General politics discussion thread

David

Who do you think pays the majority of tax in this country?

Financial sector contributes about 40% of all tax revenue as best I can tell.

See, this is why Loki has what he has in his sig, you have literally no contemplation of the matters you're discussing. But you think your opinion's as valid as everyone elses, despite the fact that people like LoKi actually base their opinion on facts they have gathered, rather than stuff they've plucked out of the air.

When this is pointed out to you, you claim you're being unfairly picked up because you're not a liberal.

And it's just not true, it's because you're an idiot who is incapable of engaging in an adult conversation. So the sigs pretty much ok.

See, this is why Loki has what he has in his sig, you have literally no contemplation of the matters you're discussing. But you think your opinion's as valid as everyone elses, despite the fact that people like LoKi actually base their opinion on facts they have gathered, rather than stuff they've plucked out of the air.

When this is pointed out to you, you claim you're being unfairly picked up because you're not a liberal.

And it's just not true, it's because you're an idiot who is incapable of engaging in an adult conversation. So the sigs pretty much ok.

How the hell can you say I'm an idiot who is incapable of an adult conversation on the basis of a few posts out of thousands on a wrestling message board?

I read two stories on reputable news sights and calculated incorrectly that the financial sector contributes more than they do. I've admitted I've made a mistake. That's not something you will see liberals do very often, if ever.

Love how Happ's complaints about Labour's failure to police the financial sector is in direct contradiction to all his other beliefs.

How so?

I don't generally believe in "big government" but Labour WERE a "big government". If you're going to have high taxes and a ridiculous amount of control over everything, you better get it right. Because otherwise the blame lies entirely with you.

I'd much prefer the government to just do the essentials and put the onus on people to manage their own affairs. If you put your money in a bank that goes bust, tough luck, maybe you should be more careful where you bank in future, and perhaps spread your money arround to limit your exposure.

Too many people open bank accounts when they are kids to get free pogs or whatever and just stick with the same bank for the rest of their lives.

I think the government should repeal the wages act of 1986, that way the onus would be really on the individual to take personal responsibility for their money.

How the hell can you say I'm an idiot who is incapable of an adult conversation on the basis of a few posts out of thousands on a wrestling message board?

I read two stories on reputable news sights and calculated incorrectly that the financial sector contributes more than they do. I've admitted I've made a mistake. That's not something you will see liberals do very often, if ever.

Liberals never admit they're wrong? Lol what a bizarre statement.

And you've just posted to say you'd like to see the Government allow banks to go bust, which would destroy the country.

I can only judge your intelligence and ability to have an adult conversation based on what I see here and the overwhelming evidence suggests that

You have none.

And you are indeed therefore incapable.

Liberals never admit they're wrong? Lol what a bizarre statement.

And you've just posted to say you'd like to see the Government allow banks to go bust, which would destroy the country.

I can only judge your intelligence and ability to have an adult conversation based on what I see here and the overwhelming evidence suggests that

You have none.

And you are indeed therefore incapable.

Fine, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. As I am entitled to mine.

If private businesses going bust would destroy the country, maybe the country isn't on very firm foundations to start with.

• Paid Members
04_muslims_cctv_35.jpg

I don't know if the gamma on your screen is too low or something, but if we're talking about the guy top centre, the railing is going in front of the pillar which you can see extending above his hear in the distance behind him. Other than that, I can't see anything in that picture that's suspect.

And, yes, this belongs in the conspiracy thread.

Also, since I'm in work on a Sunday and have the patience of a saint, I took the time to track down this one:

For example, one company is reported to have been running a security exercise on the day.

This was a security consultant doing a powerpoint presentation to 6 people in a nearby office. He probably does 4 or 5 a week around London.

Incidentally, Muad-Dib is another of Duane's reliable sources:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8124687.stm

He believes he's Jesus and thinks George Lucas had the plot of Star Wars telepathically inserted into his brain by the Force.

Oh my.

Human (name): John Anthony Hill.

Human (birth): Sheffield, England, 1948.

Spirit-being (names): Muad

What is the point of having a government and a large, expensive public sector, when one private sector business going bust could destroy the country?

Why do we allow the banks to have so much power?

If the bank bail-out hadn't happened, every bank would have been in serious trouble - not just the ones who were bailed out.

Really? Yesterday you put up a link about HSBC thinking about moving their domicile to Hong Kong due to an increase in regulation and acted like it would be the end of civilisation if they left. And now you're wondering why we allow the banks to have so much power? Really?

What is the point of having a government and a large, expensive public sector, when one private sector business going bust could destroy the country?

Why do we allow the banks to have so much power?

If the bank bail-out hadn't happened, every bank would have been in serious trouble - not just the ones who were bailed out.

Really? Yesterday you put up a link about HSBC thinking about moving their domicile to Hong Kong due to an increase in regulation and acted like it would be the end of civilisation if they left. And now you're wondering why we allow the banks to have so much power? Really?

I'm wondering how we got in the situation where banks have so much power. Since they DO have so much power, HSBC moving to Hong Kong is a big deal.

Axe the wages act and allow people to be paid in cash if they choose. Make it clear to people if they choose to invest their money with a privately owned bank, it is at their own risk. Bank with the post office if you want your savings to be secure, but don't expect much in the way of interest, or overdrafts, and if you want a loan, look elsewhere.

So, in your scenario, Northern Rock would have gone under, taking with it the life savings and mortgages of hundred of thousands of people. How exactly do you see the rest of this scenario playing out? What happens next?

So, in your scenario, Northern Rock would have gone under, taking with it the life savings and mortgages of hundred of thousands of people. How exactly do you see the rest of this scenario playing out? What happens next?

No, because the country wouldn't have been in the same state it was in at that point if I was in charge. Obviously it's a moot point anyway. At that time Labour were right to bail out the banks. But they were also responsible for placing the country in the position where the banks had to be saved in order to prevent meltdown.

Do you not think it would be a positive thing for people to wake up and stop entrusting all their wealth to banks without even a moments thought about it?

Hang on, you've already backtracked on your previous post.

Make it clear to people if they choose to invest their money with a privately owned bank, it is at their own risk.

At that time Labour were right to bail out the banks.

I'm getting the distinct impression you've not thought this through at all. Time to start throwing out some random numbers, isn't it?

No, because the country wouldn't have been in the same state it was in at that point if I was in charge. Obviously it's a moot point anyway. At that time Labour were right to bail out the banks. But they were also responsible for placing the country in the position where the banks had to be saved in order to prevent meltdown.

Do you not think it would be a positive thing for people to wake up and stop entrusting all their wealth to banks without even a moments thought about it?

Well possibly. That said, although there is definitely an argument to be made that it became too easy to borrow money - small/medium businesses do need to be able to borrow money to start and grow.