Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

It's finally going to happen :love:

April 17th: Ok, we know you've waited long enough. The first three matches for the 5/10 Hammerstein Ballroom debut in Manhattan will now be announced. GHC Heavyweight Champion Takeshi Morishima and Bryan Danielson were given a chance to pick each other's poison. They have selected each other's opponents for the card. Morishima has decided to match Danielson up against a man that has held every title in NOAH. It will be Danielson vs. Naomichi Marufuji in a battle of two of the best that ROH and NOAH has to offer. These two met in 2005 at ROH's "Final Battle 2005" event, but they have each matured and gotten so much better. This one has the makings of a classic. Danielson has gone a different route with Morishima's opponent. He wants someone that can beat Morishima up. 5/10 in NYC will see a first time ever battle of the brawlers as Takeshi Morishima fights The Necro Butcher. OUCH! Danielson vs. Marufuji and Morishima vs. Necro already bring two unique, different matches to 5/10 in Manhattan. Now one of ROH's hottest feuds will come to the Hammerstein Ballroom, but with a different twist. Just signed for 5/10 is FIP World Heavyweight Champion Roderick Strong vs. Erick Stevens vs. Go Shiozaki. Since either Strong or Stevens will walk into the Hammerstein as FIP Champion after their 4/26 Crystal River, FL match, the FIP Title will be on the line in this one fall three way.

I don't really see a "UKFF at WM" thread and I got more enjoyment from the ROH shows so here are the thoughts of me and my girlfriend's Orlando wrestling experience (which I returned from a few hours ago): ...

I haven't looked in this topic for a while, so have only just read that report. It was a great read, thanks for posting. :thumbsup: I agree about people who are apprehensive about going alone to see Wrestling in the U.S.I've done it a few times and made a lot of friends from around the world each time.

• Paid Members

Manhattan Mayhem 2 - 25/8/07

Show opens with B.J. Whitmer shaving Shane Hagadorn

• Paid Members

No Caged Rage review :(

There is, I did a big double review post a week or so ago. Anyway, here's a re-seed :

Caged Rage - 24/8/07Chris Hero vs. Hallowicked - with four months worth of shows still to review maybe it

• Paid Members

Here's the results from last night, and a very in depth review nicked from the ROH forum...From PWinsider...

Keith Lipinski called in the following results from tonight's Ring of Honor live event in Chicago Ridge, Illinois:Pre-Show:*Danny Daniels & Rhett Titus defeated Trik Davis & Ernie Osirus when Titus rolled up Davis and hooked the tights.Main Show:*Austin Aries defeated Silas Young via submission with the Horns of Aries. Jimmy Jacobs came out and did a promo, leading to Aries announcing he wasn't going to join the Age of the Fall. Aries said AOTF is nothing but talk and put over that he slept with Lacey.*Alex "Sugarfoot" Payne vs. Mitch Franklin ended in a no contest when Necro Butcher attacked and destroyed both, winning a handicap match in 1:25 after chokeslamming Franklin on a chair. Necro then cut a promo about his 5/10 match against Takeshi Morishima.*Claudio Castagnoli & Pelle Primaeu defeated Adam Pearce & Brent Albright. Claudio hit the Ricola Bomb on Albright after Pearce struck him by accident with a briefcase.*In a SHIMMER Four Way, MsChif defeated Ashlee after an open-armed DDT. After the bout, Jimmy Jacobs and Lacey broke up and Jacobs was crying in the middle of the ring.*Chris Hero defeated Delirious with a loaded elbow.*TNA stars The Motor City Machineguns defeated ROH Tag Team champions Mark and Jay Briscoe in 23:40 when Alex Shelley pinned Mark Briscoe after Sliced Bread # 2 off the top. Very good match. The crowd chanted "One more match" but The Age of the Fall attacked the Briscoes. Jimmy Jacobs attacked Mark's arm with a spike, bloodying him.*Kota Ibushi defeated El Generico with a Phoenix Splash in what was described as an amazing, off the charts match. "So great and so many near falls."*Age of the Fall's Joey Matthews & Tyler Black & Zach Gowen defeated The Vulture Squad's Jack Evans & Ruckus & Jigsaw.*ROH champion Nigel McGuinness defeated Kevin Steen. The atmosphere was described as very quiet, as if the crowd didn't believe Steen had a chance at winning.ROH returns to the Chicago area on 6/28.

Credit to Thomas Bobo for this...

I am not sure if such a thing exists, but to me, if there was ever a perfectly paced ROH live event, it took place last night in the Frontier Fieldhouse. From the beginning of Aries-Young until Nigel walked out with his title, the shows ebbed and flowed pretty seamlessly from my 2nd row seat.Aries-Silas as the opener was fine and obviously because the story of the night was the Jacobs-AOTF-Aries-Lacey angle (which was so top notch, it is not even funny...If you didn't enjoy that, you don't deserve to be a wrestling fan because with all of the stuff they gave us and the subtleties left out there, this feud got TONS of juice pumped into it last night).Aries and Jacobs stuff on the mic was great, because Jacobs carried over from the great promo he cut on the AOTF website last week and when Aries finally broke his silence, you knew where he stood and gave it back to Jacobs in the worst possible way, just totally crushing his spirit and a main reason for his personal existence that we've seen in ROH for the last few years. The "Cry Jimmy Cry" chants were perfect.Necro killing the students and throwing the barbed-wire haymakers to bloody them had a dual purpose, at least to me. Obviously, he was sent out by Jacobs, who was reeling, but Necro too, on the heels of his showdown with Morishima, just brought his tremendous "I will brawl and kill you" attitude and put it on display.Claudio and Pelle over Pearce and Albright was a super hot tag...with Pelle getting abused by Pearce and Albright building to Claudio getting in wrecking those fools. Albright getting KO'ed with the "mysterious" brief case by Pearce was pure accident, but continues to develop a rift between Albright and the rest of the SnS bunch post-Hangmen 3 buyout.The SHIMMER four corner was fine. Nothing bad, nothing to set the world a blaze...it was really the post-match stuff with Jacobs trying to appeal to Lacey and get her to admit the Aries stuff that is memorable. Lacey played her role PERFECTLY with the facials and body language when Jimmy pressed her on what happened and then her departure from the ring, with the sadness that accompanies 2 people when they walk away from a break up...just really did Jacobs in.Hero-Delirious was also really good. Again, Hero with the "all business" approach is getting over. And props to the fans for not "cat-calling" for his old hijinx. Delirious used a lot of "headbutt" based offense (and defense) to stay in the match. I look forward to see the continued direction of Hero.MCMG and Briscoes was really just an unbelievable display. I was not live last year, but have watched their first encounter. I personally think this one surpassed the first and I cannot see an argument against that line of thinking. So much great action, SELLING, team work and a super hot final stretch. I cannot due this match the justice it deserves, but again...it is MOST definitely a match that when the DVD comes out makes the show "buy-worthy" on its merit alone. The post match, all 4 guys raising their hands in a show of appreciation and respect was great. Match #3, which we MUST get at some point down the road has already got me hoping it is one I can get to live.Jacobs and AOTF attacked The Briscoes post match, with Jacobs removing his gimmicked top from his cane and attacking Mark right in the head, severely bloodying him. Jay was held at bay and then Jacobs went again with an attack and this was the move that did the damage to Mark's wrist, that ROH has now announced will require surgery. Mark howled in pain and fled the ring.Jacobs then kind of starred down the rest of AOTF and proceeded to cut his own head with the cane spike, much to the disbelief of his mates. Necro in particular seemed disturbed, which should tell you something with his affinity for blood and brawls. Jacobs led them from the ring, again with that aura of his instability making them unsure of his next move.Ibushi-Generico was also out of this world and the fact that they got the crowd in a frenzy following the previous match and angle is a true statement to what they did in the ring. Generico had Kota scouted perfectly for the final match and his being able to cut him off at times, particularly with the Yakuza boots/kicks, was awesome. Kota again broke his sweet ???? out, but did even more than before, as we got a top rope reverse rana and the phoenix splash to get the win. As I stated with the previous tag, I cannot do them justice with my words, but WELL worthy of going out of your way to see when it is released. Ibushi's run was great (I only saw 2 of 4 matches) and I certainly hope he returns at some point, as I think the match-up with Aries could possibly surpass what we were fortunate to get now.AOTF over Vulture Squad was a fun match. Again, its slot on the card was damn near perfect coming off the previous match. All 6 did the spot-spot-spot to a finish match, but it all made sense. Jacobs sent AOTF to the back post-match and said that if Aries was a man, he should come out and face him like a man.Aries hit the ring and they went at it, slugging away. Aries had Jacobs in the corner and pounded away from the top. AOTF made their way back out and Aries dove off, into the aisleway to take them out. Of note, and this was throughout the night...Necro did not join AOTF in their attacks and whatnot. They were all able to eventually overtake Aries due to the numbers and Jacobs teased stabbing him in the head, but had Aries lowered again and came from behind him, showing the crowd that he was going to slice his throat open. Lacey rushed to the ring to appeal to Jacobs and save her new man.Jacobs grabbed her by the hair and held her from a dominant position, screaming at her and pleading for reasoning as to her decision to leave him and AOTF for Aries. Just when it looked like she was going to be another victim of Jacobs' declining mental state and aggression, when he broke down and left her alone, not being able to bring himself to hurt her and being so pained with the realization of all that went down. The rest of AOTF left Aries and tried to console Jacobs, only for him to push them off and head to the back. Aries and Lacey held each other after this, making sure the other was okay.Nigel over Steen closed the show and ultimately was a victim live of a crowd that was almost totally emotionally spent, which was understandable. Match was fine for what it was, Steen really was fighting for the title and Nigel was doing all he could to retain it. Late, Steen was sent through the ringside table following a clubbing blow from the apron by Nigel. Back in the ring, Steen didn't immediately succumb, but when Nigel finally hit the Jawbreaker Lariat, he did get the clean win.Really, I can't find fault with anything on this show at all...I really do feel that it was one of those shows (rare, maybe?) where everything was perfect in the slot it was in. You cannot control that the crowd lost its steam by the World Title Match and outside of that they were with and into everything the rest of the night.