincidence that the other town is in County Durham? Mining isn't exactly good for your health. :rolleyes:

Delicate blossoms? :laugh: